Nashville Tele series wiring , please help

viking

Friend of Leo's
3 singlecoils , 1 volume , one Tone , will the newish OAK 6 way , or a Super 5- way make this possible without any other switching , and give me the usual settings , plus n+m series , and b+m series.
Middle alone or neck +bridge the least interesting.Im really keen on trying the bridge and middle in series.
Please help me , my head is spinning after having done countless searches

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Check out my earlier post on the subject.

Of the three diagrams presented in that single post, my Nashville is wired like the first. I particularly want middle pickup alone, and all FOUR parallel positions. I like that it also has the three series options, though I never use 'em.

The third diagram may be most appealing to you.

Let me know. If one of these is close, but not close enough, I may be able to tweak it. But maybe not, as some of these are pretty tightly designed.

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
Just to add (a heads up)

Whatever pickup you wire for the series, that is the one which has BOTH coil leads going to the switch, will have to be a three-wire.

For example, a neck pup with a cover will have to have a dedicated wire, lifted from the negative coil wire, to connect to a ground point.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
3 singlecoils , 1 volume , one Tone , will the newish OAK 6 way , or a Super 5- way make this possible without any other switching , and give me the usual settings , plus n+m series , and b+m series.
Middle alone or neck +bridge the least interesting.Im really keen on trying the bridge and middle in series.
Please help me , my head is spinning after having done countless searches
I kept looking, digging through my archives, and stopped when I realized I wasn't sure what you want.

You say you want the 'usual settings', plus two series positions. To me, that means three singles, and three parallel, plus the series. Then you said you didn't need one of the singles, and one of the parallels. That leaves six, and you want no other switches.

Is this a fair assessment? If so, and you're relying on the OG 6-way, I doubt it's possible. It's still only a two pole switch.

You can do a lot with a super switch, but then you only get 5 positions, unless you want to add some other switching.

viking

Friend of Leo's
Thanks guys , I really appreciate you trying to help.
Im easy to confuse in these matters .When it comes to wiring I much prefer to paint by numbers , than to figure it all out myself, LOL.

I know about typical Strat wiring with using a blender pot for the series positions. And off course I have installed loads of 4 ways in usual Teles .

Im not too keen on using pots with switches , I find the ones I have tried .....weird to use .......maybe I could get used to it , but then I would ALMOST rather have a mini toggle between the pots.

OK , 3 singles , two pots , and whatever switch is needed.
Could do without any neck/bridge , and middle alone .

It could be done with a 5 way , and one extra switch , right ?

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It could be done with a 5 way , and one extra switch , right ?
It's never quite that simple. A 5-way switch, and a 2-way toggle gives 10 total positions. You can't just add a 'position' to a 5-way to get 6. So one question is what to do with the other positions, and how annoying will they be, if you didn't really want them.

Here's one that may interest you. It uses a regular 5-way Strat switch (not super), and a common ON-ON DPDT mini toggle (or push-pull). Plus, it's fairly simple to wire up.

With the toggle one way, it's pure Strat (including middle alone). The other toggle position makes the 5-way cycle between various series settings. On the two ends (pos 1 & 5), you have the two basic series positions you wanted. Then, in position 3, you have Middle alone, with a fixed bass cut. Position 2 is Middle and Bridge in series, and it will sound a bit different from pos #1 due to the capacitor. A little bit darker. And position 4 will sound just a bit different from pos #5, just a bit brighter.

Experiment with the cap value. Ideally, I'd use .01 uf for the positions 2 and 4, but that might be too much of a bass cut in pos #3. Maybe start with a .01, and see if you like the honky sound of 2 & 4, and see if the bass cut is too heavy in pos #3. A smaller cap will cut more bass. A .05 uf cap will sound OK in the two 'honk' positions, though no longer as honky, and you might not even notice the bass cut.

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 03.34.10 PM.png

viking

Friend of Leo's
Thanks a lot !
I will look into it .
I also just spotted some rather discrete double dome knobs for a dual pot.
That would also make it possible to use the blender for series model.

viking

Friend of Leo's
Just an update : Moosie/Joe , I just wired this up. Thanks a million for drawing these up for us all to use , its just great.

No problem , just connecting the dots.

I went with a push-push pot , a.022 "usual tone cap " , on the series setting I used
the small option , works great , the mid pu is rather weak , but Im not planning on using it alone.
I went with a Stealth set up , so the middle pu , SD Hot Stack is rather low and under the guard.

Neck pu is a Keystone , bridge is a Cavalier Fat Lion. You dont get the n+b in this set up , but I am usually not that much on that setting anyway.

The series settings are great , again , probably wont use the middle alone with the cap that removes a bit of bass , but .......both the " humbucker settings "are really great !

Neck and Mid , with the cap , are really what I have been missing with the 4 way switches. The pu´s arent so far apart which obviously makes a difference as well.

This is really interesting , I really think this will be a worthwhile mod.
Mid_pu[1].jpg
Mid_pu_stealth[1].jpg

Last edited:

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Glad to hear it worked out. Why so many pickguards? Did you keep the one with the hole in it, and stack a new one on top? If so, why? To get the magnets just that little bit higher?

And yeah, stealth, no wonder the middle is weak!

If you miss N+B parallel, you could always add a second toggle or push-pull, to do neck-on, or bridge-on. Let me know if you need a diagram.

viking

Friend of Leo's
Yes , to get the hot stack higher.I have so much carp lying around after tinkering with this stuff since forever.
A 2 mm base guard , and a 1.5 mm on top.
Some fine tuning left , I bought 2 used Hot Stacks online , the other one is a bit hotter.
At least one of them will be used in an Esquire Stealth.
If you have the time , please draw it up !

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Here ya go. The additional wiring is simple, just the toggle or push-pull, and two wires.

In Strat mode, engaging the "Bridge/Neck ON" switch adds Neck in parallel in positions 1 & 2. And it adds Bridge in parallel in positions 4 & 5. Note that 1 and 5 are identical in this scenario, as are 2 and 4. Position 3 is unchanged.

In Series mode, it's the same deal with the positions affected, and the duplicates. But what happens is neck-or-bridge is added in parallel with bridge-or-neck. And the pair of them is in series with middle. Positions 2 and 4 also have the cap involved, and I don't know what it will sound like! They're the same as each other, but I can't tell what the cap will do. It normally attenuates some frequencies in the pickup being 'wrapped'. Without the ON override, in position 2 for instance, it's darker than #1 because the cap attenuates some freqs of the bridge pickup, and the middle pickup is naturally darker than bridge, due to it's placement under the strings. So, with a higher ratio of the darker pickup, it sounds ... darker. Same logic in reverse, sort of, for position 4 - without the ON override. It's brighter because neck is attenuated, and middle is naturally brighter than neck.

But with the ON override engaged, in both #2 and #4, bridge and neck are both attenuated by the cap. One's darker than middle, one's brighter than middle. I'm thinking there will be little to no obvious change in treble and bass, but it might sound 'woodier', or something like that. If you try it, I'm very interested to hear about your experience.

Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 01.44.36 AM.png

El Mariach3535

TDPRI Member
Okay so, I do have a question. In having done this mod, I found that the tone pot now acts as a vol. Any ideas? I wired it per the schematic. Except I landed all grounds on the vol pot.