1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nashville Deluxe Tele wiring question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TeleToneTony, Oct 23, 2014.

1. TeleToneTony

TeleToneTony TDPRI Member

I like my Nashville tele which is wired like a strat but miss the neck & bridge pickup tone. Is there a simple way I can wire the stock 5 way switch to do that? I know I'll have to give up either the neck/mid or mid bridge but I'm willing.

jscud likes this.
  2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Go with a push/pull tone pot, then you can leave the switch like it is.

BLUE wire goes to the switch terminal with the neck pickup wire, that would be a white wire coming from the hole going to the neck pickup. The terminal would also be next to the one that has a white wire going the the volume pot.

RED wire goes to the outer volume pot terminal. Not the one with the tone cap on it.

pull the knob up and the neck will be added to anything the sel. switch has engaged.

7 way !

Very simple.

Attached Files:

jscud likes this.
  3. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

The stock 5-way won't do what you're after unless, as sjtalon said, you want to add a push/pull or a micro switch. If you're not keen on that sort of thing, an alternative would be to ditch the standard 5-way and replace it with an Oak Grigsby "1/2" super switch, the single wafer version which fits a Tele control cavity without modification. It's a versatile switch and will allow you to add bridge+neck, at the expense of one of the other options. I have my Nashville wired with one of these switches, put bridge+neck in the middle position, in place of the middle-only option. Love it. I have a diagram for this, but it isn't handy presently. I'll post it when I can get my hands on it.

http://darrenriley.com/store/fender-5-way-super-switch-grigs-0039003000/

4. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I did that mod to my Deluxe Nashville - put in the single wafer superswitch to allow for 'Strat-O-Tele' wiring (B&N on middle position of switch).
    I had no use for the middle single by itself... I guess I don't play enough SRV stuff =]

5. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

I wired my Nashville Tele like the old American Deluxe Tele. You could do the same thing with a push/pull switch instead of the mini toggle. I like the mini toggle better, others may like the push/pull switch better.

[​IMG]

jscud likes this.
  6. TeleToneTony

duh duh and again duh, this is directed to me. If a nashville tele is wired just like a strat then there is a simple one wire move on the switch to replace neck mid with neck bridge.

jcsk8 likes this.
  7. TeleToneTony

ok I did it and it gives me what I want but my setup is totally different than the video. I lost the bridge mid instead of neck mid but I'm ok with that. I now have the bridge & neck (tele) neck only (tele) bridge only (tele) mid strat only (strat) and neck & mid (strat) so I'm real happy cause now I have a real tele with two other strat tones.

jcsk8 likes this.
  8. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

I know this is an old thread, but I just started another one and am looking at Nashville wiring options for a current build. With the above, do any of the positions present any problems being out of phase with each other? Sorry, not a wiring expert.

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

not if you stay with the stock pups

10. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

So, I'm doing a build, and I bought a used set of 2015 American tele pickups, so I have not middle. Trying to figure out if I can just buy like a Seymour Duncan middle strat pickup (one of the ones labelled rwrp) and have that work like the above, all combos positions with pickups in phase with each other...?

11. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I've not done it but I've seen where people simply solder the mid pup into the bridge location & the bridge to the middle position.

You'll give up the neck/mid sound but IMO gain a better sound.

I have 2 Nashville Telecasters that I've bought because I liked the guitar & not because I wanted Strat sounds from a Tele. On both I've removed the middle pickup as that neck/bridge is my favourite sound & I very much dislike the middle pickup physically being where I want to rest my hand.

Edit. I should have read more posts. You've essentially done this but the other way it can be done.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  12. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Are your 2015 pickups American Vintage, Standard, Special?
    I would suggest going to forum member Rob DiStefano's Cavalier Pickups and he will wind a suitable middle at reasonable cost.
    There's a lot of info about polarity and wind direction (RWRP) on the website.
    http://www.cavalierpickups.com/

As an alternative to the standard 5 way Nashville switching you could use one of the recently available 6 way Electroswitch (Oak Grigsby) switches.

Nashville_6_Way_revB.jpg

Okieactor likes this.
  13. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Emailed him today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.