Narrowed Down My Speaker Choices for My DR

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joecool324, Sep 12, 2019 at 5:38 PM.

1. joecool324

joecool324 TDPRI Member

I finally narrowed down my speaker choices for my 69 Deluxe Reverb to either the WGS G12c or WGS G12C/S. I’m thinking the C/S may be better because it’s a smooth cone and I play primarily teles (with treble bleed) on the bridge pickup into a deluxe reverb so it may keep the tone from getting ice pick. Anyone here have opinions on these speakers or experience with them in a similar setup?

2. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

JBL D120F,,,;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 7:37 PM
    joecool324 likes this.
  3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Sorry, not much help and no experience with either WGS speaker.

But I do recommend the Eminence Alessandro GASC64. You should look into this speaker before you buy.

I put one in my last BFDR and recently put one in my latest BFDR. The best speaker that I’ve found for a Deluxe Reverb.

I even picked up the 10” version as a backup for my BF Vibrolux Reverb.

ED3EA3E1-8AC1-47E5-B376-57E74C7FB639.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    joecool324 likes this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

What type of music/sound? That Emi lil’ Texas Neo covers a lot of ground and its efficient for keeping things clean. That’s what I want in the DRRI that I am saving for. Great speaker.

joecool324 likes this.
  5. joecool324

joecool324 TDPRI Member

Country mostly. Think Marty Stuart/Kenny Vaughan, Dwight Yoakam.

6. joecool324

joecool324 TDPRI Member

I was really thinking of going with that speaker. I just couldn't find any sound samples of it being played clean/just starting to break up with a tele. The sound samples on the Eminence website really didn't do it much justice either. This is the sound I'm going for (specifically Marty's deluxe reverb tone):

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had both the G12C and G12CS. If I had to pick one, id probably go with the C, though it was a little too bright for me. The CS was just too dark/muddy for me, and I was using it in a non-verb BF Deluxe, so pretty close to what you’re using. If they made one to split the difference I’d prolly be all over it. Clipping the bright cap might be a pretty useful mod with the C, but I chose not to go that route. That’s just my experience, my preference, ymmv, etc....

I have also tried the GA64 and liked it ALOT. For my Deluxe, I actually finally settled on the Emi JS1250, but it was real close between the GA64 and the JS. The JS just had a more pleasing tonal range to my ear. Again ymmv....

They’re all good speakers, just gonna boil down to what does it for you.

Isn’t speaker shopping fun??? Best of luck....

Tim S and joecool324 like this.
  8. joecool324

joecool324 TDPRI Member

I don't know if fun would be the word....

Anyway, thanks for the detailed write up, I appreciate it! This is very helpful.

dannyh likes this.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Never liked all-smooth cones.
    Ribbed for pleasure is good and like the old C12

10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I put a WGS G10C/S into an antique floor radio that I rehabbed into an amp--in a cheaty way, as I put an Ibanez TSA15H in it as the guts. So it's just a head up top and the speaker below. The TSA15H is famously clean, but with a good EQ sweep. It can do ice pick or boom.

Gotta say, the G10C/S is beautiful. Smooth, rich, deep, musical, responsive--maybe the best speaker I've ever heard, much less owned. Even my ice-pickiest Tele on wide-open bridge pickup is easily tamed and sweetened by minimal amp-knob turns through that speaker. Everyone's who heard this head + speaker marvels at it, and says the same thing: "That just fills the room, and you can't tell where it's coming from." It almost seems like an illusion, for a 10-inch speaker to be that room-filling, as 10's are notoriously directional.

You can't go wrong with this speaker for your tastes and aims.

(For reference, my other amps are an Excelsior Pro with an Eminence 1518, an AC15C1 with its stock Celestion 12, a Bandmaster Reverb on a 2x12 former toybox cab with Eminence 1218's, and a beater Princeton Chorus solid state relic with its two stock 10-inch "Fender Special Design" speakers.)

11. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My 1972 Deluxe with a GB128 will nail Marty's sound

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.