Nashville Tuning

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kromanomo, Dec 21, 2014.

1. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

I bought some D'Addario Nashville strings and I'm going to try them one one of my Strats. I read they have a similar tone effect as a 12 string. Anyone using Nashville Tuning for music other than country? Can you get a Rickenbacher type jangly tone?

Guess I'll find out in the next day or so when I finally have some time. Just curios.

2. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We doubled some acoustic rhythm parts with a Nashville tuned acoustic as an afterthought. I can hear it but it's hard to pick out. Next album we'll probably have a couple of more prominent parts for it.

It may remind you of a Ric but it isn't really the same. Also, tuning was an issue. I put the Nashville strings on a D18 but didn't set up for them. I tuned for 1st position chords on one song, then tuned so chords above the 5th fret would be in tune on another song.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

It's fun for a certain effect, but not very practical for live use. I don't guess I've ever heard of anyone trying to do it on an electric, but it might be fun.

The main application is to double a regularly tuned guitar, playing the same exact part... just to add some sizzle on top of it, and be able to process it separately (panned different, different EQ, etc.) which makes the part "pop" a little better.

But when you're doing stuff like that, there are no real rules - what ever sounds fun and neat, do it.

4. Macstilton

Macstilton TDPRI Member

I ve been talking with guitar buddies recently about this as well! I got a 12 string set, to use the higher strings, but haven't strung one up as of yet.
    I read where Keef is and the Stones used Nashville set up guitars on a couple of tracks, and that he learned about it from a member of George Jones band... (I hope Im not making that up in my head)

5. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

The only way a high-strung, or Nashville Tuning, guitar will sound like a 12-string is if it's played in unison with a standard tuned guitar.

6. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I almost always used one somewhere on any recording I did. I kept my little Yamaha acoustic strung that way all the time. 10-12-10-12-20-26

My opinion and experience is quite positive. I think that the high-strung tuning definitely added a 'jangle' to the music. And I rarely doubled a standard-tuned part in unison. Most of the time I would capo the high-strung guitar and play open chords in a different position than the standard guitar; this adds a subtle complexity to the overall sound, and allows the high guitar to stand out a bit more.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I learned to play Wild Horses in open G with a few odd chords to get Keef's cool Nashville tuning in combined with the standard tuned guitar at the same time. I love the sound on acoustic, so I say go for it.

8. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Pat Metheny used the nashville tuning on a couple of his acoustic albums, but in Baritone key.

9. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

I just set my baritone up with the half-Nashville tuning (A to A) last week. Still trying to work out what to do with it.

10. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

OK, I know what Nashville tuning is and I know what A-A baritone tuning is.

But I can't get my head around a half-Nashville A-A baritone.

Could you describe exactly what this tuning is please?

Thanks.

11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Same here. I strung up an old beat up acoustic in Nashville tuning here:
    Internet collaboration through and through, music wise and someone used it for his video :D

12. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

Cool. I'm going to play around with some ambient loops using 2 different guitars. One with the Nashville tuning.

13. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

"Hey you" was played on a high strung acoustic (without a standard strung overdub). You can do some pretty crazy sounding arpeggios if ur high strung.

14. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

So I guess nobody else knows what half-Nashville baritone A-A tuning is either?

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Take Nashville tuning down a fifth

Paul Simon:

[​IMG]

16. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If you just put the d and g up an octave you can get some nice close voicings and walking bass lines at the same time

17. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

even just high stringing the "G" will give a noticeable high strung effect. I thought I read that's what the Stones did on Wild Horses

18. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

I strung an ovation with the octaves from a 12-string set and brought it along to a few acoustic jams. When there are a half-dozen guitars playing the same thing, it's nice to add something with a different sound.

19. gitarzan

gitarzan Tele-Meister

I used to do that at folkie jams. It sounded nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.