1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nashville Set w/ Consistent Look

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by markesquire, Apr 28, 2020.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I’m thinking about converting a tele to a Nashville setup, but I really dislike the look of (1) 3 different mismatched styles and colors of pickups with black tele bridge, white strat middle, and chrome tele neck; and (2) I could do all matching Bardens or EMGs, but I feel like the appearance of my mint green pickguard looks weird with 3 black pickups (looks ok with just one black neck pickup).

Any suggestions? I’ve thought about having a black bridge, then some aged parchment pickups for both neck and middle, giving a faux esquire look on my mint guard. Alternatively, I could use a tortoise guard (less preferred), and then the all black pickups (Barden, Emg) wouldn’t stick out and contrast so much.

2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

My used 2014 N'ville came with Fralin SP43's installed. You have to be careful if mixing and trying to match different vendor pickups in Strats and N'villes due to winding and polarization differences. Go here https://www.fralinpickups.com/blog/ and scrole down to "The Nashville Tele Problem" . Tele.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Howie22

Howie22 Tele-Meister

I put a black pickguard on mine, with a black strat pickup cover. Looks a lot better to my eyes

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

May not be the look you're wanting, but I guess I'm not as particular. I use Bootstrap Pickups Pretzel Tele p/ups, plus a Bootstrap "Strat"-style in middle with a black cover. Yes, the neck p/up is still chrome. but, well, it IS a Tele after all. ;) mar25 105.JPG

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  5. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

20180711_182441.jpg

I know it's a Strat, but you could try cream on cream.

6. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Wilde Keystone neck looks like a strat pickup (and sounds quite a bit like one), so you could use that one to stay consistent. And just use any black strat pickup in the middle.

7. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

Replace the neck PU with a Strat, now you have 2 of the same kind on the pick guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  8. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

I put on chrome covers. 1 for the pickup, 1 for the fugly bridge.

[​IMG]

9. Jef

Jef Tele-Holic

I'm thinking of putting 2 lipstick pickups in my nashville tele.
    Lipstick as in danelectro style/strat sized, not the chrome covered tele pickups.

10. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Been there and done that several times. Personally, I believe Fender uses the "all-over" pickup look, because, back in the day, when studio guys would route a cavity for a middle position Strat pickup, was for necessity and nothing else. So, you had a black bridge pickup, chrome/nickel-silver neck pickup, and either a white or black Strat pickup; based on what they had and happend to use.

Now, what you're after, I have done many times. It's all personal taste and style more than function. I took my Deluxe Nashville, my avatar, and bought a new parchment pickguard routed for two Strat pickups. I had found a set of aged white Vintage Noiseless pickup covers, and bought a new Vintage Noiseless Strat pickup. At the time, I really liked those pickups. Still do, but my Nashville is not a Nashville anymore.

Anyway, I went for the look you're describing but ended up going back to the original look. For me, it wasn't about looks. I really liked the tone of the Tele neck pickup over the Strat pickup; but that's with the Vintage Noiseless pickups. One set that looks interesting and has the form factor you're after, but they're all black, is the Lace James Burton set. 920D Custom Shop does that one and it sounds pretty good. Here's a pic of my Deluxe Nashville with parchment guard, Strat pickups w/aged white covers. This is when I removed the bridge pickup and replaced it with a Duncan Little 59. Also, I replaced the stainless bridge with a ferrous ashtray bridge with compensated saddles.

[​IMG]

Coloradotwanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.