1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nashville?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EdgarHF, Sep 26, 2020.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

If I were to move somewhere for the music scene....

It would not be Nashville. Sorry, I learned that the hard way, lol.

There are many great players here, no doubt. Most of the top shelf guys wiggle their way into the studio scene. Many more make the connections here to build careers and although are based in Nashville spend tons of time on the road. Some of these guys even play out in town from time to time, but they don't live here to gig here. But, that's the player's end of it.

Yes, there are a decent number of venues with some diversity but for the size of the city? Every day the "music scene" becomes .01% more CMT lifestyle groups pumping out the recent chart toppers to southern frat/sorority scene. Party stuff. That's basically at least 3/4 of Broadway now if not more.

15 years ago this town was run down, printer's alley & other spots still had legacy players from Nashville R&B/Blues/Swing glory years. And down the street most open bars had top shelf steel/fiddle/guitar players going over the country classics in studio by day broadway by night. There's a hair of that Nashville left if you look hard but it's withering away.

There's just way, way better music scenes out there in terms of diversity. New Orleans, Austin, every major city in California and many others. Hell, if you like R&B/Blues Memphis smokes Nashville.

Is there enough diverse music to keep a fella busy? Yes.

Be forewarned, if you move into Davidson county you'll be spending 400K+ for a decent sized house that's cheaply built in a hood with zero sidewalks, underfunded schools and possibly a modest meth scene.

But, hey, it's your money!

FYI, I moved from Chicago.

Telecaster88, 8trackmind and EdgarHF like this.
  2. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I would hardly disagree with much of this at all. Except that, in spite of all of that... I still love it here.

EdgarHF and deytookerjaabs like this.
  4. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

OP said Music Scene, not Crime Scene.

5. EdgarHF

EdgarHF Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Austin is an option, I would be interested in. I may give Memphis a shot too. I have held a grudge against Memphis from back in the 70s when I was in the Marine Corps going to my A school in Millington. A lot of the Memphis clubs did not allow military people in their clubs. In their defense, the drinking age in Tenn was 18 back then they would be dealing with teenagers away from home with alcohol.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

My wife and I passed through Nashville in mid July, this was definitely the case with Carters and Gruhn's. Appointment only. Guitar Center was open however.

Regarding moving to Nashville, it's still a crazy place even under Covid rules but there were open air bars on Broadway Street with live bands. What a mix of little town intermixed with big city there in downtown. We did a street tour and located all the big studios, got my picture taken outside of Blackbird, all you can do in a pandemic. Tried the local BBQ and was not impressed, Oklahoma and KC had better.

EdgarHF likes this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Agree 100%.

There is almost no good BBQ in this town. You can find good baby back ribs, and that’s about it.

8. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Afflicted

You haven't been to Memphis then.

Mike H., TheGoodTexan and Ed Driscoll like this.
  9. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

It's a big city with pro sports teams, good live music scene, local history and not too far from nature. I've been a few times and determined it's not much fun with kids in tow. I made it a point to get to gruhn guitars because it's like a museum.

EdgarHF likes this.
  10. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I used to travel for business, and I've been coast to coast countless times, and lived in all four contiguous timezones, and there are only three cities I liked enough to consider moving to... Nashville was one. (The other two were Pittsburgh and Montreal.)

Nashville reminded me a lot of Denver before its boom, though now that Nashville has gone through its own boom it seems things are quite different. If I had the money though I'd certainly consider retiring in the area.

They're all trying to get to their next gig!

Ed Driscoll and EdgarHF like this.
  11. deytookerjaabs

Memphis has singers, I didn't think there were still BB Kings & Aretha Franklin type vocalists until I got drunk in Memphis one night.

Bar to bar, man those singers! Half the time they're louder than the P.A.! But, funny enough, the guitar player in the band is often that guy playing soul music through his Jackson Soloist with a 5150 and as he tries to figure what patch his modeler needs to be on he doesn't realize he plays the same solo on every song, lol.

If the great Nashville roots players moved to Memphis to back the great singers, man that would be something! Or that would be...New Orleans, hehe.

EdgarHF likes this.
  12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I can't tell if you are talking about opportunities to listen to live music, or opportunities to find paying gigs? I got the impression the OP is looking to hear music. No shortage of those opportunities in Nashville. I listened to a great sounding band on the back porch in an antique store. Ubiquitous would be the word for that.

13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A lot of Californians apparently have move in Oregon and Washington and I've heard the locals are not very welcome at all.
    Imagine a highway sign you are entering Oregon or Washington now go home.
    Is it at all like this where you live?
    I know a guy that lives in some rustic rural part of Kanas I forget exactly where. I looked at it on the google map and the small town had lot of room and was an hour and a half drive from a drugstore where he could pick up his girl friends prescriptions. the population is slowly dwindling. Does this sound like our town?
    000 Header_George_Herriman_Krazy_Kat.jpg

14. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Telecaster88 likes this.
  15. deytookerjaabs

I'm referring to the music scene.

Yes, there is a fair bit of music here. In my 30's I feel a bit too old to be screaming "woooooo" to Darius Rucker and $10 Budweisers but if that suits you just fine then have at it. The rest of the music scene, for a city this size, is slowly disappearing and relatively small given that it is dubbed "music city." But, yes, they still pay for bands at the airport so I can understand the impression given to a tourist.

16. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Not only am I moving to Nashville, I’m moving in with you! I like my breakfast at 8 o’clock. See you soon.

EdgarHF and TheGoodTexan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.