Name Your Favorite Vocalist-Male- Female?

bigbenbob

TDPRI Member
For me it's the incredible voices of[Nat King Cole- Sarah Vaughan].
Where to start. I'm with you on Nat King Cole. Sarah...I've heard too many of her later off pitch recordings to count her a favorite. A surprise singer I like is George Benson. If he had been around during the 1950's, people would have forgotten all about Sinatra (NOT one of my favorites). His Big Boss Band album with Basie's orchestra really showcases him.
I love Dianah Washington. Dramatic and accurate. Chris Connor and June Christy (even WITH her pitch problems) really get me. KD Laing has a voice for the ages as does Adele. I saw her on the 2nd last night of her Wembley engagement when she claimed her voice was going and she nailed the entire night. Aretha may be my favorite jazz singer ever. I think her early 1960's jazz records are inexcusably overlooked. Aretha Sings the Blues is a great jazz double album that puts her in my pantheon of the jazz greats forever. Yes, Eva Cassidy can make me cry every time and she's so musical and perfect. I really think that Amy Winehouse moved the target in our age the way Billie Holiday did. Just like Bille, she used simply WRONG vocal techniques that she pulled off beautifully to great effect, and the legions of singers who imitate either of them just can't do it. Little Willie John (James Brown's inspiration) is mind boggling. He wring so much emotion out of any stupid standard. Johnny Adams from New Orleans was a national treasure. Man, that guy deserved some fame he never got. Puts his neighbor Aaron neville to shame. There are so many more.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
You have good taste in girl singers!
Q: Who is the most prolific selling singer of ALL music styles for ALL time? Note: this singer's sales continually rise from year to year, and show no signs in abating.
Hint: This singer never possessed more than 1.5 octaves of usable range. In the middle career, the range reduced about 3 steps. Ny the time of her last good record whe had but a single octave of range.
A: LADY DAY! She is THE only Jazz Artist who will consistently sell to non-Jazz listeners. I like her Brunswick and Vocalion sides best, and frequently play along with them. The Decca sides are the most popular, but Decca had a lot of syrupy and schmaltzy arrangers (like Mitch Miller and Axel Stordahl) —whom I think ruined a LOT of good records!

I pray you are also listening to Ella, Chris Connor, Anita O'Day, June Christy. Mildred Bailey, Pet Clark, Early Peggy Lee, with her husband, Dave Barbour (guitar player), Early Kay Starr, Jessica Molasky with the Pizzarelli Brothers, Ray Kennedy, etc. Madeleine Peyroux is also an important modern singer worthy of patronage. While many people seem to hear a lot of Lady Day in her work, I find her to be a true original and I love her work. Tierney Sutton is faultless, —but that is the problem; her NATURAL INSTRUMENT lacks the unique affectations that I think the finest singers MUST have.
And, DO play with the Billy Holiday sides! It's a great lesson! If you play with the Brunswick and Vocalion sides, you find yourself being taught by Karl Kress, Dick Mcdonough, Freddy Green, Allen Reuss, and more! Generally, the rhythm section was whoever was in town at the town at the time, and the BASIE band was in town a LOT!
Playing with Jo Jones, Freddie Green, Teddy Wilson and Walter Paige as your rhythm section is sublime! I think a couple of sides even have Basie on piano.
Live to play!
I agree about Peyroux- her voice has sometimes some resemblance to Holiday, but I don't think she really owes any more to her than anyone else singing that repertoire (which is to say quite a bit). Billy Holiday has been a persistent seller, though a bit surprised that she's outsold Om Kalsoum. Of course a lot of Billy Holiday records are also Benny Goodman records etc. Kind of an odd list of female singers; if we're going with white girls, though, I'd want to throw in Lee Wiley and Blossom Dearie, at least.

stueycaster

TDPRI Member
Male: Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli, Vince Gill, Steve Wariner, Peter Hollens and all the guys in Home Free.

Female: Alison Krauss, Susie Bogguss, Reba McEntire, Kirsten Maldonado, Anne Murray, Linda Ronstadt, Hayley Westenra and Lisa Kelly.

I just heard another of my favorite ladies: Shania Twain

Last edited:

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My top picks have been posted.

Honorable mentions:

David Crosby
Graham Nash
Ian Anderson
George Strait
Seal

Chaka Kahn
Cary Underwood
Trisha Yearwood

Last edited:

threadedtime

TDPRI Member
That's a tough one...Favorite Male: #1 Robert Plant...#2 Burton Cummings...#3 Freddy Mercury........Female #1 Linda Ronstadt...#2 Kelly Clarkson...#3 Pat Benatar