Nashville wiring idea

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jfgesquire, Nov 21, 2019.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

So my last post got no reply, I'll try again with a slightly different twist...

I have the Squier Vintage Modified SSH Tele - stack/stack/mini-hum.

There's no real need to coil split as the middle Strat pickup is stacked - It's not like I need to split out the RW/RP humbucker coil for hum cancelling in the #4 position on the 5 way switch. There is NO hum from any of these pickups.

But because of the 5 way - I don't get neck bridge, or all 3 pickups, unless I install a push/pull to make a 7 way mod... but I am not a fan of that because then 3 selector positions are just duplicates.

Why not just make a Tele Control panel with three mini toggles, and wire it like a super strat with 12 different settings?

Other than trying to remember the different switch positions, what are the down sides?

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

Here's some info on the Dan Armstrong Super Strat scheme, courtesy of Premier Guitar.

I did that three toggle scheme on a Strat, and I was surprised how quickly I got to know where everything was. Go for it, sez I.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

downside - looks IMO. toggles just do not appeal to me personally ymmv.

I can think of a lot of alternatives I would like better than mini toggles:
    swap the middle and neck on std 5 way you'll get bridge, bridge/neck, neck, neck/middle, middle.
    use a new 6 way and make the 6th pos neck and bridge...
    use a 3 way and put the middle pu on a blend...

jfgesquire likes this.
  4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

ChupacabraCabrone1.jpg

5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

I actually was looking at that 6 way. What took so long for such an invention.

I see now that CRL and Oak Grigsby are now owned by the same parent company?

AND, I did think of using the 5 way but flipping the middle and bridge instead of neck middle like you mention... Hearing the tones I've got with the 5 way now, I think I would prefer having bridge/middle instead of middle/neck if I had to lose one or the other.

I would like to hear all three, though, and I like the idea of series/parallel switching thrown in.

I just need to find a blank plate, two single and one dual minis, and access to a drill press!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Thanks for the link!

Breja Toneworks, Don on YouTube has a very nice, clear video as well, for a pretty complex wiring scheme. In the words of Johnny Fever, it looks like psychedelic spaghetti!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

7. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

From my personal experience (I’ve owned two guitars with toggle switches for each pickup) it’s flexible but fiddly. For stage use I like a simple 3-way switch — easy to bang it either way for neck or bridge, easy to hit the middle position. If you change pickup settings then multiple toggles are a faff, and it’s harder to see at a glance what the current setup is.
    Having said that, Brian May (to name but one) has managed fine with 6 slider switches for decades — so if it works for you then great!

8. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

well, whatever floats yer boat as they say.

jfgesquire likes this.
  9. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

On my Strats I use a 5-way Superswitch and a push-pull volume pot. With the pot down the pickups switch normally; up, I get the N-B combo. This is active ONLY with the 5-way in the middle position, no other positions are affected at all. I don't get all-3 at once and I don't like that sound anyway (muddy) so no loss. I'd do my avatar Tele that way but it doesn't look like the Superswitch will fit without some routing and it's not that big of a deal. Sorry, no schematic, I always wire those out of my head as I go along.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.