"Nashville" mim question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RMLamey, Jul 31, 2021.

1. RMLamey

RMLamey TDPRI Member

Picking up a 2000 year mim "Nashville" a friend owns and can no longer play. My question is are the factory pups "good" , and yes I know that's an individual ear question just wondering what the consensus is on these in general. Thanks!!
    IMG_8783.jpg

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

I have a Nashville power Tele from the mid 2000s. Mine has Tex Mex pickups. I like them a lot, have never felt the need to change them.

I’ve got other Teles that twang more, but this is by far the most versatile of them all.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. RMLamey

RMLamey TDPRI Member

Do you know what the stock factory pups are in the Nashville?

Dr Improbable likes this.
  4. RMLamey

RMLamey TDPRI Member

So in using the fantastic search function on this site I've discovered the 2000 Nashville has "Tex Mex" spec pups. Those should suite my ears well enough. If all lines up I should be getting it tommorow or early week.

5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

I have that exact guitar and it's my #1.
    All original except for a mini toggle to get the neck/bridge setting.

The original pickups are, I believe, the "Tex Mex" units.

They work for me!

RMLamey and Dr Improbable like this.
  6. Ivan

Ivan Tele-Holic

I bought one in 1999. Mine was the same sunburst finish but with a maple board. Still have it but heavily modded (it's now sonic blue).

As I remember the Tex mex were hot vintage style pickups. Perfectly fine.
    However I swapped them out as I was looking for that ballsier and throatier nocaster/broadcaster sound.

RMLamey likes this.
  7. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

the bridge and neck are tex mex teles. The middle is a tex mex strat.

it’s a great guitar congratulations.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    RMLamey likes this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

My Nashville Tele is a '97 with the Tex-Mex pickups. I found them very generic sounding and have tried different pickups. Right now I have a set of Fender '50's Tele pickups with a Seymour Duncan SSL-2 in the middle position.

RMLamey likes this.
  9. AtlanticCity83

AtlanticCity83 TDPRI Member

Yes, Tex Mex pickups!
    These are great, played that guitar a few times. A little hotter but great for Rock or Country.

Always depends on your own preferences. It doesn't matter if it's a cheap China-made pickup or one from a US custom shop. Just trust your own(!) ears.

nickmsmith, RMLamey and dlew919 like this.
  10. RMLamey

RMLamey TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone, picked it up last night. Other then a few dings here and there it's about perfect. Sounds great so far, haven't been able to try at any real volume yet. Will know more later today when I'm at the shop and can it on up.

Tried to post pics but "files to large"

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn't buy a factory "Nashville", but modded my own. (see avatar) I experimented with many different combinations, and because they sounded so good, (and I was exhausted) I settled on a set of Bootstraps Pickups, their Palo Duro Tele set, plus one of their Strat models in the middle. I loved being able to get that Strat "quack" sound, but found the middle p/up was in the way of my picking. That guitar is now back to a "normal" two p/up format, and, while I miss the middle on occasion, I can live with it.
    BTW.....when I had the middle p/up, it was on a mini-toggle switch, so I had normal Neck, neck& bridge, and bridge selections with the three-way switch, and the toggle would "kick in " the middle when I wanted. ;)

12. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Tele-Meister

Edited

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The stock ones are Tex Mex in many, but I cannot say if they always were or not, 2000 is getting back there. I like the Tex Mex.

14. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations on your new guitar, looks fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing, play it for a solid month before you decide the tone is not your thing. I never understood the need to yank perfectly good pickups without giving them a spin first.

15. demon

demon Tele-Holic

My Nashville Tele is exactly that model, except mine is 2001 and has a lot more dings in the paintwork. Came from the factory with the Tex-Mex pickup set. The neck pickup is really good, and the middle pickup is the star of the show for me; really clear. I swapped out the bridge pickup for an SD Little '59, but ended up fitting the stock pickup again. It's still my least favorite pickup of the set, but it is good.

If you don't like the stock pickups don't forget this model has the swimming pool route, so you can make anything fit the middle/neck position.

16. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Mine is from 2002-2003 and stock pickups. I had almost talked myself into changing them, but I looked up the factory specs and lowered them to recommend height. That took care of it! Great guitar and mine is the same as that on in the picture. I've turned down several offers for it through the years.

nickmsmith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.