1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nashville Telecasters - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by go49ners, May 13, 2013.

1. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

I'm considering unloading my MIM Strat for a Nashville Tele. I really love that Strat sound but I just can't seem to bond with the neck on mine. I might try and find a different one that I do like (its out there..) but I figured the Nashville Teles seem like they could cover both the Strat and Tele world fairly well.

I'd love to hear from some reviews from owners of Nashville Teles - pros, cons, upgrades, Stratty tones?

Thanks!

2. NashTel177

NashTel177 Tele-Meister

I used to have one with a bender in it. The guitar played really well and did strat sounds pretty good. I just felt like the bender in that guitar killed the sound of it. If I was going to try another one I would try one without the bender.

3. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

Yeah... I don't think I'll ever own a b-bender guitar... haha

4. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

I just traded for a Mexican Nash Tele last week. I love, love, love it so far...and I don't see things changing. Others who have played around them more may have more insight, but to me it seems to handle the "middle" of the Strat really well. That cocked, slightly out-of-phase sound kind of like Mark Knopfler. It's awesome in either middle or the 2 position (bridge and middle). A similar but slightly different vibe with the 4 position (middle and neck) but still very cool. Overall, the Tex Mex pup is great !!

I'm probably overstating the obvious, but like I said, I haven't had mine long, but I haven't found the straight-bridge Strat tone or the straight-neck position Strat tone...

But, when all is said and done, it's a Tele...it can leap tall buildings in a single bound. Go road test one at the music store, make a trade, take it home and love it !! :D

5. Eric Ellis

Eric Ellis Tele-Meister

I've had a Nashville Tele for almost 10 years. I put a vintage bridge pickup in because I wanted a pickup with a base plate and had a 3 saddle bridge installed. Also, I had a push-pull tone pot put in that turns the bridge pickup on when in the neck and middle positions that give me 7 pickup combinations. I love it and it's great guitar.
    Eric Ellis

6. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

I got a Nashville but couldn't set it up well with that vintage 6-saddle bridge. Even the tech I brought it to couldn't do it. Ended up returning it and getting the Blackout Deluxe which is almost the same but comes with a modern bridge and the middle pickup is a Tele neck pickup instead of a Strat. I love it! It still gets that great Strat quack in the 2 and 4 positions.
    I even put in the Pickup Switch Upgrade from awesome-guitars.com so I could get all combinations of pickups, in/out of phase, and series/parallel settings.
    Will probably put on a 3-saddle bridge soon.

7. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

I have had one about a month. I really like it. I am taking it to my tech and he will change the bridge out for me to a modern MIM one like on the Standard. I like those bridges. I really like the pick ups on this... tele bite in the bridge and strat tones galore. I love it. I do miss the neck bridge combination and may have him configure that for me instead of the strat only pick up. The bridge middle combination is killer!

Corey
    IowaCarver

Attached Files:

8. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Tele-Meister

I'm a pretty big fan of mine. I have three tele's and this is the 'prettiest' sounding of all of them. I use it for clear, clean leads and rhythm. No setup issues on mine. My *only* complaint is that where I strum, I constantly hit the middle pickup. If you're strat guy though that shouldn't be an issue. Mine is all stock, and the only thing I might change on it eventually is the switch. With a five way switch, and three pickups, there are a ton of mod possibilities for different tones. My bottom line... The neck and guitar in general is huge upgrade from the MIM standard series, strat or tele. I think you'll be pleased with the upgrade.

9. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

+1.

I've built two so far. One for me and one for a friend who uses it to record backing tracks for his live gigs. Mine has a rosewood neck, his a maple. The 2 and 4 spot sound very "stratish" to me. I put SD STR-1s in the bridge spots, so you can still sound "tele-ish" as well.

10. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

? Your going to get tele tones out of the bridge and/or neck pups. They're tele pickups. Without the combo of the middle pickup, your probably not going to find straight strat tones.

As far as mods, changing the bridge, and/or saddles. I'm not a big fan of the stock saddles, even though I haven't gotten around to changing mine yet. A common mod is adding a push/pull pot to either toggle the middle or bridge pup on/off. And depending on your tele, you might want to upgrade the output jack. I know I need to change mine out.

11. kkolb71

kkolb71 TDPRI Member

My only issue after playing one for a while is it was really heavy.

12. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

That seems to be a MIM characteristic in general, however my Nashville is lighter than my Standard, but prolly not by much.

Corey
    IowaCarver

13. bstaggs

bstaggs TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have owned a MIM Nashville Power (Fishman bridge) for years and I've liked it well enough not to trade it off but lately I have been considering changing to noiseless pickups. I know some don't care for the N3's but I really like them in my Stratocaster. Other than the noise of single coils I would say my only real complaint is not having the traditional Neck & Bridge option. So if I replace the pickups to N3’s I will also look at adding a toggle to allow that position.

Overall I would say it is a very versatile guitar.

--
    bstaggs <><

14. PopsCC

PopsCC Tele-Meister

I've had a Blackout Tele for a little over a year and it's currently my go-to electric. You can get pretty close to Strat sounds, especially in 2 and 4.
    A local store had a good sale on older standards, so I was able to compare MIM strats to a MIM blackout Tele. To my ears, the strats were a little more mellow, while the Tele had more bite. In sum, you can get close, but if you want a Tele sound, you need a Tele, and if you want the Strat sound, you need a Strat.

15. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Holic

I had a Strat pickup in the middle of mine for a while. It was nice. I eventually took it out though. I also had a toggle switch that allowed for the neck/bridge mix. I wouldn't have a Tele that didn't allow for that mix.

16. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a good move if that's what you want. Or you might try putting a Strat neck pickup in your current Tele and find satisfaction for less money. It's an option...

17. bstaggs

bstaggs TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Another thought I had was to change the neck pickup to a mini-Hum like the 52 Hot Rod Tele. I am not normally a humbucker fan, but the YouTube videos sound fantastic.

--
    bstaggs <><

18. mslugano

mslugano Tele-Meister

Best of both worlds, IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. josh.sheffield

josh.sheffield TDPRI Member

I have an American Nashville with a B-bender on it and it's currently for sale because of the bender...neither one of my Pauls are even close to being as heavy as this guitar...and a two hour set is MURDER...however, the guitar sounds wonderful and plays great. Want another AM NASH tele, but minus the bender...

20. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I first got back into guitars about 14 years ago, I bought a MIM standard Tele.
    About a week later I took it back and got a MIM Nashville. Just felt and sounded more like what I wanted.
    It did me good for a couple of years until I got an AVRI 52.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.