Nashville tuning, off to an interesting start

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by MrClint, Apr 16, 2019.

1. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Give it a try. The strings are like $4 on Amazon. Get a couple of packs if you are a thumper like me. :)

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

hard for show, soft for go... if you are a 'hard player' you will need to change gauges or you'll pop that g.

MrClint likes this.
  3. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Yeah, the G is like dental floss. I'll probably need a different string set. It's a journey right? Was hoping for an easy Uber ride. ;)

4. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

I ordered up some GHS 11-20 Nashville High tuning strings. Pricier but might be worth the extra money. Unless I pop another G string on the D'Addarios, I should have a sound sample recorded soon.

5. getbent

you'll get there! it will be cool... and then you'll want a tic tac bass... it is so fun to get all those sounds and put them to gether!

MrClint likes this.
  6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Sounds like, the way you play it might be better to use a standard G string and just tune the 3 bass strings up. You could then play your lead licks on all 3 treble strings.

Never done it myself - just a thought.

getbent likes this.
  7. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

One other variation I've heard of is tuning only your third (G) string up to the pitch of
    G at first string, third fret. I've never tried it, though.
    Obviously, you need a string light enough to make this work.

8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Just get a mando and get it over with! They're a lot more fun.

9. Charlie Bernstein

Smart question, smart answers. A guy I play with tried it for a while. To me, it sounded thin and washed out, like a zither. Why play a big old guitar if you don't want bottom?

But music is for fun, so why not have some fun with your strings? Anything's worth a try.

10. getbent

here is my favorite recording with ray edenton playing a bunch of hi strung geetar along with 12's and 6's... it is that airy sound that is so sweet... and Nicky Larson making me smile after all these years... what a gem she was!

on its own, it would be like a relish sammich... you still want the hot dog, right?

11. Charlie Bernstein

Very pro-sounding, and it fits Neil's voice. Hard to top Ian and Sylvia for pretty songs though, though!

12. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Nashville tuning is more common in rock music than many might think. You'll hear it on "Wild Horses" by the stones, "Hey You" by Pink Floyd, and according to the producer Warren Huart, those 12 string Ric sounds (actually teles with Nashville tuning) on some of the Tom Petty tracks:

He explains why Nashville tuning is a great alternative to a 12 string guitar because of better single note articulation.

13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I remember a David Gilmour interview where he described a Pink Floyd song that he sees transcribed, and sees people playing, in weird and difficult ways, when he did it with Nashville tuning and pretty much straight up-and-down arpeggios.

MrClint likes this.
  14. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Haven't popped another G string yet after replacing the one that broke. It's been a few days. Hoping it was just one of those things.

As promised, I recorded some Nashville tuned rhythm and lead for this track (towards the end):

15. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I play in a duo/trio with my fiancee and she plays acoustic on a few tunes. I took her cheapie Yamaha acoustic electric and strung it with a Nashville set. By itself it sounds weird but in a performance setting with another guitar it really adds a nice shimmer. Sounds like a big giant 12 string. She's not sure she likes it but I do :D.

MrClint likes this.
  16. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

@Ignatius - Shimmer is a good description of the sound. I have no desire to get a 12 string acoustic now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.