Name Your Favorite Vocalist-Male- Female?

padreraven

Tele-Meister
An impossible question but I've enjoyed reading the answers. Among the names I haven't seen (and maybe I missed one):
Peter, Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Bonnie Guitar, Simon & Garfunkle, James Brown, Melissa Etheridge, George Harrison, The Staples Singers, Roberta Flack, Joe and Eddie. I would add a lot of those already mentioned if I wanted to sit and type for a while, but there are a number of great names there.

mmannaxx

Tele-Meister
For now, uh, Raul Malo, Vince Gill, Dwight Yoakam, Don Henley, Frank Sinatra, Nat Cole, Johnny Mathis, Hag, Roy Orbison.
Gentler side: Linda Ronstadt, Martina McBride, Karen Carpenter, Dusty Springfield.

Last edited:

Telebra

Tele-Meister
For the males, how about;
Johnny Ray ('Cry' almost sounds like Brenda Lee)
Joe Henderson (Snap your fingers)
Johnny Adams (Reconsider me)
Females:
Dianah Washington
Ruth Brown ( she's got that Betty Boop thing going)
June Valli (check out 'Crying in the chapel' after you listen to both Elvis and the Orioles. Both great versions but Whoa, June's dynamics)

Yeah, I know these are all from last century, but so am I.....and I still live there!

jdgladw

Tele-Meister
A couple male singers have been mentioned that I like- Zander, Marty Robbins, James Carr... but here is a female singer I'd pick as a favorite that I haven't seen listed yet:

Last edited:

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
A couple male singers have been mentioned that I like- Zander, Marty Robbins... but here is a female singer I'd pick as a favorite that I haven't seen listed yet:

Answers are skewing heavily towards American (or English speaking)singers; Mariza wouldn't have been my choice from Portugal, but she's a good one. Others I'd put on a short list; Nati Mistral, Estrela Morente (Spain); Amalia Rodriguez, Ana Moura (Portugal); Fairuz, Ofra Haza (Middle East); Susana Baca (Peru); Virginia Rodriguez, Luciana Souza (Brazil); Maria Volonte (Argentina), Ibrahim Ferrer (Cuba); Salif Keita (Mali); probably more if I think about it.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Gaye and Curtis Mayfield have the finest falsettos in pop music. I dig Mayfield because he also wrote, played, produced. And his Tele playing is WONDERFUL!!

Agreed!

Marvin also wrote, played (piano, organ, drums and percussion) on, and produced records.

But, it was his voice that was his best instrument.

I've read that he was Joni Mitchell's favorite singer.

That says A LOT!

imo.