Nashville Deluxe - why is my neck pickup white lead connected to ground?

bluecrab4x4

TDPRI Member
I am rewiring my Nashville Deluxe tele and swapping out the 5-way switch with a 4-way.

I know that I need to run a separate ground wire from the neck PU cover to ground, but I noticed that the way it is currently wired, the white lead from the neck PU is going to ground and the black lead is going to the 5-way switch.

Is this the way that they usually wire things at the factory or did maybe somebody switch up the wiring at some point for whatever reason? Does this have something to do with the phasing with the middle pickup maybe?

Main question -when I install the new 4-way switch should I wire the black and white wires as per the 4-way diagram from Lindy Fralin that I have used in the past?

Attachments

• Fralin-4-Way-Switching-Telecaster-Wiring-Diagram.jpg
    Fralin-4-Way-Switching-Telecaster-Wiring-Diagram.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 28

thegaijin

Tele-Holic
I have my bridge wires switched around because the neck pickup and bridge pickup both have the same wind directions. For hum canceling in the middle position in a 2-pickup tele, one PU needs to be wound CW and the other CCW. Flipping the wires one one of them achieves this. Lindy Fralin’s website has a blog post all about phasing and hum canceling for a three-pickup tele.

Maybe this is the case with yours.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
If someone had previously swapped the bridge pickup, the two could have been out of phase and the neck leads swapped to put it back in phase. That’s possible if they sound in phase now. Is the neck pickup’s cover grounded to the + (because the cover is connected commonly with the the other lead), and it hums when you touch it (the cover)? If if works fine (in phase, and no cover hum) as is, beware that a simple switch could get you into an out of phase and cover hum situation.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I am rewiring my Nashville Deluxe tele and swapping out the 5-way switch with a 4-way.

I know that I need to run a separate ground wire from the neck PU cover to ground, but I noticed that the way it is currently wired, the white lead from the neck PU is going to ground and the black lead is going to the 5-way switch.

Is this the way that they usually wire things at the factory or did maybe somebody switch up the wiring at some point for whatever reason? Does this have something to do with the phasing with the middle pickup maybe?

Main question -when I install the new 4-way switch should I wire the black and white wires as per the 4-way diagram from Lindy Fralin that I have used in the past?
Are you pulling the Fender pickups in your Nashville and installing Fralin pickups ? Are you changing to just two pickups, neck and bridge ? Which pickup combinations are you expecting to get with the 4-way ?

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
The factory wiring for a pre-2016 Deluxe Nashville with Tex Mex Tele pickups is
neck white - hot, black - ground
middle yellow - hot, red - ground
bridge white - hot, black - ground

bluecrab4x4

TDPRI Member
thanks for all the info guys.

I am thinking maybe the bridge PU was swapped out at some point and the leads are reversed color-wise.

Here's the really weird thing- I wired the 4-way up as per the factory wiring in Tuxedo Poly's post - and the bridge PU did not work at all. Seems like it should have still worked- maybe it would just be out of phase.

I might have grounded out the white lead somehow when I wired it to the 4-way switch, but if I did I couldn't see it.

Anyhoo- I swapped the wires back and used the black lead from the bridge PU as the hot lead going to the 4-way and everything works!!

Go figure!!

@PCollen - for now I am keeping the Fender PUs - the 4-way switch is wired as per the Fralin diagram - B, B-N parallel, B-N series, N. Hope to upgrade to some Fralin Blues Specials in the future.

I am wiring in the middle PU using a mini-toggle (On-On-On).

Diagrams attached- apologies for my primitive photoshop skills.
Fralin-4-way-tele-wiring-mini-toggle-v2.png
Mini-toggle-on-on-on-vertical-v2.png

Last edited:

Burn Yesterday

Tele-Meister
Oy, the GFS tele neck pickup that I put in an Epiphone Junior was backwards like that, so I had to run it with the pickup cover hot for it to be in phase. I'm told that I can flip the magnet in the humbucker so it'll be flipped phase and then I can have the Tele cover grounded like God intended.

bluecrab4x4

TDPRI Member
Ya, I guess Nashville Teles are a special breed in terms of phasing using regular tele pickups.
Tyler Delsack from Lindy Fralin has a great explanation in the article on called The Nashville Tele Problem at the Lindy Fralin site.
Sorry I can't figure out how to post a link without it being flagged as spam.
Just Google 'lindy fralin nashville telecaster problem' and you will find the link.

bluecrab4x4

TDPRI Member
Thanks @djh22
Is there a special trick to inserting the link? When I click on the link icon and enter the URL, I get an error message refusing to allow the post saying that it looks likes spam