Nashville number system question

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by rxtech, Jul 7, 2019.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Using an “apology” as a vehicle to criticize and assert your superiority. Nice.

codamedia likes this.
  2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

That's fair. I deleted that comment. Thanks for keeping me honest.

MilwMark likes this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Thank you for quoting that so I could see what was stating. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences... but the ignorance (in it's true meaning) just baffles me.

4. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

This is actually my point. I probably get more upset about things like this than I should. I do gigs pretty frequently with horn and string players, and you hear all the old jokes about how guitar players can't read, guitar players don't know their instrument, guitar players don't understand harmony. And while it's good for a cheap laugh, its also largely true when you look at the guitar playing community at large.

I find myself frustrated that the guitar playing community at large has a tendency to search for the lowest common denominator rather than just working to improve. I feel like I probably took more of that out on you than was my intention, Mark pointed it out, and I deleted my comment.

No secret that I despise number charts, tablature, printouts of the guitar neck with dots where you are supposed to put your fingers, etc. but at the end of the day if it helps someone improve, then it's all for the best.

Cheers.

Harry Styron and codamedia like this.
  5. codamedia

Fair enough... even if I don't agree with the Number System being placed in the same sentence with "printouts of the guitar neck with dots where you are supposed to put your fingers" :D.

Don't get me wrong... I'm an advocate for reading music, I know my way around quite fluently, and without doubt - full music notation cannot be beat. It was the suggestion that the "number system was created for those that can't read music" that really rubbed me the wrong way. The number system is not a replacement for reading music, it's a substitute for a chord chart or lead sheet.... something commonly used by Studio Musicians everywhere.

twangjeff likes this.
  6. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Well this thread certainly took an interesting turn.

I really respect and admire those, who can read music, and those that don't need to because they can just 'hear it'.

For players without this ability (like me), a chord chart is quite useful. While I don't use the Nashville system I do try to think about the function of the chord rather than just its chord name. Using a numbering system makes senses for this purpose.

So perhaps the tools tab, charts, sheet music are aligned with the situation and the players level of skill.

Of course none are a real substitute for actually listening to the recorded music.

I've got a lot out of this thread. So thank you all.

7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I always thought it was a lower case m appended to the chord , like Am. Seems that is the least ambiguous rather than dashes and slashes.

8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Word.

9. codamedia

Most certainly... a beginner will gravitate to TAB and EZ Chord Charts.... but that's about the end of the association with skill level.

Situation is the bigger factor. Jazz players (of all levels) frequently use chord charts and lead sheets (chord charts with the melody notated) & studio musicians rely heavily on chord charts or it's variant, the number chart.

Most here at TDPRI would hold Brent Mason in very high regards.... here's a photo of him glancing over his number chart before grabbing the guitar.... note the pencil in hand :). In this case it's the situation that dictates the choice of the number system.... I've seen similar photos of him with full notation (still in pencil) sitting on the music stand.

brent-mason.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

More than that, it simultaneously works in any key because it's numbers. No matter how fancy your correct music notation is, if you have to transpose, that's one more thing to think about. The number systems are "keyless", the numbers don't rely on any specific key, so those charts are eliminating transposition ... which can be an issue when working with singers and folk musicians (That includes Country musicians and Blues musicians).

codamedia and Northern Tele like this.
  11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

When I was in Nashville (20 years ago...not sure what they do now) we used a lower case "m" to indicate minor chords. For example, Wagon Wheel would be...

1 5 6m 4
    1 5 4 4

or...

G D Em C
    G D C C

12. codamedia

If you were pointing that out to me... yes, I am well aware of that and pointed out that same convenience earlier in this thread.

If you are just expanding on my quote so others can understand better, I wholeheartedly agree :D

13. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

IMO, that's the only reason the system developed ... all the Nashville studio musicians are completely familiar with chord charts and lead sheets; the number system isn't in any way analogous to tabs ... I believe it's strictly a shorthand based on transposition. I know I've done many sessions where the singer and the arranger hadn't compared notes (pun) adequately and we had to do a last minute key change to accommodate the singer's range and or hangover/cold/ etc.

codamedia likes this.
  14. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

IME no matter what kind of chart you write out, someone will disagree about your method of notation

+1 to using an 'm' after the number to indicate minor

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.