Narrow nuts, are they really different ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by jaytv, May 28, 2014.

1. jaytv

jaytv TDPRI Member

The 1 5/8" vintage nut width, can you feel the difference when you play a guitar with that nut width?
    I played a vintage vibe last week and I didn't feel anything different, It just felt like anything else I played. Yet after some search I came across some people claiming that it is so narrow they can't play it.

I measured my guitar and it is the normal 42mm(1.65"). I have also played les pauls which they say is even wider(1.68 or something), it felt different but I didn't have any problem playing the thing.

How much is the E-e spacing in the nut for a 1 5/8" tele? is the string spacing also different in the nut? or is it just the nut width that is different?
    And my last question, Looking at historic data seems the nuts have been inflating recently. Are electric guitar nuts inflating because wider nuts are getting more popular? Maybe we can expect to have 2" nuts soon.

2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, they feel very different to me. I can tell a significant different with each 1/16" difference in width. I have a 66 Tele with a 1-1/2" nut. It feels like playing a violin. Chords are no fun down at the headstock end, especially an A chord or a B7th. My Gibsons with a 1-11/16" neck feel normal, but wider than Fenders at the nut end. My acoustic with a 1-3/4" neck feels wide and my old Martin with a 1-7/8" neck feels huge (but in a good way for fingerpicking).

Ironically, Fender necks are narrower than Gibson, but have wider string spacing at the bridge.

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It's really a personal thing. Some people can easily adapt to almost anything, others can't.

I think wider nuts are getting more popular as the fingers of the aging guitar-playing baby boomers become more arthritic. :eek:

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup. 1 3/4" on my ASAT and I'm lovin' it. A 1 5/8" nut is a dealbreaker to me.

5. London John

London John Banned

I'm ,more sensitive to nut width than neck thickness.

6. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Where? I don't have arthritis but want wider at the top and the bottom - 9.5" to 10" fretboard radius would be nice too. I'm not finding much of that. 1.75" in a Gibson scale length would be lovely, thank you.

7. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Same here and w/ my sausage fingers I need 1 & 3/4ths to be comfortable in the cowboy chord positions. String spacing is a big deal to me.

8. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

Narrower string spacing seems to make barre chords easier for me. I guess it depends on your playing style and how big your fingers are.

9. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely! The first thing I consider when checking out a guitar or bass. On a guitar the wider the better. On a bass the thinner the better [I have a P Bass with a Jazz neck]. I'm considering what Bongocaster said about 1.75" on a 24.75" scale neck on a Tele some day. After playing my LP I'm finding the reach on a 25.5" neck to be a bit much - unless I'm using a capo on the second fret then it seems natural.

10. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

this

11. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

Same here. I'd rather the nut be a little narrow than too wide.

12. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Even if I can't say my fingers are like sausages (well, maybe wieners;)), I agree on the string spacing. I hate a narrow nut!

13. London John

London John Banned

No, I meant I don't like a thin nut.....but would prefer a slightly thin nut to a thin neck.

14. jaytv

jaytv TDPRI Member

Well I can understand that wider spacing gives a greater error tolerance no matter your finger are thick or thin. But the difference needs to be enough to matter, like 1.5"-1 5/8" and 1.75 for example.
    But the difference between the standard 1.65 (PRS pattern regular and almost all fenders) and the so called wide 1 11/16 (prs wide) is only 0.7 millimeter across the nut. I mean, thats about 0.15mm between each two strings. That is the thickness of human hair...

15. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I said I hated a narrow nut, I meant a NARROW nut. I only measure my nuts(!) when someone here ask about it. I've never measured the nut on my Squier Affinity Strat (sold), but that one was definitely too narrow for my fingers. The distance between strings at the nut was definitely a lot of hairs too small ...

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Huh? :confused:

17. Bongocaster

Folks are different. Some play 9s and if they aren't a micron from the frets they can't deal with it. Me, I like to feel like I'm playing something and need more room to maneuver side to side. My fingers aren't very bendy so a wider neck with a smaller radius helps me with partial barres.

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I got a JV Mustang neck recently.....the nut is 1 9/16" / 40 mm..... narrow.... wooo that will be noticable ......

I like the US 1 11/16"/43mm size nut .. yet my current player has a MM neck with 1 5/8"/42mm nut....

I figure guitars are like golf shots.. play it where it lies...:)

19. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Yes. BIG difference for me. I have significant scar tissue in my left palm. If I reach around a neck that is too wide or too flat it sends sharp pains through my hand. It's a real bummer. It took three shots but I found the right tele in my Classic Player tele. I can't play standard Squiers :( After 15 years of playing I can touch a guitar neck and know instantly whether it will work for me.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  20. Bongocaster

Here's the thing. My fellow wider string spacing, smaller radius peeps need to become big Guitar Stars so that they come out with signature models for you all built that way.:twisted:

The rest of us will appreciate the sacrifice.:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.