Name these volume knobs, please (Bassman Micro)

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
As everyone here knows by now, I'm working up plans to build an EF80 Bassman Micro as designed by our amazing friend @robrob. As many of you know, it has a 'preamp MV' and a (Type 3) post-PI MV.

1656942704784.png

But how would you label their knobs? Plain ol' "Pre MV" and "MV"? Not very informative. I want short labels that'll fit on a crowded faceplate. Is there a single word that captures the essence of the preamp MV? Would you give the plain ol' volume knob a different name? Could the Type 3 have a better label than 'Master'?

Part of my problem, I admit, is this will be my first MV amp, but worse than that, I'm not smart about how they'll affect the sound. I get how the Type 3 works, but my whole concept of preamp v. power amp distortion is vague.

Last edited:

Paul-T

Tele-Holic
I share your slight confusion - and I'm watching this build intently as I'm planning something similar and pondering which PT.

I think I would go for Gain, Pre and Master/MV.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
OK, now we're talking. Thanks, gentlemen. Just to be sure I'm clear, @Paul-T , you're listing these in faceplate order, nominal volume = Gain, then pre-MV and then post-MV? Except, @Mexitele Blues , I take it you're not? Level = ???

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I find it strange that you don't name them what they are - A Preamp Master Volume is a Master on the Preamp - so you can turn your Preamp up full but not have it push your Master (Power Tubes) - The Brightness Master is an odd one - but just takes the Bright portion of the preamp and limits it (or full Volume/any where in between if you wish) - the Master Volume limits the signal to the power tubes - very similar to the preamp master but it doesn't touch the preamp - just the signal from the preamp.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I find it strange that you don't name them what they are - A Preamp Master Volume is a Master on the Preamp - so you can turn your Preamp up full but not have it push your Master (Power Tubes) - The Brightness Master is an odd one - but just takes the Bright portion of the preamp and limits it (or full Volume/any where in between if you wish) - the Master Volume limits the signal to the power tubes - very similar to the preamp master but it doesn't touch the preamp - just the signal from the preamp.

FWIW I think Rob just brought over the term "Bright Volume" from the full Bassman when he deleted the Normal channel. I appreciate your trying to help me see out what the pots do, but I'm not sure 'naming them what they are' solves my problem on the faceplate.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Of course you may not like brevity!

I love brevity. It's not only the soul of wit, it's the heart of fitting the labels on the faceplate. :)

Gotta admit I'm liking 'Gain.' Sounds like a real amp. Here's how backwards I am. IIRC the only amp I've ever owned with a Gain knob was a brief-tenure Frontman 15 I got years ago so I could practice with headphones -- and a (gasp snort) iPod...

Last edited:

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Yes, intended in order.
Preamp
Post-preamp
Level

Thinking about it, I now see what you're going for, literally 'naming the volumes'. Thanks.

I can't go with the car thing, though. "Choke"? Heh, you have to be my age to even know what that was :) , and then some bright soul is gonna suggest it's odd to have an adjustable inductor in the circuit.

I've seen creative types go with names like "Soul" or "Heavy" or "Huevos." Maybe the English majors and poets out there are just waking up and putting the coffee on... but I admit I'm about 50% literal, 30% creative, 10% trad, maybe 10% OCD....

joulupukki

Tele-Meister
On my bassman micro I labeled the first one Bright Volume but it really acts a lot more like a gain knob than anything else.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
On my bassman micro I labeled the first one Bright Volume but it really acts a lot more like a gain knob than anything else.

Thanks, compadre. Very helpful. Do the two MV knobs have a sonic difference you could put in their names? Or are they more just Thing 1 and Thing 2, like Dr. Suess? :) I suppose once I finish the build I'll be able to twirl the dials and give them names -- like waiting to name triplets after you see 'em at the hospital. But I was kinda hoping to print up little nameplates to go above their bassinets before they're born.

Len058

Tele-Meister
Gain-Volume-Master

The 'bright volume is a strange name because you'd expect a normal volume next to it but that's missing. I associate gain with an overdriven pre-amp so that's 1 and the PPI is the last volume (3), so that should be called master. The pre PI master is just volume

Squire.jpg

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Gain-Volume-Master

The 'bright volume is a strange name because you'd expect a normal volume next to it but that's missing. I associate gain with an overdriven pre-amp so that's 1 and the PPI is the last volume (3), so that should be called master. The pre PI master is just volume

Good suggestion, I like it. Re 'bright volume' on Rob's pot, see my note in post 10.

joulupukki

Tele-Meister
Alright, here's a little knob demo that shows what the volume knobs (and other switches) do:

Attachments

• 1656963816549.png
    1656963816549.png
    661.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: