Nashville or regular Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vas182, Aug 26, 2017.

1. vas182

vas182 TDPRI Member

I'm going to buy a new guitar but I'm not sure if I should get the deluxe Nashville Tele or a standard configuration Tele. I've played high and like both. What do you all prefer?

Telegraphonic likes this.
  2. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I like teles to be simple. 3 pickups looks weird, don't like 5 way switching. Esquire is best tele ever!

YMMV

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My avatar guitar started life as a Nashville type Tele.
    I gradually, over the 33 years I have had it, ended up "losing" the middle pickup.
    I grew to not like Strat like sounds.
    Your results may vary.
    I played in show bands when I first got it, and it was very versatile.
    If you are a working (cover) player, you might like the Nashville set up.
    Conversely, I'm not hearing those sounds much on newer stuff, anymore.

Piggy Stu, thegeezer and mnutz like this.
  4. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Plain old Tele. I've played 'em for over 40 years.

Piggy Stu, thegeezer and mnutz like this.
  5. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

After playing a two pickup guitar for the past 50 years, when my Jazzmaster went in for service, I bought a Strat. I kept hitting the middle pickup with my pick, just couldn't correct it. I returned the Strat, and bought a Classic Series 60's Tele. I'm glad I did. Simple and versatile, from Jazz to Rock, it does it all.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    DonM likes this.
  6. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

It's not a tele if it has a 3rd pickup. It's also not a tele if it has a humbucker. Go for standard.

mnutz and xafinity like this.
  7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

One of each of the types best for what you cover and/or compose.

What each of us thinks is best for ourselves seems superfluous in the context of your question I suppose.

8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a standard Tele type of guy. Short, sweet and to the point is my favorite Tele sound

mnutz likes this.
  9. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I only own standard teles (i.e. S/S) but I've really enjoyed playing the Nashvilles I've tried..

10. fender_freak

fender_freak Tele-Meister

I have a few of each in my stable and, if I had to pick one I'd go regular, but the Nashville setup is awesome too. The Nashville thing can do a Tele very well and can also give some Strat tones.

I'd just go with what plays better. Or get the Nashville, you can always convert it easily.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  11. MRey

MRey Tele-Meister

The Nashville has features the standard doesn't (locking tuners, 12" radius, shaved heel), if you like those features it's easy enough to make it a standard 2 pickup Telecaster.

shupe13 likes this.
  12. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I too have decided that I only need two pickups. Nothing against the Nashvilles, but for me it's a standard all the way.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  13. bluen0te

bluen0te NEW MEMBER!

[​IMG]

I have the Glaser/Mason set up; three position switch, volume, tone for the neck/bridge like any other Tele; the magic is in the
    blend knob that controls the center Strat HB stack pu that, with the other settings, gives 'bucker/Strat/whatever sounds. Clang clang clang... who wouldn't love a regular Tele too...​

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Crobbins and nicod98 like this.
  14. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I have a few three pickup telecasters, and a normal 5-way switch setup doesn't do it for me. I love the balance of a tele neck and bridge pickup together. Then again sometimes that middle pickup just asks to be heard.

I was thinking about regular 3-way switching and a toggle switch to activate the middle pickup in phase or out of phase (no volume). That way I have loads of options.
    But the option above seems attractive too.

15. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's no right answer, just YOUR right answer. I love teles, but turns out I'm more of a strat guy. So if it was gonna be my one and only electric, and if I liked the neck (which I don't on the current version of the Nashville - 12" is just flatter than I like), I'd definitely get the Nashville. As it is, I have a strat I love, so if I was to add a tele, it would be a simple two pickup, three way switch version. As much as I like the Baja neck, I'd probably go for one of those and rewire it to get rid of the S1 and 4-way switch. Actually, if you like having all of the classic tele sounds plus a fuller humbucker type sound plus an approximation of a strat sound, a Baja tele will get you there, so maybe add that to your list.

To me, the feel of a guitar's neck is the #1 most important thing. My favorite is the softer V-er feel of the Clapton / CP50 strat, with the really beefy Baja tele neck a close second. But that's a highly personal preference. You have to play some to know what you like, or you may be one of those folks who's equally happy playing almost any neck.

Like I said, no one right answer...

nicod98 likes this.
  16. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

IMG_1677.JPG
    This.

jvin248 and Crobbins like this.
  17. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

If there're an electric guitar that has withstood the test of time better than the plain ol' Tele, I don't know what it is.

thegeezer likes this.
  18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

My MIA Standard with two pickups and three-way switching does everything I could ever want. No need to complicate things with a middle pickup. It's a Tele, not a Strat.

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I will say this for The Nash/3 PU cfg. I have never kept the stock 5 way switch configuration for long. Like 2 minutes. ;)

Give up Tele N+Br combo... Not me, not ever.

I have switched it up so the Mid and Br PU are in place of each other on the switch most times. I also have a push pull tone on one that puts the middle PU in in any of the standard 3 positions.

Now something else to consider, 2 PU with 4 way switch. The N+Br in series is bold and beautiful IMO. So should one desire a little bit more than the 3 way tones, this is worth a try. IMO of course...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  20. Telegraphonic

Telegraphonic TDPRI Member

I, too, have played high and find my good old 2 pickup Tele all I need. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.