NASCAR or one on one drag race?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Sep 14, 2019.

NASCAR or the drag race fave

This poll will close on Sep 13, 2020 at 1:42 PM.
  1. NASCAR

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Drag Race like 1/4 mile

30 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

99B6AD22-9184-4419-A3F5-0D6283B42FC5.jpeg The cage is not legal now but was at one time, the old five point belts are frayed and illegal too. But AFAIK you can get away with an over 12 second pass before they ban you?

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

796EC97B-B9CC-4388-88AD-7F6E1EE6C98F.jpeg For car racing I guess F1 is exciting for the tech, and of course the speed, but again cutting edge engine suspension and brakes rock my world for whatever reason. Any fast car or bike going fast is cool though.

Old tech hides under the old sheet metal.

muchxs likes this.
  3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I wish what's his face who runs F1 did the NYC Grand Prix. It would have actually been the Jersey City Grand Prix because they were going to lay the course out on city streets on the Jersey side.

Circa 1970 my friend Tommy had a comprehensive set of Hot Wheels complete with the official carrying case. He had plenty of track.

Current issue Grand Prix racers make so much downforce they would stick to the ceiling if you could get 'em up there. If they don't a couple extra WoO or Supermodified style wings would do it.

Hey, Hot Wheels fans! Wouldn't it be cool to run 'em through The Holland Tunnel upside- down on the ceiling?

:D :D :D

Run 'em the wrong way up Varick Street, turn 'em around, run 'em across Canal and back into the tunnel.

:cool:

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. muchxs

We don't go to NASCAR Monster Energy races for the same reason we don't attend mega concerts and festivals. There are better uses of our entertainment dollars. For example we like seein' an under the radar act at a 300 seat venue instead of tryin' to get Springsteen tickets.

NASCAR isn't all that different from a big stupid festival. Yes, I said stupid. The ultimate in stupid was The Great South Bay festival on Long Island a couple years ago. The über stupid part? The Powers That Be aka the festival organizers decided to set up three stages, two of them facing each other One stage was the park's indigenous concrete bandstand. They set up a portable marquee, the main stage about a hundred yards away from the concrete clam shell. The main stage was standard issue "tow it to the festival behind a semi, unfold it, comes with light bars and hard points to "fly" the P.A.." The big stage had at least 50kw of QSC bins on the mains, probably a whole lot more on the subs. The clamshell had all of the sound contractor's "B" level sound reinforcement, maybe 30kw on the mains.

What's wrong with this picture?

Hint: Two high powered P.A. systems facing each other. To make matters worse they lined up the sets. Both marquees had bands playing the exact same time. There was no escaping from the cacophony.

Über stupid, right?

I guess the old hippies in the audience were too deaf and too stoned to notice.

Typical NASCAR race is like that. Park a mile away. Trudge the mile to the gate dragging the cooler. Pay too much for something that doesn't live up to the hype.

Worst part is after the race. It's like cattle plodding across a feed lot. After roasting all day in the big ol' Loudon toaster oven we get to trudge a mile back to the parking lot with 100,000...

(clears throat)

Mostly drunks.

So it's a whole lot like a festival.

I've reached the conclusion that if something lives up to the hype you don't need to be drunk to enjoy it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  5. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan TDPRI Member

Moto GP

Rally

6. Redheadlvr

Redheadlvr TDPRI Member

SCCA/IMSA racing.
    Met Paul Newman at an IMSA race many years ago.

DuckDodgers likes this.
  7. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lagna Seca is on TV today! I’ll be ignoring the prototypes and watching the GTLM class.

526C8B9E-02DE-4647-89DF-E79E21C3329E.jpeg

8. muchxs

I'm thinkin' ISMA. That's

International Super Modified Association.

The cars are a juxtaposition of sprint cars and hillbilly Indy cars.

Watch what the wings do on the straights:

Short track combines the assets of drag racing and closed course racing.

Hassle with drag racing is it's over in seconds. We don't often get to see what's happening on the big end of the track.

With short track, we're generally seeing (substantially) sub- 15 second laps, even on a half mile.

Anyone who thinks Bristol is fast hasn't seen a WoO race at Eldora. That's sub- 13 second laps. On a half mile. On damp clay!

Tony (aka "Toady" :D) Tony Stewart has made Eldora into one of the best racing experiences on Planet Dirt if not the best racing experience. That's even if you don't know the Tony Stewart / Jessica Zemken / Stu Friesen back story.

:) :) :)

T Rex wrote a song for Jessica. Oh, waidaminnit. Total anachronism! ;)

:55

9. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I used to follow F1 avidly when a team could be fielded for only a million dollars a season ;-). It’s become too much a battle of cubic dollars. NASCAR looks to me like a bad day commuting. Top Fuel drag racing is exciting. Any sort of road racing is still my favorite to watch.

10. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

"Dirt Knights" on on MavTV. Good ol' FBI (Farm Boys from Iowa).They show up, if they do well they get paid. https://www.dirtknights.tv/

11. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Formula One.

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Neither, USAC midget racing!!!

telemnemonics and muchxs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.