National Newport "Res-O-Glas" Build from scratch

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by buffalohunt, May 4, 2016.

1. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

That's so cool, I think I'll build one too! A few clamps and a hair dryer should work about the same as that big ol machine, right? ;)

2. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

If that's vinyl tee molding in your pic on post 14, expect to have trouble with the tight curves. Also make sure you have the right sized slotting bit as there are several thicknesses available. I've used this stuff to make office furniture, once you get under about a 12" radius it gets interesting.
    Cheers,
    Woody

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If that's vinyl tee molding in your pic on post 14, expect to have trouble with the tight curves. Also make sure you have the right sized slotting bit as there are several thicknesses available. I've used this stuff to make office furniture, once you get under about a 12" radius it gets interesting.
    Cheers,
    Woody

I've got one of the airline fiberglass kits and in the directions, they say to make v shaped cuts in the molding in the area of the tight curves.

4. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

In that documentary, "It Could Get Loud" (or whatever it's called), Jack is teaching his son about guitars, and he puts his red Airline guitar down on the ground and tells his son to step on it. Some lesson about dominating the instrument or something.

I's sitting there screaming at the TV while this is going on, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!??!?!!!!"

5. buffalohunt

buffalohunt TDPRI Member

It seems pretty sturdy, When I route the neck pocket, I will have a better cross section view of the 90 degree bend. Also, the fact that I'm using ABS means it will be very forgiving to impact or force. It's a relatively soft plastic (compared to Acrylic plexiglas, which would easily shatter).

I'm thinking I will use a heat gun and pre-bend it and tape it in place to my mould to hopefully set some permanent shape in it. I will also consider supergluing it to one of the halves so that it stays snug and tight.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Any chance you could post pictures of the instruction sheets that they supply you?

6. buffalohunt

buffalohunt TDPRI Member

Today I formed my backside and trimmed both sides up.

Here's a trimmed up shot of the front.
    [​IMG]

Both sides side by side. This is before I trimmed them to final thickness (7/8")
    [​IMG]

I laid each piece on its face, and used a piece of wood cut to 7/8" to scribe a line around the perimeter. I then took a small japanese pull-saw and carefully cut out each side by hand.

[​IMG]

Turned out GREAT. It was here that I realized my two pieces were slightly different shades. They came out of different sheets and the one on top of the stack yellowed a bit with age. Normally this would bug me a lot and I would redo it, but I kinda like it. It's the front side that is yellower, kinda like it was hanging in a pawn shop window, aging in the sun.
    [​IMG]

The difference is less obvious with the trim in place.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I will be fitting and epoxying the centre block.

7. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

Have you built the kit yet? I was considering getting one, just for the experience of building it, maybe keep it for myself and finally learn to play. Of course, that's if my boy doesn't end up sliding it over to his rack!

Let me know your impressions, it'd be much appreciated!

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Very cool project !

I have 3 of the National Map guitars, 2 fiberglass (Val-Pro 84 and Newport 88) and 1 wood (Westwood 88). I never found a Glenwood I could afford. The name indicates the body shape and the number indicates the number of pickups and color. The Jetsons shape and the Dual Tone were made under Airline and Supro and possibly other names. I have not seen an original 62-64 map shaped guitar that was not a National. The Nationals were not inexpensive guitars for the time and cost nearly as much as a Gibson 335.

The Newport 88 3 pickup guitar was only made in black fiberglass. The pickups are single coils similar to a P-90.

1962 National Newport 88.jpg

9. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

$T2eC16J,!w0E9szN(WC-BRjlzhkCfg~~60_57.JPG Do you know what pickups you will be using , I have all the valco type pickups made by Roadhouse pickups they are worth every penny believe me .

I recorded something yesterday with this model in the bridge position on my strat .

best regards

Mark

10. buffalohunt

buffalohunt TDPRI Member

Awesome!

For now, I am just going to use a single humbucker that was salvaged from an Epiphone Dot. I am thinking that I will upgrade to one of the Valco remake pickups later on down the road. Either the cheaper ones made by Eastwood or the Roadhouse. I can also always add a second pickup later on. The thing is that I began this project with a lot of scepticism and doubt on if it would actually work, so I wasn't planning on sinking a bunch of money into it yet.

