Name a record your mom or dad confiscated

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Recalcitrant, May 28, 2020.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

the only scarring issue musically in my house hold was when my Father told me to Get that F#@$ing S#@t off of his stereo ......Moody blues "Days of the future past" then when i hitch-hiked across Canada in the summer in Grade 10 he gave my Aunt my Drum Kit to make a coffee table out of......

things got strained after that, ........a long story

elihu and brookdalebill like this.
  2. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Black Oak Arkansas Rated X

3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Never had any record confiscated...........but while my brother and I were young, we were listening to The Beatles White album, the song "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" came up and my folks had no idea what they were dancing to. I suppose they were making fun of what we listen to. My brother and and I were busting up laughing.

My dad was a die hard Merle Haggard fan, but when he heard The Beatles' "Hey Jude", he enjoyed listening to that song.

When I was quite young, I watched and listened to my mom and dad dancing to a Fats Domino album.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

I listened to this about 100 times in a row and my mom threatened to take it away if I played it one more time...

[​IMG]

czech-one-2 likes this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I told my son to be careful not to play "Mothers of Invention Live at the Filmore" when his mother was around.

Howdog likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sheeeeeeit...my dad was the man who gave me records. Except the rap ones, those came from my gangsta friends lol.

7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Quite the contrary here.
    My mum brought home the Rolling Stones 45 single (I can't get no) Satisfaction which immediately replaced that blue Beatles LP album :rolleyes:
    what was it? A hard days night, I believe.
    yes, that was engraved into our heads (3 kids) and then came Satisfaction.
    what a relief. thank you mum. :)

Years later, probably '72 my dad amazed me. asked what I was listening to and if I could put it on again.
    it was Pink Floyd - Meddle. "One Of These Days" and "Echoes" he liked particulary. :cool:

trev333 likes this.
  8. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

D1E1D651-DE45-4844-9EC1-8082CA1765DE.jpeg

9. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

None.

But I didn't have any Disney albums.

10. philpm

philpm Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Never had any taken by my parents, and the only two that I remember them forbidding us from listening to (age reasons) were George Carlin's "Class Clown" and Cheech and Chong's "Los Cochinos".

11. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I remember the "Big Balls" track from their Dirty Deeds album being quite... intriguing. Like any great work of poetry, the lyrical interpretation is left to the imagination of the beholder.

philpm and Frodebro like this.
  12. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

None. I vaguely remember my dad commenting that Metallica was relatively benign compared to some other metal bands.

He did bar me from reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas when I was 14, which my older sister had lent to me.

I don't think I'd ban my kids from anything, but if I heard anything explicitly racist or sexist I'd at least talk to them about it.

13. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

They never confiscated anything, but I remember my mom being a bit frightened by my Black Sabbath records, and some particularly....um, graphic...images on a Slayer t-shirt I liked to wear.

My dad, being a musician, never forbid me to listen to anything, but he definitely wasn’t shy about giving his opinion.

He though metal was stupid. He was mostly right. :lol:

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    philpm and brookdalebill like this.
  14. grayback

grayback TDPRI Member

My parents were Beatles fans and were ok with whatever my brother and I were into. My dad did get a little bent when he came home and caught me blasting Led Zep IV on his stereo...
    I was also cool with whatever my kids wanted to listen to. My daughter got ahold of Apostrophe and became quite a Zappa fan for a while.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a similar story.
    I got my own stereo, a GE compact record player and two “wing” speakers when I was 12.
    One of the first records I got was Neil Young & Crazy Horse’s Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere.
    I was blasting it in my room when my Dad burst in asking, “Who is she? She’s terrible!”
    I didn’t answer, I just turned Neiler way down, and remembered not to blast that one when Dad was home.
    Mom didn’t seem to mind, though she thought every record I played was the Beatles.
    I blasted a lot of them, too.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    philpm and grayback like this.
  16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

My parent s were also that, maybe this is why I cannot stand Beatles... My father was rather like the father of the Twisted Sister's video and I was like the kid... all day playing in my room over the records. I got a stereo player and they wanted me to play their beatles crap, but I started buying Chuck berry, The Clash and Stones records instead

Well... they are also catholic christians and they confiscated this record... The band is a punk band called "La polla Records" ... "Polla" is a slang word for dick here in Spain, the name of the band is like "Dick Records" and the cover was this one. They maybe a kinda of spanish Dead Kennedys

[​IMG]

czech-one-2 and philpm like this.
  17. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

they never took any music from me but confiscated my " kama sutra illustrated" :rolleyes:

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a small reel to reel player .... Dad made me a mix tape once with a few radio songs on it... off the ABC AM, I guess?...

two songs on it are burned into my memory from listening to that small reel over and over...

Marrakesh Express CSNY and Last Train to Clarksville the Monkeys version.... can't remember the other 2 songs on it...

never got to Clarksville, however I did made it to Marrakesh... thanks CSNY... probably might never have gone there if not for that tape...

Thanks Dad,,, good choices...:)

19. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

Sex Packets by The Digital Underground.
    I was 8 or 9 and started drawing dirty pictures inspired by the songs.

20. rexhunta

rexhunta TDPRI Member

NWA - Straight Outta Compton and Cypress Hill - Black Sunday.

13 year old white boys who live in the suburbs of Australia, Dad wasn't having it at all.

czech-one-2, ElJay370 and Steve 78 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.