Naming Your Dog.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have one rule for pet names - never give the animal a name you'd be embarrassed to shout at the top of your lungs at 3:00 AM as you walk up and down the sidewalks of your block.
In high school, my buddy had a girlfriend. She had a pair of dogs. Rottweilers. Her father named the dogs, and had a great sense of humor. Those dogs got out all the time and she would have to roam the neighborhood yelling for “Satan” and “Scrotum”.

We thought it was a lot funnier than she did.

perttime

Friend of Leo's
Our requirements for a dog's nickname (as opposed to the official name that the breeder put in the paperwork):
- short
- something inspired by the particular dog
- preferably not a human's name

johnny7

Tele-Meister
My wife names the pets. Sully is our hot mess of a rescue and is my avatar. In the winter we let him wear his fur long. He will soon have his summer cut and then we get asked "Did you get another dog?". I never get to name the dogs in fact even the names I chose for our daughters did not make the cut.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
An ex-work colleague of mine, Linda, fosters cats & dogs.
She was looking after a big grey cat that her husband, Tom, immediately fell in love with.
She rang the Rescue Shelter to say they were thinking of keeping her. She then asked what her name was....

Linda then said to Tom:
'Who's your favourite guitarist - Eric Clapton'
'What's you favourite Eric Clapton song - Layla'.
Guess what the cat's called...
He was over the moon.

KennyWTelejazz

Tele-Meister
I always said to myself if I ever got another Pitbull I would name him Brad The Pit .:lol:
My current dog Milo is a rescue . I like his name , he likes his name so it stays .
Milo 25.png
Milo.jpg

Kenny

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
doghymns.jpg

Here are Zoe' and Boo!, brother and sister, singing along to the hymns during lockdown.

My wife named Zoe', I named Boo!. Zoe' crossed the rainbow bridge last year, this time. Boo! is soldiering on. We adopted these siblings on a snowy winter night, fourteen years ago. I've always been a cat person but Boo! adopted me from the very first night and has been my constant companion since.

bothpups2.jpg

That's my son with Zoe'. Funny. I got the first dog I could call my own when I was 51 years old.

Bob

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Had a dog named Dammit when we were kids. Mom would yell "Dammit, get in the house!" With her head out the door and the neighbors were all convinced she was nuts. She was nuts btw.
Reminds me of an old family story. My dad and the next door neighbor, Hank, used to stand in the driveway and chew the fat, solving the problems of the world. When my dad was gearing up to make a grand pronouncement, he'd say, "Damn it, Hank..." followed by his considered opinion about the high school basketball team, LBJ, kids today with the long hair, etc. My little brother picked up on that and other uses of "damn it" when hammering something in the garage. One day, I was hanging out with him in the living room, when he tripped and bumped his head on a speaker cabinet. He got back up and just said "damn it, Hank."

brenn

Tele-Afflicted
"Anyone else hear name their pups after songwriters / guitarists / bands?"

No, but I did name one "Rudy" after Jamaican rude boys of the 1960s ska scene.

These two were named Rudy P. Sizemore and Leon Archibald Franks, going from left to right. They lived to be 15 and 18, respectively.

I never cared for standard dog names, so we just named them whatever felt right. Rudy's name was inspired by ska music, especially "A Message to You Rudy." Leon was named after Opie's little friend Leon on about 5 episodes of the Andy Griffith show.

pups2.jpg

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Our first mutt was "Roxanne", she had a big nose and the song was on the radio...

They have been mostly rescues, all named themselves...except "Cricket", the border collie and "Cleo", the Rat Terrier. Miz Diane insisted. She always goes straight for cutesy names...though "Cleo" fit her personality perfectly. Manipulative monarch.

Current best dog ever, "Rocket", was "Abe" at the shelter. He replaced "Jake" ("Blue" shelter-name) after he died. Jake's girlfriend was frantic by herself so we got her a new boyfriend.

On the way back from the shelter, we went through the naming routine and settled on "Rocket"...not getting the connection for two days. His new girlfriend was "Skye". Skye went back to her normal sweet self and they were inseparable until she died. We never referred to them as "Skye Rocket".