I am debating if I want to start off with the single pickup in the neck or the bridge position. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they didn't make them with a single pickup in bridge position for these guitars did they? Either two pickups, or just the neck.

Here is some of my mockup layouts.... With the pickup in bridge position, I had to redesign the pickguard slightly, and I'm not sure how i feel about it.

[​IMG]

11. Mike Simpson

The single pickup was in the neck position.
    Two pickups was one in the neck and one in the clear base of the bridge (on most models)
    Three pickup models like the Newport 88 I posted had neck, bridge and one in the base of the bridge.

12. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

I am not sure that there wasn't a version with only the bridge , there at lest 20 different name-brands made by valco .

It dose look pretty good anyway ...

I was not aware that Valco made some body out of plastic , i tough it was fiberglass , i know they used plastic as a finish alternative .

If you decide to make one of fiberglass , it would be so easy with the tools you have , you just need to make a mold of your mold to make the shell , the color is in the resin in the coating , once you have the mold you could make many more .
    You could make other shapes , etc even make molds so people could make arch-top plywood .

That is it i am jealous .

:)

Best regards

Mark

ps i also work on a supro build out of poplar look it up !

13. Mike Simpson

The Dual Tone, Sahara and some others were made with a bridge pickup only....
    The Newport, Val-Pro, Westwood and Glenwood "map shaped" guitars were not made with a bridge pickup only.

14. buffalohunt

buffalohunt TDPRI Member

I think I am leaning towards starting with the pickup in the neck. If I end up wanting the bridge tone, it's a good excuse to upgrade to two pickups.

I am putting a 3 position switch on it. (I mostly want it for visual appearance. I loved how these old guitars had a bunch of knobs and switches).

I always wondered what the switch and all the knobs did on a guitar with only one pickup. Is it similar to a Fender Esquire wiring?

15. buffalohunt

buffalohunt TDPRI Member

The ones I'm familiar with were Fiberglas. I am doing plastic because it is what is available to me, and to be honest I was a little doubtful of this working before starting. Unfortunately, I've only ever seen one real resoglas style Valco guitar. It was a 3 pickup Airline. The white one with the bigsby.

I'm going to check out your Supro build now.

16. Mike Simpson

On the knobs there is a volume and tone for each pickup and also a master volume.

17. guitarbuilder

I have had the kit for a few years. The center wood block needs to be epoxied to the back. That has been holding me back because it'll take a heck of a lot more than what you get in a two pack from the hardware store. Then the issue with the molding not just going in is just enough to make it sit. I ended up getting an orginal body with the short scale neck, that sits with it to keep company. It's the rounded edges that I find appealing more than anything else.

18. buffalohunt

buffalohunt TDPRI Member

Here is the first look at the centre block. I used ash because that's what I had available. You can already see that it's beefier than the original resoglas guitars.
    [​IMG]

In order to add spots for the back to screw to, I added some more blocks. The centre block grew some wings. I extended the block on the right all the way to the "horn" so that I had some solid backing to screw my strap button to. Then I had to rout it out to fit the switch.
    I gave all the wood the same edge contour as the plastic so it would fit nicely.

Here it is epoxied...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I routed a channel for the wires to run through to the switch.
    [​IMG]

19. guitarbuilder

Dual tones had two pickups. Belmont's had a single pickup. There was a black tripletone too. These were not the map shapes. I have owned all of these. I have seen Belmonts with just a bridge pickup and Belmonts with the neck pickup.

They were like the shapes of the one Bowie played.

http://www.mainstreetvintageco.com/catalog/item/4827275/6693261.htm

https://www.gbase.com/gear/supro-belmont-1957-red-1

https://drowninginguitars.com/2012/01/08/1959-supro-triple-tone-guitar-model-1575/

https://www.google.com/search?q=dual+tone+guitar&biw=1280&bih=566&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS3pD5uMbMAhUiDsAKHcYqDWAQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=qDKOaEZc0ziyPM:

and the reso dualtone
    http://www.usedguitar.com/2011/04/29/1960s-supro-dual-tone/

and reso Belmont
    http://www.hardtofindguitars.com/vintage-1963-supro-resoglass-belmont-guitar/

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  20. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

I don't know what it is, but whenever I reads this thread and see "Res-O-Glas", I keep hearing Forrest Gump doing his "Flex-O-Lite Ping Pong Paddle" thing in my head.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.