Nancy Wilson playing a Flying V

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Afflicted
Before you admit to me that Nancy Wilson only plays Telecasters and Takamine acoustics, I will let you know that ex-Mrs. Cameron Crowe actually played a few Flying V like copies.

1665379355994.png

1665379371866.png

This is a Korina Flying V. It was used on many of the Heart recordings in the Eighties, such as This Man Is Mine, Allies, Alone, If Looks Could Kill and What About Love. I believe it is from either 1958 or 1959, given that it has the giant Gibson logo on the headstock, rather than later Flying Vs which usually have the Gibson logo designed on the truss rod. I often wonder when Nancy acquired this guitar?

However, Nancy also used a sunburst Dean Flying V copy in the eighties and nineties.
1665379507520.png

1665379526743.png

A Dean Flying V guitar in sunburst finish, serial number 0601493. Nancy Wilson remembers playing this guitar on stage and in some Heart music videos. Accompanied by a color photograph of Nancy Wilson with the guitar, signed in black marker "[heart] Nancy Wilson," and an original hardshell case. It was eventually auctioned off in 2015.

However, I do know that Nancy owned a real Gibson Flying V. However, Howard Leese owns a 58 Flying V, which he uses along with his Gibson Firebirds and a Telecaster.

Howard says of the guitar: "Well, there’s the ’58 Gibson Flying V with a white pickguard. I’ve had it a long time; it’s a guitar I played on some of the Heart records for power chords. It’s very even from note to note, so when you strum a chord it’s very homogenized. It’s a really good basic-track guitar. I used it when we cut the drums; Heart always used live bass, drums and rhythm guitar. Another thing that’s great about the V is that it’s so microphonic you can talk into the pickups… no talkback mic needed (laughs)! The guitar track becomes part of the snare sound; you can hear the snare drum through the guitar. It’s a nice bleed. It’s all over the ’80s tracks, stuff like “Alone” and “What About Love.”

Nancy no longer owns her own Flying V. In a recent interview, Nancy claimed of the Flying V's whereabouts: "My Flying V went to another home. I sold it to the guitarist for the Scorpions, Rudolf Schenker. He’s got this huge collection of original Flying Vs. So, he’s got my old V there with his stash.

I have the blue carbon top Ovation from the mid-to-late seventies, and it actually went on tour without me. The guitar went to the “Play it Loud” exhibit at the Metropolitan in New York—there’s all these amazing instruments and guitars. It was there for like six months; then they moved the entire exhibit over to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland (Rock Hall Museum). Now it’s there for a few more months. I always said, “Oh, it’s the only guitar that went on tour without me.” But I don’t have my first Flying V. I kind of fell on some financial hardship and wound up selling it to Rudolph (Scorpions).

A friend of my guitar tech built me another Flying V that’s incredibly great. It’s kind of diminutive, slightly smaller, easier for a girl to play, but it screams just as loud as any Flying V. He made it from a piece of mantle wood that was salvaged from a burned-down house. I think it was an oak mantle, and he fashioned a Flying V out of it. I played that V with Heart most of the last tour, and it’s so much fun. It’s really loud. And then he went ahead and built me a twelve-string V, which is highly unusual. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that before. So, I’m going to have to take that one for a spin.

Some of the early Ovations, they don’t really record as well because they’re just a different, less wooden kind of a sound. I was playing a lot of Takamines for a long time, and then Martin approached me with a signature concept. So I worked with them on a signature Martin (HD-35 Nancy Wilson Dreadnought Signature Edition), which I love dearly, and I have a few of them. That’s my main go-to now because I designed it to be Crosby, Stills & Nash-like, a three-piece back, dreadnought style. And it’s got such a good, responsive tone, and it’s lovely to play. I love playing it.

“My guitars all get really scratched up.”
I believe that Michael Schenker also owns a Flying V that was owned by Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash, one criminally skilled guitarist who was single handedly responsible for the popularization of the instrument. Eddie Van Halen and J. Geils are also known for playing Flying Vs.
I hope you enjoyed this post about Nancy Wilson of Heart being a Flying V player.

Fiesta Red

Doctor of Teleocity
I've always taken her as the "total package"......hopefully in a respectful way. ;)
Oh, I’m not saying she’s not pretty—she’s absolutely gorgeous…I just think a lot of people (musicians included) overlook her musical abilities because of her looks.

She’s a very talented guitarist, writer and performer…

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Johnny Winter!
Johnny Winter was a small venue in a convention center , the set up was tiny my wife got me tickets for my birthday it was the last concert I went to as the audience , I did work for Bob Dylan , Black Crowes, Ailice cooper, Kiss, hedley, Billy Talent , ZZTop, Heart, John Fogerty,collective soul, Jason Bonham, and more Alan Jackson, Toby Keith .

but the Johnny Winter was special as he passed less than 2yrs later

he stood for the entire encore and finished with hwy 61 that morphed into castles made of sand by hendrix , great show

Last edited:

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
Thank you for letting us know. What other guitars does she play?
She's played a lot. In some of her videos she's playing an even more metal-looking guitar than the V.
Nancy originally wanted to be in a Led Zeppelin-style band; she's a pretty good metal head. One of her charms is that she's a pretty versatile guitar player. At this point she's probably forgotten more of what she played than what her fans remember.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
She plays every guitar imaginable. Her collection is very large.
I had a chance many years ago to buy Heart's Gibson 1275 double neck at Bill Lewis Music in Vancouver , I was too young at the time it was shortly after the Dream Boat Annie album release . it had the heart shaped divit between the necks .
Bill Lewis also Made the Lewis Guitar for David Gilmour used on the DSOTM album and can be seen in the studio shot on the Live At Pompeii Video.

dasherf17

Tele-Meister
25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
Before you admit to me that Nancy Wilson only plays Telecasters and Takamine acoustics, I will let you know that ex-Mrs. Cameron Crowe actually played a few Flying V like copies.

