Narcissism

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Jul 10, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka TDPRI Member

the contemplation of the question what is best for everyone including me, followed by question how does this behavior feel?

blaming social media ( insert anything outside of myself) is a comfortable dodge, this way I don't have to take responsibility for my behaviors and consequences of my actions. An ounce of honest introspection may be more valuable than a lifetime of the denile.
    The author, marksman, satirist, iconic cult figure, William S. Burroughs said,
    "Most of the world's problems are caused by people don't mind their own business",
    and the narrator in one of his spoken word pieces says,
    "There isn't anything worse than, People (pause)
    who do, and feel guilty,

possibly followed by the earnest statement ,
    "but then. who am I to be critical".
    all of which leads me to go happily on my introverted way remembering the words of Jean-Paul Sartre,
    All those eyes intent on me. Devouring me. What? Only two of you? I thought there were more; many more. So this is hell. I’d never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the “burning marl.” Old wives’ tales! There’s no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE!

but, Hell I can't play in tune and in time
    1 2...3 4....1...1.....1 2....

BorderRadio and P Thought like this.
  2. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Saying someone displays narcissistic traits based on the evidence provided in their behaviour is probably ok, as long as you can articulate your point convincingly.

Calling someone a narc or saying they have NPD is a diagnosis. Unless you're qualified to make that diagnosis, it's probably a good idea to keep your counsel.

william tele and P Thought like this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Narcissist and narcissism have become totally misused. We have to distinguish between being self centered and Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
    It's hard to generalize and say there are more self centered folks today. If that were true then it would be even harder to determine its causes.
    I think social media has made many more angry and even belligerent.
    Maybe it's just generational in that each generation tries to give their children a better life, including being more protective etc.
    Maybe it's a lack of trust in our society so folks are more concerned about themselves. I can't list all of the reasons for the decline in trust but it's not hard to find many examples.
    A person could list a myriad of possible causes if it were true that folks are becoming more self centered. We just have our subjective impressions.
    I think it goes beyond being self centered. I think there is a decline in empathy among many. We've grown numb to certain things that are terrible which we see almost daily.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    P Thought likes this.
  4. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So soon we forget. In 1979, historian Christopher Lasch’s book The Culture of Narcissism was a best-seller, introducing the term to the masses. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture_of_Narcissism.

Lasch believed that family breakdown, starting 100 years earlier with the effects of industrialization and the rural to urban transformation for the majority of the population in Europe and North America, eventually resulted in narcissism becoming common and considered to be normal. The internet and cell phones had nothing to do with it.

Every age has its scolds.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

It's called a selfie because narcissty (sp?) is too hard to spell.

P Thought likes this.
  6. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Whatever Lux’s diagnosis was he’s still alright with me.

ping-ping-clicka and P Thought like this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting thread lately. Love the reference to industrialization. And the Greeks. I’ll rephrase my original hypothesis. Human brain wiring hasn’t changed so the spectrum and frequency of possible behavior patterns and personalities remains pretty much the same. (Although frequency of behavior changes due to environmental factors like malnutrition or exposure to toxins like lead does change.) I think we tend to elicit certain behaviors via social/cultural approval and reward and suppress others via condemnation and punishment. I believe American society today often rewards narcissistic behavior, to our collective detriment. Maybe, just maybe, Internet is an accelerant, but the fire had already been fanned.

RLee77, P Thought and JayFreddy like this.
  8. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I disagree.We have found better methods to weed the scum out.I've seen them in every job I've ever had.If you've ever been screwed over by one of these bastards,you wouldn't even be making this post.

Prince1999 and P Thought like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm down with some of these ideas. In particular, I can see the family structure breakdown that has happened in smaller communities, where people have been forced to assimilate American culture. It's largely been toxic, moving from a system that stresses balance with a seen and unseen universe, and downplays the self and nurtures kinship ties, to a society centered on the self and the individual, within that same 100 years.

I see how smartphones and the web have accelerated the symptoms, carving new niches for narcissism. We frequently invent new words for tech-related occurrences (what buzzwords are), and we have yet to see the current technological growth run it's course. For this reason, I don't think the word has been overused, it's been reassigned to describe the state of social interactions around us. We can split hairs about it, but I see no reason why we can't keep NPD distinct and also describe the flux idea of cultural self-centrism.

