NASCAR or one on one drag race?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Sep 14, 2019.

NASCAR or the drag race fave

This poll will close on Sep 13, 2020 at 1:42 PM.
  1. NASCAR

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Drag Race like 1/4 mile

30 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Real men turn right.

Formula 1 is my preference.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I don't care what kind of racing, as long as the cars look cool.

In neither professional drag racing or NASCAR, do the cars look cool.

Amateur "street legal" drags are far more interesting to me, as is endurance racing, Indy, and Formula 1. Better looking cars.

Professional stock car racing USED to have EXTREMELY cool looking cars...but not in a LONG time.

And it used to be that in order to race an engine professionally, a car company had to actually sell certain numbers of that engine to the public. Heh heh heh heh.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Down at flat rock they have figure 8 RV, school bus , and boats on trailers races.

Mayhem, bedlam, chaos, shredded aluminum , and yellow insulation as far as the eye can see ! :lol:

nojazzhere and telemnemonics like this.
  4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Grand Prix Motorcycle

Wallo Tweed, unixfish and dkmw like this.
  5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

MotoGP is the best racing these days. And I'm saying that reluctantly as a died-in-the-wool car guy.

Obsessed and unixfish like this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

We have a local hill climb which is a fun day out.

But the TT is epic..

7. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

The title at the start says "Nederland" which is the Netherlands, right?

Shuster likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

5D209D83-2C66-4385-A16C-99DABE797A1E.jpeg FF9F98FE-F799-445E-AA70-869546CAE36D.jpeg FA107BE3-40C2-4DB0-AF7B-CF201FDF8B75.jpeg I took the stewardship duty for an old ‘60s gasser in 2012 and gave it up yesterday. A friend hauled it away after loading half a ton of spare parts and moving my other “projects” out of the way.
    Decades ago some shade tree drag racer cut off the front of the frame and replaced it with a straight axle as was the class racing gear of the day.
    Virtually every moving part except hinges and handles has been replaced.
    The rear end is a ‘57 Pontiac from the BOP drag racing targeted parts line, and was cutting edge tech in the early ‘60s.

The design and fabrication work of racers is as cool as the driving, plus of course the original engineering of the core parts.

flathd, geoff_in_nc, duzie and 4 others like this.
  9. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    If I had my druthers, I'd choose something else, any racing where ya gotta speed up, brake, turn both directions...rally cars, sports cars, carts, bikes, hell, lawn tractors ….. being forced to choose, I'll take drag racing ….. watching NASCAR is a "drag" (bad pun, yes)

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Speaking as an aging motorcyclist,

"There are old bikers and there are bold bikers. There are damn few old, bold bikers."

Never mind I own a '70 Triumph Daytona that does a genuine radar gunned 140mph. Sure, your 20+ years newer Japanese literbike will do that in third gear. Mine is a 50 y.o. British crock.

There were a few benchmarks when motorcycle racing was crazy enough, thank you very much! Those were the 500cc two- stroke Grand Prix days of the '80s when the bikes increased in horsepower but still wouldn't turn faster lap times. Not until some clever fellow decided to make them more rideable.

Next nutball benchmark was 200hp / liter. There still more in there! How fast can your angels fly? My angels look like hummingbirds, Can't even see their wings. They're just buzzing.

When I became fast enough to outrun my angels, it was time to slow down. That's why my GSXR is in big chunks, inoperable and my nutball turbocharged Kawasaki is long gone.

MotoGP is for young fellers who haven't come to grips with their mortality yet.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

They run a relatively safe show in MotoGP - heaps of run-off on these modern GP tracks, and the riders know how to slide out of almost anything.

On the street? I've lost two friends on superbikes, kinda makes me squeamish every time I see one going fast.

Check this racing:

12. philpm

philpm Tele-Meister

Drag racing for me. Nothing like 20,000 horsepower roaring down the track in front of you. And if you're far enough down the track, you'll see them move before you hear them.

13. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Rough crowd!

I'm on of them.

Not into either.

Formula 1, thanks.

14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I love the smell of racing fuel.

Wallo Tweed, Obsessed and dkmw like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Are they filming this in a mirror?.....they're going BACKWARDS!!!!!!
    (Yeah, I know.....it's in the UK, where they do LOTS of things backwards :) )

16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Not to be a buzzkill but,

"With age comes a cage."

75 years ago pilots returning from WWII figured out the same style seat and safety harness that made a Spitfire or a Mustang modestly crashworthy would work just fine in the jalopies we were racing back home.

Race car safety has evolved to the point where we have "containment" seats, neck restraints, arm restraints and of course we've been welding the doors shut and using window nets for decades. We're nice 'n' safe in our race seats with our helmets, totally surrounded by a 2" tubing roll cage. Ever see the side intrusion protection built into even a hillbilly race car?

-I- know how to slide out of just about anything. Trick as you probably know is "commit to the crash." Hang on to it as long as you can. After that, throw it away. You don't want the bike beating you on the head while you're tryin' to stick the landing.

Part they don't tell you at The Motorcycle Safety Course near as I can tell...

If you go down, stay down. Corner workers remind us of this at the track. On the street, we're all jacked up on adrenalin after putting it down. Adrenalin makes us Superman. Shock makes us impervious to pain, at least in the moment. First thought is,

"My bike!"

So we go chasing after our damaged scooter. That's precisely what we don't want to do if we just sustained a spinal injury.

:oops:

All of my racing buddies have figured it out. A good helmet costs as much as a good Telecaster. We can plunk down big dough leathers, big dough for the bike, more big dough for safety wire, trick parts and "race" tires for track day, plunk down substantial dough tor a track or club "membership", maybe rent storage space or reserve a pit stall at the track. Then plunk down a hundo per "race" for each club race sprint.

At the end of whatever passes for the front straight at our local track and Loudon has a big ol' front straight, the kernel of a thought starts to form.

"What the hell am I doing here?"

Do I want to do a Stephen Hawking impersonation for the rest of my life?

For what? For a plastic trophy? For bragging rights?

Among my buddies who have figured it out,

Adam lost his right arm.

Lars lost the use of his right arm.

Mitya lost her left leg from the knee down.

Ian got to keep his leg. He likely regrets it every day now that it isn't politically correct to hand out happy pills as if they're candy.

Like I said, sorry to be a buzzkill.

:oops:

17. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Of course there's the Isle of Mann TT, which is just short of wingsuit madness. In the only-slightly-saner department there's Pike's Peak, one of the last places where they're really aren't any rules in the open class. Watch this and be amazed; mild language caution for spectators expressing their awe:

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 As a total gear head in cars and motorcycles, I think MotoGP is the best spectator sport these days. Although F1 is right there with it.

19. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I would not have thought the poll would be so out of balance.

Vedy interesting,,,

20. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I understand and feel your pain. And as a car guy, I much prefer structure around me. And yes I've climbed through a roll cage or two.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.