View attachment 1038485

View attachment 1038486

This is a Korina Flying V. It was used on many of the Heart recordings in the Eighties, such as This Man Is Mine, Allies, Alone, If Looks Could Kill and What About Love. I believe it is from either 1958 or 1959, given that it has the giant Gibson logo on the headstock, rather than later Flying Vs which usually have the Gibson logo designed on the truss rod. I often wonder when Nancy acquired this guitar?

However, Nancy also used a sunburst Dean Flying V copy in the eighties and nineties. View attachment 1038487

View attachment 1038488

A Dean Flying V guitar in sunburst finish, serial number 0601493. Nancy Wilson remembers playing this guitar on stage and in some Heart music videos. Accompanied by a color photograph of Nancy Wilson with the guitar, signed in black marker "[heart] Nancy Wilson," and an original hardshell case. It was eventually auctioned off in 2015.

However, I do know that Nancy owned a real Gibson Flying V. However, Howard Leese owns a 58 Flying V, which he uses along with his Gibson Firebirds and a Telecaster.

Howard says of the guitar: "Well, there’s the ’58 Gibson Flying V with a white pickguard. I’ve had it a long time; it’s a guitar I played on some of the Heart records for power chords. It’s very even from note to note, so when you strum a chord it’s very homogenized. It’s a really good basic-track guitar. I used it when we cut the drums; Heart always used live bass, drums and rhythm guitar. Another thing that’s great about the V is that it’s so microphonic you can talk into the pickups… no talkback mic needed (laughs)! The guitar track becomes part of the snare sound; you can hear the snare drum through the guitar. It’s a nice bleed. It’s all over the ’80s tracks, stuff like “Alone” and “What About Love.”

Nancy no longer owns her own Flying V. In a recent interview, Nancy claimed of the Flying V's whereabouts: "My Flying V went to another home. I sold it to the guitarist for the Scorpions, Rudolf Schenker. He’s got this huge collection of original Flying Vs. So, he’s got my old V there with his stash.

I have the blue carbon top Ovation from the mid-to-late seventies, and it actually went on tour without me. The guitar went to the “Play it Loud” exhibit at the Metropolitan in New York—there’s all these amazing instruments and guitars. It was there for like six months; then they moved the entire exhibit over to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland (Rock Hall Museum). Now it’s there for a few more months. I always said, “Oh, it’s the only guitar that went on tour without me.” But I don’t have my first Flying V. I kind of fell on some financial hardship and wound up selling it to Rudolph (Scorpions).

A friend of my guitar tech built me another Flying V that’s incredibly great. It’s kind of diminutive, slightly smaller, easier for a girl to play, but it screams just as loud as any Flying V. He made it from a piece of mantle wood that was salvaged from a burned-down house. I think it was an oak mantle, and he fashioned a Flying V out of it. I played that V with Heart most of the last tour, and it’s so much fun. It’s really loud. And then he went ahead and built me a twelve-string V, which is highly unusual. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that before. So, I’m going to have to take that one for a spin.

Some of the early Ovations, they don’t really record as well because they’re just a different, less wooden kind of a sound. I was playing a lot of Takamines for a long time, and then Martin approached me with a signature concept. So I worked with them on a signature Martin (HD-35 Nancy Wilson Dreadnought Signature Edition), which I love dearly, and I have a few of them. That’s my main go-to now because I designed it to be Crosby, Stills & Nash-like, a three-piece back, dreadnought style. And it’s got such a good, responsive tone, and it’s lovely to play. I love playing it.

I believe that Michael Schenker also owns a Flying V that was owned by Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash, one criminally skilled guitarist who was single handedly responsible for the popularization of the instrument. Eddie Van Halen and J. Geils are also known for playing Flying Vs.
I hope you enjoyed this post about Nancy Wilson of Heart being a Flying V player.
She mentioned Andy Powell, Wishbone Ash...bless her Heart...yes, pun intended...!

Joefish

Tele-Afflicted
During my LA cartage days in the 80s, we also did rentals.

Andy Brauer had some nice guitars and amps ( … including a Dumble 50w Overdrive Special … in brown suede - believe it or not, because everyone wanted a Bradshaw … which we had for rental, I only remembering renting it once, when I delivered it to Amigo Studio for the Neville Brothers).

So, one evening (84 or 85), Andy asks me take a Les Paul to the Record Plant.

I forget which studio they told me to go to when I got there.

I walk in … (I can still see it clear as day since it was a Peak Life Experience) and there was Ms. Wilson sitting on the floor changing her own strings – just way too cool!

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Oh, I’m not saying she’s not pretty—she’s absolutely gorgeous…I just think a lot of people (musicians included) overlook her musical abilities because of her looks.

She’s a very talented guitarist, writer and performer…
Yup - I blame the 80's Los Angeles music video industry, who gave folks the wrong idea - that she was just a nugget of eye candy, and forgot to mention she could really burn it down. And she still can. :cool:

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yup - I blame the 80's Los Angeles music video industry, who gave folks the wrong idea - that she was just a nugget of eye candy, and forgot to mention she could really burn it down. And she still can. :cool:
I was bit saddened that the video of" These dreams" , the only song sung by Nancy got awards , when the whole body of work by Anne never got the recognition she deserved . Anne could out Plant , Plant singing Zep tunes.

these girls all had massive talent and were great show men on stage.
on the inside of Dtream Boat Annie , you will see a picture of the drummer ( Dave Wilson ) one of the drummers on the album, playing a set of Red wood shell gretsch 24" double Kick drums , Dave lent those to me for my studio in Richmond, Dave was the drummer on "Magic Man " on the album.

Last edited: