Nashville?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EdgarHF, Sep 26, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Dear everyone,

Please stop moving to Nashville.

Sincerely,

Everyone who already lives here

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Just be forewarned......NO state income tax does NOT translate to LOW taxes. Texas has no state income tax, everything is paid for with sales and property taxes. For many on low or fixed incomes, it can be a repressive system.

3. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I agree. I think the "100 people are moving there everyday" number is the kind of number someone uses for spin purposes. Found these numbers with some quick google. They don't really support the population explosion theory presented by the 100 people a day number. I found the numbers with quick google search, so I'm not saying they are gospel.

2020 pop 673,000
    2018 pop 669,000

The below link shows population history for the area. It also shows that the cities ranking for US city size hasn't varied much since 1980. A quote from the below link:

"Nashville-Davidson, Tennessee's growth is about average. 43% of similarly sized cities are growing faster since 2000."

https://www.biggestuscities.com/city/nashville-davidson-tennessee

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Ditto for Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EdgarHF likes this.
  5. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    I don't know the actual population numbers, but I have heard reports that Nashville has doubled in population in the last 20 years. I moved here in 1996, and I believe that. I got here when there was still a small town feel to it. That's long gone.

I have a friend who is a very successful realtor in town, selling million dollar homes regularly. She keeps her finger on the pulse of all things Nashville. She confirms the reports of 100 people a day moving the area, on average.

The other thing... Nashville is sooooo spread out. Not like Atlanta. Nashville city limits are the county limits (Davidson county)... they are one in the same. And each contiguous county to Nashville/Davidson is experiencing the growth phenomenon as well. You can get the Nashville experience by living in one of the surrounding counties too.

6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Agree. I get to/thru Nashville several times a year. While it may have the "music scene" the OP desires, Nashville is really another example of urban sprawl...call it Atlanta, Memphis, Chicago, etc. No state income taxes, but some areas have higher city/county taxes than others. There are many great places to live in TN, with easy access to Nashville attractions for a weekend, etc...that's how I'd do it. Btw, Mrs is a lifelong TN resident...and we've been in E. TN for over fifteen years now. Easy to get to Chattanooga, Atlanta, Huntsville, Nashville, Knoxville, etc for a weekend or whatever, without the "big city" closing in everyday. Happy Hunting!

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Austin, TX and Asheville, NC are also attractive places with good music scenes. But as others have said, it may be the wrong side of the wave at this point. Maybe people more hip than me can point to where the next cool music scenes are likely to be, that have not already been overrun.

Telecaster88, Fearnot and JuneauMike like this.
  8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Nashvegas is fun for a while, but eventually gets on your nerves. It feels like you are simmering in a never-ending Flex Seal commercial. The whole city is tooled up to separate you from your money, and then leave you dead on the expressway, the victim of an impatient soccer mom late for her hot yoga class.

The problem with shopping gear in Nashville is that everyone knows exactly what everything is worth. I loved the selection, hated the prices. Franklin is nice and very liveable and there's several small towns nearby that seem like nice quiet places to live. The Nashville music scene would be great, right up until you tire of the Nashville music scene.

But their minor league baseball stadium is heaven on earth. They just built it a few years ago. I'd happily retire there. And they have great food too.

9. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    What this doesn't take into account are the surrounding counties, which everyone here considers "Nashville" as well. You can live in Franklin, Brentwood, Mt. Juliet, Springfield, Hendersonville, Gallatin, etc... but it's still really Nashville.

10. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Very, very accurate.

You can find any music gear that you want here. And that means that we basically set the market value on the stuff. There are no deals to be had.

Ed Driscoll, EdgarHF and JuneauMike like this.
  11. EdgarHF

EdgarHF Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

That could be an option, I would still be close enough to get to the clubs when I wanted to.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  12. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

If you're into recording, Vintage King is worth a visit; they have a great collection of microphones, including classic tube mics:

[​IMG]

Also taken at Vintage King, here's me with (a lifesize cardboard cutout of) Rupert Neve:

[​IMG]

The Gallery of Iconic Guitars at Belmont University has the guitar collection of Steven Kern Shaw, the son of Artie Shaw, who owned some fabulous instruments, including a 1960 Les Paul:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  13. bigbreak

bigbreak Tele-Meister

Ditto, unless you have hot daughters.

14. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

This doesn't show 2020 numbers, but it looks like doubled in 30 years, with a lot of that growth occurring in the last 20 years. As a percentage, the growth from 1990 to 2000 was greater than the 2000-2010 or the 2010-2019, though without the number for 2020 the data is incomplete.

Doesn't change the fact that if you live there, you are experiencing more people, more traffic, more everything.

Capture.PNG

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    EdgarHF and TheGoodTexan like this.
  15. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Look at Rutherford, Wilson, and Williamson counties' growth. Those three counties (containing the Nashville suburb cities Murphreesboro, Mt. Juliet, and Franklin/Cool Springs, respectively) are a HUGE part of the Nashville greater metro culture and area. I would bet that 75% of people who commute into Nashville/Davidson for work, come from those areas.

stormsedge and loco gringo like this.
  16. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'd check out Memphis if I were in you're situation. All kinds of cool music-related stuff / history / bands to get wrapped up in. There's Sun, Royal, Stax, Ardent... close enough to Nashville guitar shops for a long weekend of insanity, yet far enough away to allow you an attempt at holding on to some of your retirement income.

Telecaster88 and daddyplaysbass like this.
  17. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    As of January 2020.

https://www.alarms.org/top-100-most-dangerous-cities-in-america/

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 12.35.36 PM.png

stormsedge and 985plowboy like this.
  18. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I moved back to Tennessee after living in California in the San Francisco Bay Area for 27 years. The cost of living here is way less than California. The property and sales taxes are comparable to what I was paying in California, and no state income tax puts about 9 percent more of my income back in my pocket.
    Gasoline here is also almost half the cost of California.
    There's a lot I miss about California, but not the cost of living, the taxes, the crowds, the traffic, and the ridiculous amount of regulations.
    Oh, and the other bonus - We sold our 1700 sq ft rancher in California and bought 4700 sq feet on 4 acres with our own private lake and had cash left over.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  19. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Knoxville has a healthy music scene as well. Couple of cool shops too. I couldnt do Nashville again. Too much of a mountain boy. I'd go to gig/record but not to live.

20. EdgarHF

EdgarHF Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I guitar store thing is just for my visit. Once I lived there it would be for the live music scene.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.