Nashville Tele - will this switching work?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Grateful Ape, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Want to add the strat n/m and b/m sounds to the mix. I am no wiring jockey so need to run this past you guys. I can think of two possibilities. Will these work?

1) 5-way, b, b/m, n&b, n/m, n

2) 3-way plus push/push: regular Tele then push/push adds middle or selects it on its own e.g. b, b/n, n or b/m, m, n/m

I've got Dimarzio Areas in n & b and have a Zexcoil for the middle..

Much obliged

2. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

Look thru Schiller's Megaswitch pickup combo options for their 5-way switches. Find the one you want and google it to buy it online. I am partial the M model but they have been out of supply in the states for a bit now. The 5-way S and E are great options as well.

Unfortunately the 5-way super switch is enormous and doesn't easily fit in a stock tele cavity.

https://schaller.info/en/sss

Grateful Ape likes this.
  3. 53Strat

53Strat Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

As others here have done I have a 5 way for all strat positions and a push/pull on the tone control to give me the Tele B + N.

Your 5 way option should work fine but you lose the Middle on its own as I'm sure you are aware.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I've got the 4-way with the middle on p-p. Simple with the options I want most - I don't care for all 3 on or middle by itself.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Two ways I did it.

1st on my Strat, it's basically Telecaster wiring, master volume, master tone, 3 way switch, and then the second "tone" knob is actually a volume knob for the middle pickup in any position

The second way on my Telecaster is as follows:

2020SSH.jpg

supersoldier71 and Grateful Ape like this.
  6. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

You can use a simple 5-way switch for b, n+b, n, b+m, m by wiring the neck pickup to the connections for the middle and the middle pickup to the connections for the neck. Switch positions 1, 2, and 3 will be exactly like a normal Telecaster. Position 5 will be middle alone and position 4 will give you a humbucker like tone. You won’t have the neck and middle together but what you get may be enough.

8. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Tele-Meister

What exactly would be the active pickups in position 4 that gives a humbucking tone?

And you're saying to get the setup you've described, I just swap the neck and middle pickup leads in the diagram below?

[​IMG]

9. JL_LI

I play clean and have my FCS Strat wired this way. The neck and middle in position 4 gives me a warm and jazzy tone that I also use to emulate an acoustic tone. Just swap the leads and remember that the pickup selector won’t give you the same combinations in the same order as other Nashvilles. I stress that you won’t have the quack from the bridge/middle wired this way.

10. Grateful Ape

What do you have in the neck?

11. Grateful Ape

I'd definitely want n/m. But thanks!

12. jfgesquire

It’s a Duncan Design (Korean license built) mini humbucker, similar to the SM1-N

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Grateful Ape likes this.
  13. jfgesquire

I bought the blank switch plate for $11 on eBay and drilled it out for the mini switches.

The bridge and middle pickups are stacks and the thing is very well shielded so it is dead quiet. If the bridge and middle pickups were true single coils, I probably would have installed an on-on-on toggle for the neck pickup to be able to give me hum-single-off instead of just on-off.

With the 3 toggles I have every possible pickup combination as well as all off - which in the studio has been awesome. My old Gretsch 6122 has a standby switch and I didn't realize how much I used it after I put the Gretsch away.

14. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

15. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Bridge and middle isn't doable with neck and middle crossed

Nashville_N&B_Crossed.jpg

Position 1 Bridge - Common C switched to lug 1
    Position 2 Bridge & Neck - Common C switched to lugs 1 + 2
    Position 3 Neck - Common C switched to lug 2
    Position 4 Neck & Middle - Common C switched to lugs 2 & 3
    Position 5 Middle - Common C switched to lug 3

JL_LI likes this.
  16. timbgtr

timbgtr Tele-Meister

I’ve got a Strat that right now has a master volume and tone and a switch in the position of one of the tone controls that allows all seven combinations. I decided I want the versatility of having tone controls for the neck (a little jazz, maybe) and bridge (to take the edge off). I realized that I could do that with standard Strat wiring but switching how the bridge PU and middle PU connect to the switch. This will give, n, n+b, b, m+b, m. I’ll lose n+m, which the OP does not want to lose, but of the two “quack” positions, m+b seems the “quackiest”. If I miss it, I can put in a push-pull pot, as many have suggested.

17. JL_LI

I probably should steer clear of nighttime posts from my iPhone while watching TV. @Tuxedo Poly is of course correct. Exchanging neck and middle connections eliminates the bridge/middle combination while retaining the neck/middle. I apologize for the misinformation and appreciate the correction.

18. Night Prowler

Is there any way to keep these pickup combinations but change switch locations to:

Position 1 - Bridge
    Position 2 - Bridge & Neck
    Position 3 - Middle
    Position 4 - Neck & Middle
    Position 5 - Neck

So that "Middle" pickup selection is actually in the middle position and "Neck" pickup selection is in the neck position. Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  19. Night Prowler

OK, after doing a little more research I found an older thread that has it wired like below and all you do is swap around the bridge and middle pickups from the traditional Nash wiring I posted above. Just wire the bridge pup to lug 2 and the middle pup to lug 1 and you get:

Position 1 Middle
    Position 2 Middle/Bridge
    Position 3 Bridge
    Position 4 Bridge/Neck
    Position 5 Neck

Starting from the "top" (switch handle closest to the neck), the first three positions are the same as they would be on a standard Telecaster (so the "3" is now the bridge pickup). And then the remaining two switch positions (closest to the bridge) are "Strat" sounds (Middle/Bridge and Middle Strat).

Think I'll give this a try!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.