1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nashville Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by hutt, Jan 16, 2021.

1. hutt

hutt TDPRI Member

A buddy wants me to build him a Nashville Tele. I have built Teles before but never a 3 pickup version.Any suggestions out there for a middle pickup to go along with the Lollars I plan to use in the bridge and neck? And, which of the pick ups should be RWRP?
    Thanks

39martind18 likes this.
  2. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Glad to see your customer wanting to build probably the most versatile Tele made by Fender. Here is a pick of mine, it's a 2020 and is my second Nashvile. The first being like a 1996 sunburst, tort guard and the white Strat pickup in the middle. Back to your build.
    Get a Nashville Tele pickguard from WD Pickguards (huge choice of colors & plys) A five way switch from allparts. My old Nashville had Tex Mex pickups and my new Nashville has Noiseless. Neither one of them being my 1st choice for a Tele bridge pickup. With that said, I use the Nashville's middle pickup because that is what I used to use on my old Strat. Personally I prefer Texas Specials from Fender (good price and easily available) on the Tele neck & bridge position. I play 60s rock so I prefer some body in the tone, so check with your customer on his preferences. Good luck and may a great build be with you. 20210114_055015.jpg

Hey_you likes this.
  3. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Did someone say "Nashville"? I've posted this plenty of times, so why stop now.

I "Nashvilled" my 92 Tele when the neck had to be replaced after 28 years. Added a SD Mini in the neck, Area 58 in the middle, and Push/Pull on the tone to get neck/Bridge, and all 3 for 7 pickup combinations.

IMG_3641.jpg IMG_3642.jpg

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome!

I like my middle pickup to be RWRP towards both the bridge pickup and the neck pickup. So both N+M and M+B are 60 cycle noise canceled.

I like the middle pickup voiced, so that it can function well even though set really low - basically level with the pickguard. In general, I mean, as one of my favorite Nashvilles has two Seymour SSL-1s in the neck and middle, and a Bill and Becky Keystone T pickup in the bridge. I enjoy being able to switch to the Nashville and not having to worry about the pick (and right hand fingers) making contact with that middle pickup.

SPUDCASTER and Kris 1111 like this.
  5. Guitarist1983

Guitarist1983 TDPRI Member

I am in the process of adding a middle pup to my Tele. Did you come to any conclusions? I have a ToneShaper 2 for Telecaster Switch - SW5C unit in my Tele now and their instructions state that "a Duncan Strat neck will hum-cancel when combined with a Duncan Tele neck, while a RWRP Strat middle won't."

Keep an eye on pole piece spacing, too. I dry fitted a spare strat bridge pup and noticed the pole pieces were too wide. Neck pups likely have tighter spacing.

Anyways, I haven't wired in the middle pup yet, but I should have it completed within a week.

6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

You'll need to make sure the Lollars aren't RWRP to each other first before picking something in the middle.

If you haven't bought the pickups yet I would email Lollar and they can set you up with all three and make sure what you get is designed to get along with each other.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.