1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nashville conversion for my american special

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GLee94, Apr 20, 2021.

1. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

ever since i started playing i’ve loved the sound of position 4 on a strat but i could never get along with the ergonomics of the instrument.. slightly cramped for my taste...i finally pulled the trigger on something i’ve wanted to do for a while..i routed out a chunk under the pickguard and threw in some new pickups....the route job itself is amateur at best, but once i got my hands on a pattern bit to clean it up...it’s not bad for a first time doer (in my humble opinion) i loved this guitar before but we’ve been inseparable since the operation:)

let me know how i did! you won’t hurt my feelings telling me my route job sucks haha they call me the klutz for a reason;) much love! 8F4739AC-2E12-4CA8-925C-F7B5E36F8210.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Looks good!

nojazzhere and GLee94 like this.
  3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I think it looks pretty good! I've done way worse in places that won't be seen.

GLee94 likes this.
  4. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Compared to my butchered routing, it looks fantastic.

GLee94 likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Just a couple of suggestions...

Paint the route with shielding paint.
    Wire the 5 way switch for:
    Posn 1 bridge
    2 bridge and neck
    3 neck
    4 neck and middle
    5. Middle

Positions 1, 2, and 3 will be normal Telecaster switch positions giving you the bridge and neck that you’d miss your first day with a Nashville. Position 4 will be humbucker like and position 5 will be the coveted middle pickup position. I have a Strat wired this way and love it.

GLee94 likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

That's pretty good. You should see the routing under the pickguard on my Nashville-esque Telecaster. Swimming pool?.....more like the Erie Canal. But it works, and is covered up.
    BTW.....after several years as a three p/up Telecaster, it's back to two p/ups.....the middle one got in the way of my picking. :(
    And, for @JL_LI .....that's an interesting way to wire. I kept the normal three-way on mine for neck and bridge, and added a mini-toggle (between volume and tone knobs) to kick in the middle.....in any combination. The ONLY thing I couldn't use was the middle by itself.....but in years of playing Strats I NEVER used middle only. ;)

GLee94 likes this.
  7. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

brilliant! i just dropped in a rwrp strat pup so my position 2 is out of phase and barely useable for most...i will definitely give this setup a shot! sounds optimal to me!

JL_LI likes this.
  8. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

would you happen to have a diagram for the switch wiring?? or reference me one?

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My Strat is a FCS 69 with standard wiring. I simply moved the neck pickup to the middle and the middle pickup to the neck. You can’t do that with a Nashville but you can wire the neck to where the middle pickup would normally be wired and wire the middle pickup as if it’s the neck pickup.

nojazzhere and GLee94 like this.
  10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Edited to add that I think your work is outstanding for a klutz and the finished product looks right!

I am concerned about your phase description.

True RWRP should just be hum cancelling, not out of phase.

One or more of your pickups either needs the wires flipped or the magnet polarity flipped.

You want EVERY pickup combination and even "all off" like a studio stand-by?

Try this:

2019.jpg

bobk and GLee94 like this.
  11. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

so i used stock tele pickups which are rwrp from each other...then i added a middle pup from a strat...naturally position 4 is hum canceling, while position 2 is out of phase...to fix i would need a neck pup with the same polarity as the bridge so that both positions are hum cancelling...there’s an article about it on lindy fralins site...i do like the mini hum config though! looks sharp!

12. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

personally it works for me since i’ve always favored neck and middle over middle and bridge and the position 2 makes for some interesting sound effects if nothing else! lol

13. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

Looks great! I’ve really become fond of the 3 pickup Tele ! Lotsa cool sounds to be had

GLee94 likes this.
  14. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Most stock Tele pickup sets are not RWRP. I don't have them memorized, but there were only 2 or 3 sets. I'll have to look at your original post where you ID'd the pickups and check my notes.

Mine is the Squire VM SSH Tele. The bridge and middle are stacks, so the whole thing is quiet, but it was wired out of phase from the factory. I had to flip the bridge pickup magnets to make it in phase with the Humbucker, which also made it in phase with the RWRP Strat middle pickup.

Now it's perfect.

A real strong neodymium magnet was enough to do the job.

20191124_131828.jpg

20191124_131521.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.