1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nashville Telecaster Question(s)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JoelB, Mar 3, 2021.

1. JoelB

JoelB NEW MEMBER!

I have a problem most will envy. I bought a Nashville Telecaster and ended up winning one off a YourTube giveaway two weeks later.

Initially I like the sound of the Noiseless pickups but I replaced the control plate with ones from 920D with the seven way switching options knowing I would like to keep the Telecaster's bridge and neck combination.

After replacing the control plates on both I found out there is a difference in the pots used by Fender (1 meg) vs 250K in the 920D controls. The pickups no longer work for me; lost all the top end you would want out of a Telecaster. I no longer have the original control plates.

So I'm looking to replace the pickups. I'm looking at offerings from Rio Grande. The middle pickup is reversed wound so it would seem the Neck and middle would both be wounded the same and then be "out of phase" when used together. Is this a correct assumption?

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

The neck and bridge would NOT be out of phase, they would be identical wound and polarity, which is also in phase, but just not hum cancelling.

The noiseless pickups are kind of like a humbucker and that's why Fender used the 1 meg pots.

Why not get someone to wire in a couple 1 meg pots into the 920D control plates... Or maybe just get ONE 250k no load tone pot? That should bring most if not all your top end back to the noiseless pickups.

If you've got two Nashvilles, change the pots on one and change the pickups in the other?

If you'd like, I could make you up a control plate like this:

guts.jpg

3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am confused - why not replace the VOL pot (or both pots) on the 920D plate with a 1M pot? Perhaps I missed something. Keep all the nice 920D wires in place and just swap the pot(s). 920D would probably do it for you if you are reluctant to do it yourself. They are pretty good to work with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.