Nashville Tele Wiring, N+B in Series?

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
So I’m working on a Nashville Tele Partscaster at the moment and was wondering if y’all had any wiring diagrams for a 5 way Superswitch that allowed me to have N+B in series in Position 3, OR a 4 way switch with a push pull to add the middle pickup.

I’d prefer not to use a toggle switch, but I’m okay with a super switch or a push pull/push push

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
We have diagrams, yes.

There's a lot of Nashville wiring information here, here, here, and here.

Perhaps tell us all the different combinations and singles that you'd like to see.

In particular, do you want middle alone? Or just in combination with other pickups? That roughly divides the solutions in half.

Last edited:

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
We have diagrams, yes.

There's a lot of Nashville wiring information here, here, here, and here .

Perhaps tell us all the different combinations and singles that you'd like to see.

In particular, do you want middle alone? Or just in combination with other pickups? That roughly divides the solutions in half.
I honestly don’t have a preference on the middle pickup being included in the mix or not but I’d prefer to have the series option as well as the 2/4 positions.

I think ideally I’d want:
Neck
N+M
N+B In Series
M+B
Bridge

I’m trying not to unnecessarily complicate my options with S-1’s and a million toggles

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
This is the standard 4-way series scheme, in the order that Fender usually does (series above neck position on the switch). That way you can slam to bridge, or series, without thinking too much.

Middle ON affects every position, and it's in parallel with whatever else. Middle uses the same vol and tone as the other portion of the signal.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 01.38.08 PM.png

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
This is the standard 4-way series scheme, in the order that Fender usually does (series above neck position on the switch). That way you can slam to bridge, or series, without thinking too much.

Middle ON affects every position, and it's in parallel with whatever else. Middle uses the same vol and tone as the other portion of the signal.

View attachment 970596
Awesome! This is awesome! I’ve seen a few diagrams that have Series in Position 3 and Neck alone in position 4? Maybe I could mix the two diagrams to get what I want. Or maybe Series being in Position 4 isn’t so bad? I guess I’d just have to see

Resident Bum

TDPRI Member
Moosie's schematic looks quite good, but I have one thing to add IMO it is much better to put the push pot on the tone control instead of the volume, since it can be quite annoying to turn the volume control when it is in the high, pushed out position compared to when it is sitting low like a normal knob.

I would also recommend you get a "push-push" pot, those are much more intuitive and easy to use compared to a "push-pull"

/RB

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Moosie's schematic looks quite good, but I have one thing to add IMO it is much better to put the push pot on the tone control instead of the volume, since it can be quite annoying to turn the volume control when it is in the high, pushed out position compared to when it is sitting low like a normal knob.

I would also recommend you get a "push-push" pot, those are much more intuitive and easy to use compared to a "push-pull"

/RB
Yeah you can do whatever you like with the DPDT. It can be push-pull, push-push, mounted on either pot, or it can be a mini-toggle. It's all the same electrically. In fact, all this particular circuit needs is an SPST.

StolenBlackMesa

TDPRI Member
Thanks moosie and Resident Bum for the help! I'm loving that schematic. I will most likely end up doing what RB said and swap the Push/Pull and put it on the tone pot, and I'd also prefer to put the Neck in position 4 and N+B in series on position 3 but I'm sure I have the ability to figure that out on my own.

Resident Bum

TDPRI Member
Hmm ive never seen that anti-noise jumper before. I take it is to stop noise picked up in the neck coil from traveling trough the coil capacitance into the signal when using the bridge position?

Resident Bum

TDPRI Member
Thanks moosie and Resident Bum for the help! I'm loving that schematic. I will most likely end up doing what RB said and swap the Push/Pull and put it on the tone pot, and I'd also prefer to put the Neck in position 4 and N+B in series on position 3 but I'm sure I have the ability to figure that out on my own.
Yeah I also prefer the neck to be in pos 4, the other schematic with the neck in pos 3 drove me crazy.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That's what the second diagram shows. Or am I missing something?

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hmm ive never seen that anti-noise jumper before. I take it is to stop noise picked up in the neck coil from traveling trough the coil capacitance into the signal when using the bridge position?
Yeah, with neck common lifted, it's an antenna for noise. But it's only lifted in bridge position. All other times it's either grounded or series-connected. I do not know why Fender doesn't use it. So easy to do.