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Not a dog guy, but I’ve had some cat names. I had a tabby named Nancy. Neutered male. A vet from India called him “her” but I corrected him. He said “Nancy is a boy? Ohhh, he is a little Nancy-boy!” Which described that cat pretty well, for someone who had just met him.

I knew a woman who named her male beagle "Daisy". Daisy Dog. He didn't seem to mind.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
No musical artists but we had a pair, a male miniature Schnauzer and a female Wheaten Cairn Terrier we named Ricky and Lucy. Our current dog is Toby and he's an older adoption.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Met a guy at a concert years ago, said he and his partner repaired pinball machines.

He gave me his card, it read: "Ace & Sluggo".

Sluggo was the best dog I ever had.

Check it out: https://soundcloud.com/martin-potee...d&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
My previously mentioned cat Nancy was originally named “Deathrow” because that’s where I got him (he was scheduled for euthanasia at a shelter.) His orange buddy was named “Skidrow” because the animal shelter he came from was down by the river next to the water treatment plant. Nice neighbourhood. Anyway, Mrs. German disapproved, and renamed them Nancy and Sluggo. I wasn’t sure about the Nancy, but Sluggo fit my orange cat perfectly. He lasted 20 years, and was the best cat I ever had. (Nancy was also a damn good cat.)

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
My wife usually does the official naming of pets while I do the nicknames. In some cases, pets have gotten 3 names, including their own last name different from ours. For example, one of our now deceased cats went by Milo James O'Toole. Our vet's office thought that was funny on his chart.
This sound like how it works at our house too. My wife and I run a small animal shelter, and she’s into naming by theme, for instance a litter of feral kittens named after pop stars: Adele, Jagger, etc. My son rolls his eyes at this and tries to put in votes for ridiculously improbable names, to try to continue a tradition he began accidentally when he chose the name “Donut” for a dog that turned out to be kind of a homicidal maniac to anyone he didn’t know.*

It might have been the two tabbies we took in, one brown and one orange, which my wife named “Tea” and “Tang,” that my son suggested naming “Concrete” and “Steve” just to be annoying.

I usually roll with whatever the name is, figuring I will come up with a self-amusing nickname in time, regardless. One time we found this stray beagle and took him to our vet for shots and a heartworm test and I told the staff we were calling him “Beagle X.” My wife quickly named him “Joey” but it pleases me to no end when the vet staff still asks her about Beagle X, and she glares at me and I chuckle (This being years after Joey got adopted).
Jackie Chan is a rescue. We got him when he was 3. His name from his previous life was “Blackie”. The shelter already had a couple of Blackies, so they called him Blackjack.

We wanted to name him ourselves, but didn’t want to make it so different it would be difficult for him. My wife suggested Jackie, and I said “like Jackie Chan?” And she said “just like Jackie Chan.” And So Blackie, aka Blackjack, became Jackie, aka Jack Jack. AKA Jackie Chan.

When we got him, he was 100% black except for the white splotch on his chest. When we’d had him about a year, he started morphing all the time. Sometimes he’s almost all black, sometimes he’s almost all white. Sometimes he’s black with white spots all over like a reversed Dalmatian. Sometimes he’s all over the place. He’ll get black with with white spots in just weird random places, and streaks of red/brown all through the black if you see him out in bright sunlight. The vet says he doesn’t know what’s causing it, but he’s perfectly healthy so we just go with it.

View attachment 978130 View attachment 978131 View attachment 978133 View attachment 978134 View attachment 978135 View attachment 978136 View attachment 978137 View attachment 978138 View attachment 978139

I may have said this before, but if not, wow! Jack jack is 1 cool-looking dog! Lookit those markings...almost like one of those African painted dogs!

*Donut:
55FA5F2A-CEE5-4AE2-9902-AF4EED88AA26.jpeg

Last edited:

Andy B

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Our current dog, a 9 month old Lhasa Apso is named Enzo. Mr Ferrari’s name actually came to us from the book: The Art Of Racing in the Rain, which is told first person by Enzo the dog. Since reading that book, my wife‘s mind was made up that the next male dog would be Enzo.
The first picture was last fall, the second a month or so ago.

Enzo.jpg
Enzo_2.JPG

Last edited: