Name a record your mom or dad confiscated

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Recalcitrant, May 28, 2020.

1. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

I remember getting the Queen album A Night At The Opera when it was released and playing it in my bedroom for the first time, starting with the first track Death On Two Legs.

At the exact moment when the music stops and Freddie says "But now you can kiss my *** goodbye" my mother walked into my bedroom, heard the line, and gave me a stern look.

She didn't confiscate the album but I've always wondered how she managed to time her entrance into my bedroom at that exact moment. Maybe she had a copy of the album herself. Hmmm . . .

What's interesting is that when I now search online for the lyrics to that song, that line isn't there. Did it get edited out of the track at some point?

drlucky likes this.
  2. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

The White Album was taken because , according to the family dentist, "Back in the USSR" celebrated communism.

I poop you not.

3. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Never had any records taken away, my parents didn't pay much mind to what I listened to. Although one time my dad surprised my friends by asking me to play the Doors, specifically "that Strange Days album". When they asked him why he liked the Doors, he said it was because they sounded so unique.

I don't have any children.

drlucky likes this.
  4. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

My mother firmly does not believe in censorship, so no matter how much she didn’t like something, she would not take it away if I spent my money on it. There were definitely music she did not care for, and I was to listen to it out of earshot.

5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

no... never.

The only time my parents said anything was when I came home with Big Black - Songs about ****ing, when I was about 17. They just said don't let your Gran see that, which I presume now was a euphemism for "keep that out of the way in your bedroom" because I don't think my Gran was going to visit and go rummaging through my record collection.

edvard likes this.
  6. wildOGpizza

wildOGpizza TDPRI Member

I was maybe 8 or 9 when twisted sister's "we're not gonna take it" single came out. I remember seeing the 12" vinyl record at Kmart when I was shopping with my mom and brothers, and she got it for us but had to wait until Christmas. When we finally got to listen, about a week later my mom wouldn't let us listen to it anymore, said it was satanic. Songs with like "Stay away from Captain Howdy" (isn't it saying 'stay away'?) and "Major of a Beast". "We're not gonna take it" was the only stand out track really so it could have been worse, if it was a really great album it would have really sucked.

Deathray and Fretting out like this.
  7. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

When I began buying albums around the age of twelve, my parents looked me in the eye and said, firmly, "We expect you to show discernment in this." I did. The inside cover of the Doobie Brothers Toulouse Street came as a shock. I taped it closed. I just wasn't it in for that, but for the music.

Now, my younger brother got the same speech as me but he got some stuff confiscated. I want to say it started with Kiss Alive, but can't exactly remember.

Bob

8. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Never had any records confiscated, but I remember my mom saying, "But they're so UGLY" when I brought this one home...:eek:
    [​IMG]

RodeoTex and Deathray like this.
  9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Never mind the bo##### by the Pistols, never understood why!

rexhunta and Deathray like this.
  10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Name a record your mom or dad confiscated

No. Never been confiscated anything.

Conversely I confoscated the only-sole-unique record that my dad bought in November 1962 - the date is stamped at the back of the sleeve along with the shop's name (Tele Globe).:twisted:

This one, exactly - legendary :

[​IMG]

I managed to find some other exemplaries since then... ;)

-tbln

11. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

None.
    However mum did get so frustrated with the volume once she came in and walloped a pair of scissors across UFO’s “Strangers in the Night” side 2. I still have the album; Just can’t play Love to Love...

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

duzie and Deathray like this.
  13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I'm really quite shocked at all this confiscation to be honest.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

"Panama" by Van Halen

"ease the seat back," etc.

everything was milder then

15. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

1969 or so and I was listening to We’re only in it for the money by the Mothers. I had listened to it many times with out any feedback from the folks. My two older bro’s and my sis were hippie types so my folks weren’t fazed to easily. There were two younger siblings in the room and Frank said he would “ love the cops as they beat the sh&$ out of him on the street”. My mom heard that, looked at the 8 and 7 year old in front of her and said she’d had enough of this crap and threw the record away.
    25 years later my son is playing his 90’s gangsta rap very loud in his room. Being from Detroit and some what street wise I heard what the rappers where talking about where as my wife was oblivious. I went in his room and told my son (who was the same age I was in 69, 15) to not play that crap when his mom was home or use headphones. The next day I came home and he’s was blasting out NWA with his Mom in the next room and I went in his room and threw all his cd’s away. Being a smart kid he rescued them from the trash the next day and I never had to hear it again. Headphones rule.

IMadeYouReadThis and Deathray like this.
  16. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

My parents never censored what I listened to or read. There were several spicy books - for the '40s and '50s - on the bookshelf.

My wife and I never censored what our son listened to. In part, if he didn't hear it at home he'd hear it elsewhere.

Every once in awhile, driving him and his friends around, they could listen to their music on the car stereo. Rap/hip-hop. In part I liked to know what they listened to and in part to keep up with current music. I once told them that the songs were about drugs and sex, and got embarrassed assent - they were surprised that I could discern the slang.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I was a teenager in the 1980’s

They took “Hotel California” due to the Lord being taken in vain in “Life In The Fast Lane”.

They also took all my Stones albums, just on general principal.

They did not appreciate my critique of their record collection, with me (rightfully) proclaiming Johnny Cash, Waylon, Willie, George Jones, Hank Sr. & Jr., as “drunks, druggies and adulterers.”

I reminded them about Chuck Berry’s and Merle Haggard’s prison terms.

I also mentioned Jerry Lee Lewis’s...well, just everything Jerry Lee had done to that point.

Mom was upset when I informed her that Nat King Cole was a pothead and Ray Charles has been a junkie (she truly didn’t know).

I told them that if my albums were quarantined in dad’s closet (due to content and the lifestyle of the artists), their albums needed to be in there, too.

I was fortunate neither of them listened to some of Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf lyrics...:eek:...I was able to keep those albums somehow.

I got the Stones albums back a couple of years later, and they were sold during the Great Mortgage Payment Guitar and Amp Collection Massacre of the 1990’s...I made two car payments with that money.

18. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I never had any taken away. There were some that were touch and go...

jd.jpg

cyclopean likes this.
  19. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oops duplicate

20. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

...Then you needed a louder stereo! :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.