1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Narrower tires on wheel ? 255’s replace 265’s ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Nov 27, 2020.

1. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

just went from a 225 65/17 to a 215 70/16 for winter wheels / tires on our outback... she rails

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I had snow tires installed that were narrower than standard on my old '95 Acura Integra thinking it would help in the snow. I almost went off the road in the first snow and was lucky the tire place took them back and installed the proper size. Apparently teams of highly trained Japanese engineers know more about this stuff than me. Who knew?

drmordo and Mike Eskimo like this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I went bigger on my Wrangler - 31x10.5x15. Better traction & braking. Also, IF you have to pressure down there’s less chance of breaking a bead

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

If only everyone was honest . People will swap windshields just to have a valid inspection and emissions sticker .

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Wow, been a long time since I lived in PA, having to get mechanical inspection and emissions test... we have no such thing here in TN... and it often shows ;) Our cars would pass, am quite sure (a 2010 Kia and a 2015 Honda) but there some scary old POS on the road here....When I lived in PA, I went from 165s (maybe 165/80?) To 185/70s on an old Toyota Celica, no problem...speedo was close enough for gov’t work... this was early ‘80’s

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

The value of your truck is in it’s originality. If you’re gonna change tires, you might as well just route it for humbuckers and refinish it in poly.

If it were mine, I’d try to level/crown/polish the tires as is before doing a full replacement.

When was the last time it was re-capped?

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As you have read in this thread, there are lots of issues to consider. These comments are correct, so there needs to be a good reason to justify the change. The price difference is not a big deal over the lifetime of the tires if that is an issue.

BTW, those PA rules scare the snot out of me. I'd be moving if that sort of inspection crap was happening. Just sayin'

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Ended up going with original original size and tires : 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S.

Exactly what was on this truck when new.

Noisy, chattery, howl-y, bad gas mileage.

(this truck loves a solid shoulder highway tire - and these ain’t that)

But - $100 a tire and this is now and forever a local-trip-only vehicle .

Plus these definitely fall under the general GEFWIF rule (good enough for who it’s for)

thanks for all the info fellas !

getbent likes this.
  9. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

that s strange... lots of folks do a narrower snow tire they apparently have better grip... it s also popular to do a minus sizing on the wheel as well (if the clearance is there for brake calipers etc).... our new snow tire / wheel set up is insane... i was trying it out in the deserted parking lot at the local ski resort the other day... couldn t get it to let go in the corners...

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunters-ramblings/why-are-narrower-tires-better-for-winter

10. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

I'd check with your insurance. Here in the UK they would use 'the non spec tyres' as an excuse not to pay in the event of a claim

ozcal likes this.
  11. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

good point diy

12. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Boris is not alone here. If you ever watched World Rally Championship programs, you would see that the cars run much narrower/higher aspect tires on snow (at unbelievable speeds) that are used on non-icy roads - pavement, gravel, etc.

A narrower tire won't "ski" on snow or hydroplane on water as easily as a wide profile tire.

The last time I rallied in snow, my driver had Studded Hakkapeliitta tires fitted on his Impreza. We managed to stay on the roads.

ozcal and Mike Eskimo like this.
  13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

A narrower tire places more weight per square inch on the tread . This simple fact helps in displacing water/snow . This and tread pattern/depth are the factors for siping H2O in its liquid and frozen states . A narrow slick fares no better than a wide one when surfaces are wet/frozen .

ozcal and Ricky D. like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.