Name 5 guitarists that most influenced your playing style

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Retrobob, May 14, 2020.

1. Poorman512

Poorman512 TDPRI Member

SRV
    EVH
    Clapton
    David Grissom
    Keith Richards

gwjensen, Fiesta Red and Archtop Bill like this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You totally forgot like 3 Joes. :)

3. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

BB King
    Chuck Berry
    Wes Montgomery
    George Benson
    Robert Cray
    (Not to mention several horn players)

gwjensen, Fiesta Red and Archtop Bill like this.
  4. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And who the heck are you to tell us that our influences haven't really influenced us? :cool:

After all, it's what you choose to do with that influence that makes you the player you are

Anyway, here's my list.

1. Brian Setzer - Seeing the Stray Cats on TV when I was a Tyke was my personal Beatles-at-Sullivan moment. These days I'm channeling his influence on my playing more and more in my Rockabilly tunes.

2. Stevie Ray Vaughan - When I was a teenager, discovering SRV opened a world for me, before discovering SRV, I was into Heavy Metal but found that my Squier Strat didn't quite cut it. So when the music of SRV entered my life, I at least already owned the right guitar.

3. Slash - It was a close one here, it was either going to be Slash or Gary Moore as I discovered the both of them around the same time and they both showed me that I could do rocking tunes WITHOUT having to sweep pick or two hand tapping techniques which I never quite nailed.

4. Vernon Reid - My life changed forever when I heard the "Time's up" album. I love how fearless Reid's playing is, that fast picking tremolo picking of his (Such as in the solo for "Cult of personality", I know, not a "Time's up" song but a good showcase of what he's capable of.) was something that I actually got the hang of pretty quickly. Through him I also discovered the Hillel era of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Adrian Belew.

5. Mark Knopfler - The sole reason why I wanted that Squier I named earlier to be a Red one. I love his take-you-on-journey way of playing, it seeps into my own songs, specifically the ballads.

Fiesta Red, tah1962 and Retrobob like this.
  5. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

Tony Iommi
    Matt Pike
    Jerry Cantrell
    Karl Sanders

Spot 5 is tough... Between Terrance Hobbs, Sammy Duet, Justin Hartwig, Dave Chandler, Russ Kent and Kim Thayil.

Even though they're not guitarists (and I'm not much of a bassist either) I have to mention Geezer Butler and Al Cisneros.

DLReed likes this.
  6. Retrobob

Retrobob Tele-Meister

Well, I should have made it 10.
    As I see all your choices,
    i think I may have stole a lick or two from some of them too.
    Clapton
    Page
    Gibbons
    Gilmore
    Blackmore
    :D

tah1962, Fiesta Red and Stratohacker like this.
  7. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

I agree.

Look, I can't stand lead guitarists. Hot dog time when they start to play. They serve np purpose in rock and roll. But I will say I do enjoy Gilmour for his tone. And he did do a fine job on the "Time" solo.

I watch Steve Jones on youtube. Funny guy but an even better guitarist. His sound is one of the best ever. Les Paul straight into a dimed Fender Twin. Pure rock. No pedals, no effects, no trickery (maybe some layering); just balls to the wall rock sound.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  8. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

I don't want to be Petty, but yes, I can be Lennon. That gear pictured below gets me there. It cost me a pretty penny, but if you want to be a Lennon or a Hendrix or a Clapton you have to spend the dough to get there.

Instant Lennon:

[​IMG]

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Man you need to chill out. Just because you don’t like to play leads, and only enjoyed one guitar solo in the last 65 years, and think that Eddie Van Halen and Nile Rodgers are the greatest rhythm guitar players since sliced bread, live in a fantasy world without telecasters, The Beatles, Dave Grohl, and Alicia Keys, and what’s next??? We’re all entitled to our own opinions and certainly don’t need someone harassing us over our posts. Go listen to The Beatles White album and have a drink or two. Life’s too short for this. It’s a guitar forum man.

Pixies2005, Sneaks and Fiesta Red like this.
  10. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

D. Boon
    Jimmy Page
    Jimi Hendrix
    Bob Mould
    Joe Pass

11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

For me, one of the 'holy grails' of rhythm tones is "I Want To Hold Your Hand". Very hard to reproduce.

12. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

I'm simply a guy on this Earth who has never heard anybody who said they were influenced by Hendrix actually play like Hendrix.

Can't be done, my friend.

Answer me this, you think being influenced by Michael Jordan will make you a Michael Jordan? Good luck to you if you believe it will.

13. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

My brother
    Jimi Hendrix
    Tony Rice
    Jerry Garcia
    Django Reinhardt

augustwest, Ian T, gwjensen and 3 others like this.
  14. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

Not really. Turn your tone down. Play on the neck pickup. It is a rather interesting tone. Strangely a bit muddy for a pop record. But it works.

15. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

What part of "influenced" are you having trouble with?

Wolfschmidt and Fiesta Red like this.
  16. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Ry Cooder
    Taj Mahal
    John Frusciante
    Bobby Weir
    Jonathan Wilson

I love a lot of others, but those are the guys for me.

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

there are a billion guitar players I have the utmost repect for , talent, originality, consistency in playing and I admire them all
    but none of them influenced my playing , I spent my youth triing to avoid playing or copying their styles , ( this was a blessing and a curse )
    in the search for my own niche

Fiesta Red likes this.
  18. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

Nah, it's got that horrendous Clapton lead on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

Hey, man, I am just pointing out that some of your influences are just beyond you. Should one really look to Shakespeare as an influence? Should a homely girl look to Sophia Loren or Scarlett Johansson as an influence?

Let's be grounded. We are what we are, we can never be Hendrix.

But you can be Petty or Lennon or Strummer. Guys who play guitar that fits the song. In other words, guys that make music.

19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

And several others too!

20. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Meister

The trouble stems from the fact that people believe they can be those that influence them.

How can one possibly cite Hendrix as an influence? I'll be honest - only a certified loon would think Hendrix can influence their playing. You want to dress like Hendrix, wear you hair like Hendrix...OK, he can influence you there. But guitar playing like Hendrix? As I said, only a loon would think that is possible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.