Name a record your mom or dad confiscated

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Recalcitrant, May 28, 2020.

1. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Harry belafonte banana boat song

Day-O!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a Catholic mom, too, but she’d have to race me to break a Lou Reed record.
    I absolutely cannot bear the guy.
    He was a pitchy, atonal singer, wrote simplistic songs, was a rudimentary player, and wrote about subject matter I don’t care about.
    Thanks for listening.

3. dhodgeh

dhodgeh TDPRI Member

Late 60's - Steppenwolf, the live version of "The Pusher".

Mom heard "GD The Pusher" and went ballistic. Never mind that is was a protest against drugs, she would have no part of it.

Not only did she take the album, she banned me from playing anything on the family console stereo (remember those) for a month.

Never did find out what she did with that album.

D

philpm and brookdalebill like this.
  4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Our HS principal walked in just in time to hear, "Well I smoked a lotta grass...Lord knows I popped a lotta pills..."
    Game over.

5. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

None.

And my mum (75) has asked me to send her a couple of SD cards full of MP3s for her new car.

philpm, teleman1 and brookdalebill like this.
  6. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

You didn't imagine it. It's in there. Also, on the Live Killers album, Freddie introduces it by saying, "It's about..." And then there's a string of beeps censoring it, no doubt to mitigate against any potential lawsuit, even though it's a matter of public knowledge who it's about. I'd love to hear an uncensored version of that moment though.

philpm and ZenGuitarist like this.
  7. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

None, but when I was about 14, a mate and I got severely reprimanded for having a magazine article open and on full display in the school library. It concerned Cannibal Corpse, and the tagline was something along the lines of "Brutal f---ing hardcore!"

Other band names of the same genre were further down the page and only added to the sense of moral outrage as the headteacher walked past at that precise moment... Ahh, happy days.

8. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I was looking up the artwork for Warrior Soul’s Drugs, God and the new Republic when I read that the drummer was strangled then set on fire in a car park by 3 kids in their 20’s. Damn!

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Johnny Cash at San Quentin. My dad gave me the lp when I was about five or six, and then when I was walking around the house singing the songs from it, including the cuss words, they decide to take it from me. I never owned it again until I was in my twenties I bought the CD.

I stopped my daughter from listening to Black Veil Brides. I personally think they are great musicians and their music is great, but she had this depression thing going on and some other things I won't mention, and that band was fueling it. At least in her mind - it was as though it put her in a state of mind that was harming her. I told her she's only allowed to listen to what she can handle. If she shows she cannot handle it, then it gets taken away.

After the Johnny Cash album, I never had anything taken away but my mom did raise an eyebrow what she saw my Black Sabbath Mob Rules album laying on the floor.

elihu likes this.
  10. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

Looking back, 1960s BBC children's shows were far more subversive anyway:

Magic Roundabout with Dougal the dog and his "sugar" problem.
    The Herb Garden - enough said.
    Andy Pandy - cross dresser.
    Bill and Ben the FlowerPOT Men - and their best friend "Weed"...

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

maybe i'm lucky to have liked a lot of punk, metal, and hardcore with hard to understand lyrics.

12. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

No albums ever got confiscated. However, my mom did very conveniently "lose" my VH 1984 tour T-shirt (the one with the guy holding the hammer behind his back) in the laundry very shortly after I got it.

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I was 11 in 1977 and I acquired a copy of Never Mind the Bollocks by the Sex Pistols.

Mum and Dad were and are quite liberal but my Mum would not allow the playing of Bodies because of the F words and general nastiness of the track.

Curiously my Dad objected to Anarchy In The UK on the basis that the rule of law and good democratic government was precious and this type of pro anarchy message as it appeared to him were not something he wanted me to be getting into.

So I got some headphones.

Around that time thy found and removed my girlie mags too.

Recalcitrant likes this.
  14. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

Mellow Gold by Beck. I didn't even get a chance to listen to it and still today the only song I've ever heard from that record is "Loser". It was the only time my Mom actually saw a Parental Advisory sticker so I just made a better effort to hide any offending material in the future.

15. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Parents were very tolerant, but I remember the college Vice-principle snapped one day and burst into the common room and unplugged the record player that had 'Best of Cream' on repeat play, and took it into his office.

16. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

As conservative as my parents were, they never confiscated any albums. On a few occasions, my dad read the lyrics out loud to some of my explicit content labeled CDs, maybe trying to shame me into not listening to it anymore. Didn’t work.

17. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

This thread makes me cry.
    She threw away singles by the Beatles, ccr, canned heat, The Who....
    Rest In Peace mom.

Recalcitrant likes this.
  18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

None.
    Actually my mom bought me my first ever record (Billy Haley's Rock around the clock) and my dad the second (Rolling Stones' Rolled Gold).Both brought from London of course since the selling of "dirty" music was prohibited in Greece back than.

All these in the early 70s with a fascist military ("Family", "Patriotism",''Christianity" was their motto like all juntas) junta in Greece.

They were REALLY brave people.

elihu, Steve 78 and brookdalebill like this.
  19. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Don't recall ever having an LP confiscated by my parents, but I did make my copy of Zappa's "Joe's Garage" disappear before my son could listen to it.

3-Chord-Genius and grayback like this.
  20. grayback

grayback TDPRI Member

I had to hide Joe’s Garage from my kids as well. My Ramones cds were fair game, though.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.