Nail nail NAILED it !

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Trust me on this....if you want a killer tele bridge pickup for rock and blues that can still twang when u lower the gain, run don't walk to Ryan's site and order a extra crispy ! I have tried a fender 62 custom, a bootstrap palo duro, a bootstrap pretzel, (which i returned in exchange for this ex crispy) and a van zandt true vintage in my baja 60s build and while the VZ was my fav so far, the extra crispy destroys them all, even the van zandt. It has it all and it's been a very long time since i installed a pickup where after a few notes i was thinking this IS IT. With a healthy amount of gain holding a note sustains then breaks into the higher harmonic like a great rock tone should. Rhythm tones which are even more important are just perfectly sweet. It has it all and when u roll the volume down to clean up (i use a treble bleed) it stays round and full unlike A5 that gets thinner. Rich harmonics are apparent both when playing solos or rhythm. And even tho it's round and full it still bites much like A5. This could be my fav tele bridge ever. I have a pretzel in the neck and they sound great combined too. I haven't been this happy with a pickup right from the first note in long long time. I now must go send back the pretzel bridge to Ryan after he sent the EX crispy in exchange WITHOUT asking me to return the prezel first. AND paid the shipping ! Forget fralin and all those guys....Bootstrap is the way to go ! U just need to find the right spec for your needs and guitar. But if rock and blues is your thing, just get this pickup. You will NOT be sorry. I may get a second for my other tele. Thanks Ryan !

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Trust me on this....if you want a killer tele bridge pickup for rock and blues that can still twang when u lower the gain, run don't walk to Ryan's site and order a extra crispy ! I have tried a fender 62 custom, a bootstrap palo duro, a bootstrap pretzel, (which i returned in exchange for this ex crispy) and a van zandt true vintage in my baja 60s build and while the VZ was my fav so far, the extra crispy destroys them all, even the van zandt. It has it all and it's been a very long time since i installed a pickup where after a few notes i was thinking this IS IT. With a healthy amount of gain holding a note sustains then breaks into the higher harmonic like a great rock tone should. Rhythm tones which are even more important are just perfectly sweet. It has it all and when u roll the volume down to clean up (i use a treble bleed) it stays round and full unlike A5 that gets thinner. Rich harmonics are apparent both when playing solos or rhythm. And even tho it's round and full it still bites much like A5. This could be my fav tele bridge ever. I have a pretzel in the neck and they sound great combined too. I haven't been this happy with a pickup right from the first note in long long time. I now must go send back the pretzel bridge to Ryan after he sent the EX crispy in exchange WITHOUT asking me to return the prezel first. AND paid the shipping ! Forget fralin and all those guys....Bootstrap is the way to go ! U just need to find the right spec for your needs and guitar. But if rock and blues is your thing, just get this pickup. You will NOT be sorry. I may get a second for my other tele. Thanks Ryan !

vanr

Tele-Afflicted
So is the Extra Crispy bridge pickup hotter than the Pretzel bridge pickup? I have asked this before but no one seemed to know.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
So is the Extra Crispy bridge pickup hotter than the Pretzel bridge pickup? I have asked this before but no one seemed to know.
Definately for me at least. It's not a huge amount, but the way i could tell is the EC would hit my modeling amp's input hard enough that i didn't need a boost for a couple of my favorite models where the pretzel didn't quite have enough to get it where i wanted. The specs might suggest different because if you do the math a 10k 43 AWG would be equal to a pickup with 42AWG wound to about 7.7k. But in reality the EC seemed slightly hotter. IMO they're both in the same ballpark as output goes, but the EC is just all around better to my ear...better sustain, better dynamics, richer harmonics, tighter bigger lows and better balance. But the biggest difference i can't really put my finger on other then to say the EC just sounds as tho my guitar's potential was released and just sounds "right".

I'm now really interested in trying the original recipe bridge too (also A3 42 AWG) because i have one tele thats really bright and i think the EC would work even better in that, and im my darker tele i think the original recipe might give me the same sound but with a bit less output and slightly more brightness. I've always found maple neck teles and strats seem to like hotter pickups and rosewood works better with lower output. On the other hand i love that guitar the RC is in so much right now i'm afraid to pull it out ! Anyways, to answer your question in a concise manner, the EC is hotter but not by a huge amount. And while i haven't experienced the original recipe yet, i'd say thats the one to get if you want the same sound but with more traditional output and a bit more top.

Last edited:

John_B

Tele-Meister
Yep, I keep shooting my mouth off about how good they are. Yesterday I put my spare EC in an ash sunburst. Now I have one in my alder and in my ash. I hear a bit more edge in the ash!

Attachments

• 100_1417.JPG
    100_1417.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1404.JPG
    100_1404.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 17