Nashville Tele with series switch

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by WarBeer, Oct 11, 2016.

1. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

I'm going to get a Nashville tele. I've been really missing position 2/4...however, I'd like to be able to switch 2/4 to series at times.

Now, I've never owned a NT...I'm assuming it's wired like a modern strat...with position 3 being the middle alone?

It appears that I can use a p/p pot as my switch? I've not come across this diagram yet. I've found just about every other combination though...lol.

Can one of you guys direct me to a reliable diagram? This should be a pretty easy mod, correct?

I read a post where someone mentions putting caps on individual pickup paths to correct for hi end loss?
    Is this really a concern? In truth, I'd be hoping for a thicker, darker sound in the first place. However, I've never played a guitar with this configuration...so, any advice would be most welcome!

2. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

There's a lot you can do with a 5-way superswitch but at the end of the day you only have 5 positions and therefore 5 different sounds to choose from. But that said if you are mildly insane and want virtually every combination of series and parallel switching under the sun, TDPRI has got you covered. Here's a diagram from another thread featuring a 5-way superswitch and two S-1 switches (you only need one as the other is to split a mini-humbucker). Brace yourself...

[​IMG]

Original thread: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/nashvile-tele-custom-wiring.415938/

3. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

So, after looking into the Superswitch a bit more...I've realized that it's a LOT of switch to be cramming in there!

tessting1two...have you put on of these in a tele before? If so, how did it go?

4. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I've been poking around for this as well, sort of. The ASAT Classic "S" has a Nashville set-up with a pull-pot that add N+B in parallel (like a Tele) and all three at the same time. I'd love to add N+B in series, but it's beyond me and I'm not sure if if would even fit in the cavity.

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Two push pulls.

Sorry not sure who to credit ? I'm thinking it is from Deaf Eddie, looks like ones I have saved that he made.

Attached Files:

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I worked on a Strat recently that has normal 5-way, pull the tone switch up (push/pull) and it puts the middle and bridge in series, pull up the volume and it puts the neck and middle half out of phase.

Here's the series arrangement, you should be able to flip it around to use different pickups as the series add if you want middle and bridge or neck and middle in series instead:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  7. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

8. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

I checked out the "Oak Grigsby" superswitch. This "multi-switch" thing is new to me, so bare with me here...lol. The installation sheet at Stewmac shows the Oak with a normal volume pot...so, the arrangement of this switch eliminates the needs for an additional S-1 pot...correct?

9. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

@ jvin248....I like this wiring. It looks like it wouldn't be difficult (and less prone to error) switching between configurations quickly! If this was wired in a tele (one tone control)....would the second stage of the P/P still be wired exactly as in the diagram? This looks like a pretty fast/quick install on a tele:)

10. sjtalon

Ya just don't visualize how the pots are there, just the switch on the p/p. Even with a p/p, pots are pots.

Naturally the Nashville has master tone.

11. sjtalon

New p/p tone control terminals would be wired just as your old one was.

Here's a simple look at just a switch. Really all you are doing is replacing your tone pot with a p/p tone pot. Other than the two pup wires there, nothing changes as far as what you have on the control plate now. So the black on the switch,would be your black wire from the bridge pup, lifted (removed) from the ground point on the volume pot, and now on the switch. The red wire would go to your switch terminal with the white neck (HOT-positive) lead:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  12. sjtalon

There usually is a tab on the p/p pot to solder the ground wire to:

Attached Files:

13. sjtalon

14. WarBeer

WarBeer TDPRI Member

Awesome! Thank you for the great info!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.