Nashville wiring question: Would a 3-position switch and a push-pull work?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Slow_Strummer, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Slow_Strummer

Slow_Strummer TDPRI Member

I have a wiring question:

I'm going to be ordering a custom Telecaster body from Warmoth that is routed for a Tele bridge pickup, a P-90 in the middle position, and (probably) a TV Jones in the neck position.

I want to keep the switching as simple as possible so I can select each of the three pickups all by itself (bridge-middle-neck), but still have the option of adding the bridge pickup in order to get that hum-canceling in-between sound:

Bridge
    Bridge + Middle
    Middle
    Neck
    Bridge + Neck

I know that some people have wired their guitars to add the bridge pickup using a push-pull pot.

Is it possible to wire this up using a traditional 3-position telecaster blade switch and a push-pull pot?

Or would I need to use a 5-position super switch in order to get each of the three pickups all by itself, as well as the in-between sounds?

One other question:

Since Telecaster pickups use 250K pots, and P90s and humbuckers sound best with 500K pots, should this thing have two separate volume controls and/or tone controls?

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome to TDPRI!

To get middle pickup on it's own, you'll need a 5 way (or the new 6-way). Another way to do it is don't put middle on the switch, and just turn it on and off via it's own volume pot. I don't care for this method...

Probably the easiest way is a Strat 5-way (not super), then you add a push-pull or toggle to turn on Neck or Bridge. That gives you all seven positions (three singles, four parallel including N+M+B).

There are about a zillion other wiring schemes for Nashville, but most of them do not allow middle on it's own, so right there you filter out a lot of confusion... I'm one of the few who seem to like the sound of the middle pickup... :)

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. moosie

Oh, meant to add, the Oak-Grigsby 6-way is a good option, if you don't want N+M+B, and you would prefer no secondary switch. The wiring is as easy as it gets, similar to wiring a Strat 5-way.

Slow_Strummer likes this.
  4. Slow_Strummer

Thanks!

This is helpful.

5. moosie

I would just use 500K pots, and add a 470k resistor across the bridge pickup. Whenever the bridge pickup is active, the net effective resistance will be as if you're using 250k pots.

Run the resistor from the bridge pickup switch lug, to ground.

Slow_Strummer and AAT65 like this.
  6. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Fender had a Nashville style Deluxe for a short time around 1998-99 which used a toggle switch for bridge pickup switching.

Nashville_Bridge_Toggle.jpg

Nashville_Bridge_Toggle_chart.jpg

7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I don’t like wrangling a 5-way switch so I just rewired my Shergold Masquerader (Tele bridge pickup + 2 Strat pickups) with a 3-way wired Tele style (B, B+N, N) and a push-pull on the tone to bring in the Middle: that way I get simple Tele-style switching and can still get the Strat in between sounds. However I have given up the Middle only, which I would like to have back. However that would need a 3-pole switch - all the push-pulls I have found are DPDT.
    If I decide that the M+N is enough in between for me then I might get the switch to disconnect the bridge when I’m in “Strat-mode” so then it would give M+N, M+N, M when the push-pull is pulled.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

When I "Nashvilled" one of my Teles, I added a mini-toggle between the volume and tone knobs for the middle pickup....and kept the standard 3-way switch for neck and bridge. You're correct, I lack the choice of middle only, but I preserved the "normal" N, N+B, B selection, plus could throw in the middle with any other selection. I never play the middle by itself, anyway, so it was no loss to me.

AAT65 likes this.
  9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

If that's all you want, a regular 5 way strat switch will work, Just reverse the middle and bridge positions from a standard wiring diagram.
    It will give you
    N
    N+B
    B
    B+M
    M
    No second switch needed.

garrett and moosie like this.
  10. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

If you just want those five particular sounds, here's a 5-way diagram I did a long time ago. You can use the 2 pole super switch from Philadelphia Luthier or Toneshapers for a more comfortable fit in the Tele rout, unless you want to get fancy with the tone control.

[​IMG]

To me, that's most intuitive, but if you don't want a 5-way switch, you can do a 3-way with push/pull to add in the bridge pickup. Wire it just like the common Strat "7-way" mod, but the 3-way switch makes it a "5-way" mod instead

Push/pull down:
    Bridge
    Middle
    Neck

Push/pull up:
    Bridge
    Middle / Bridge
    Neck / Bridge

And I agree, start with 500k pots and use a resistor to tame the highs of the bridge pickup.

11. Slow_Strummer

Awesome!

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.