Name Your Favorite Vocalist-Male- Female?

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
I’m gonna say Ann Wilson and Freddie Mercury cause nobody else did. but really everyone mentioned in this thread could be number one. Paul Rodgers Karen carpenter usually are my kneejerk responses. Merle Haggard favorite all time artist. Lynyrd Skynyrd favorite band. This is impossible just ignore my ramblings lol.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I’m gonna say Ann Wilson and Freddie Mercury cause nobody else did. but really everyone mentioned in this thread could be number one. Paul Rodgers Karen carpenter usually are my kneejerk responses. Merle Haggard favorite all time artist. Lynyrd Skynyrd favorite band. This is impossible just ignore my ramblings lol.
Had to give a like to a kindred Skynyrd fan. As famous as they were, I only hear the same old 3 or 4 songs on local radio. In today's world they are severely over looked.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
Well, this is impossible. But for today let’s say:
Wilson Pickett
LaVern Baker
I could never pick one all-time favorite from either gender.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Claudio Sanchez (Coheed and Cambria) at first I wasn’t impressed. But quickly grew on me.

Also one of my all time favorite covers.

DougieLove

Tele-Afflicted
Female - Elizabeth Frasier (Cocteau Twins), Harriet Wheeler (The Sundays), and Anneli Drecker (Bel Canto). I'm also really digging the girl from Wolf Alice.

Male - Bono (up until early-mid '90s), Dean Martin, and Mickey Dolenz, truth be told.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Female 1). Karen Carpenter .......... 2). Candice Night .......... 3). Annie Haslam .......... 4). Stevie Nicks
Male 1). Brad Delp ............................ 2). Harry Nilsson .......... 3). Nat King Cole .......... 4). Roger Whittaker

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
For me it's the incredible voices of[Nat King Cole- Sarah Vaughan].

I've always been drawn to power(most likely since I have none of it myself), so my picks are as follows -

Female: Nitte Valo.
"Who?!", you say and I don't blame you that much.
Nitte Valo was the first vocalist of the Finnish metal band Battle Beast.
Sadly she quit the band due to "family issues" as per Wikipedia. The replacement vocalist is very capable
but still can't hold a candle to the sheer awesomeness of Nitte Valo IMHO.
Here's a video to support my case. I feel most vocalists need to take a long hard look in the mirror after this thing.

Male: Devin Townsend.
Probably needs no introduction but I'll say that I first got Devin "sprung" on me through Steve Vai's album Sex & Religion.
I was blown away then. I thought Devin sounded like what Freddy Mercury would have sounded like if he had
veered more into hard rock. Indeed, for me, Devin is the most jaw-dropping vocalist I know, on this side of Freddie Mercury.
My first contact with Devin's solo material came through this video. After collecting my jaw off the floor I started
acquiring Devin Townsend albums.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Very hard to narrow the field down but here's a fellow who I class as one of the best in the biz, he's largely unknown even down here in Oz
Mick Pealing, rock/country/blue eyed soul thing going on.
This song came out when I was about 12 yo, I still rate it highly

As for female vocalists, also hard to narrow down. I know this is cheating but cop these two sisters, and wait for the harmonies and key changes

Last edited:

smartsoul72

Tele-Holic
Female - Elizabeth Frasier (Cocteau Twins), Harriet Wheeler (The Sundays), and Anneli Drecker (Bel Canto). I'm also really digging the girl from Wolf Alice.

Male - Bono (up until early-mid '90s), Dean Martin, and Mickey Dolenz, truth be told.
Mickey Dolenz! That was unexpected, but a great choice