Harry Styron, RLee77 and P Thought like this.
  10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Once upon a time, pretty much everyone worked really hard every day just to survive. Some had it easier and some had it harder, but as we advanced into the age of mechanization and automation we were presented with so many ways to envy others. We no longer were forced to be smart and hard working just to survive, we could now spend more time figuring out how to keep up with the Jones's and have what they have without actually working for it.

I think there are those who are immune to those influences that tend to create narcissistic tendencies. I really like those people. They like to exchange ideas, rather than promulgate. They take criticism with a smile and work toward common goals.

Such an interesting thread...

Harry Styron, RLee77 and P Thought like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

What complicates defining or even recognizing narcissism for most folks is that while the narsissist wants to stand alone, narcissism is usually only one of a cluster of disorders. Autism is like this in that it is usually thought of by professionals as the autism spectrum. It may be wise to begin thinking of narcissism the same way. When a person with a disorganized personality is prominently in the news, armchair psychologists will sometimes try to make a diagnosis based on what little they learned in PSY101. Such a diagnosis is pointless and more often than not inaccurate. The sad part is that those in most need of help often believe the problem is with everybody around them no matter what their actual problem.

Prince1999 and P Thought like this.
  12. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Yeah, especially narcissists.

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Like you, I look for answers in literature. Its purpose is to reveal human nature in response to culture and environment. In this thread I keep thinking about Willy Loman, who tried all his life to believe he was "vital in New England", whose American Dream was for personal significance, and who was destroyed when he realized he had none, it was only a dream.

Was Willy a narcissist? I think maybe Happy was, and Biff somehow escaped becoming one.

Harry Styron, Jimmy Owen and JL_LI like this.
  14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

In the original myth that got lost in Tzetzes' retelling, Narcissus would hold up his hand and shout loudly whenever someone tried to criticize him, he would "block" their speech so to speak. Zeus appointed a tribunal of God's, a "court" if you will, that told him he could no longer do that. Not really one to listen to others,it lead to his ultimate fate.

Prince1999, BorderRadio and P Thought like this.
  15. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It blew up with the 'ME' generation
    and now fed by the 'millenial' entitled gen.

It is only slightly fed by the (psycho centering phenom) going on.

Jimmy Owen and P Thought like this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I remember in the late 80s/early 90s when it was common to see the bumper sticker,
    "He who dies with the most toys wins". That is the epitome of a culture approving or at
    least not scolding self-centered-ness... that it was actually "cool" to drive around with
    this sticker on the back of your car.

As a member of the TDPRI I will confess that I have my share of GAS and toy acquisition,
    but I like to think that I realize this isn't the source of real joy or "winning".

Teleterr and P Thought like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sure that this thread was either intentionally, unintentionally, or perhaps subliminally prompted about ME. Since I have been clinically (well TDPRI Clinically) diagnosed as a true Narcissist, and worse prompted by a recent thread I started. That's okay, I'm like old Merle I'm proud of what I am, after all I wouldn't be much of a narcissist if I wasn't. Being Mr. Wonderful all of the time, and never HAVING to say I'm sorry (even if I occasionally ELECT to) has it's philosophical benefits. Let me see now, should I cause the sun to set a few minutes later this evening just so that I can appreciate being me in the twilight for a few minutes more today? We'll get to that when we get to that, right now it's just wonderful being me, and I'm so caught up in the moment.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

It can be dangerous voicing an opinion that’s not widely shared, but I see it this way. Toto’s Dad isn’t a narcissist, even if he’d like to be. There are a fair number of us who share a personality trait. Trait, not disorder. On occasion we can get a little too full of ourselves. Threads like this can serve to bring us to ground. My mother used to “ground” me all the time. I still need to be brought to earth when I’m sparking too much. My capacitors were never very effective o_O:confused::oops:

Toto'sDad and P Thought like this.
  19. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

What does this thread have to do with me?

20. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nothing like a freshly waxed truck to say..."LOOK AT ME!!!":D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.