Nah, not in my yard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluego1, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Man, and people say dog's aren't capable of cognitive thinking! My old pal Toto demonstrated to me on many occasions that dogs do indeed think. Great video!

3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Good one !

brookdalebill, Fendereedo and Bluego1 like this.
  4. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Little guy woulda made it. Big dog is just grandstanding

FLHT, Dan R, Bones and 6 others like this.
  5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Our amazing Labrador Retriever would think about us. Our probably smarter Portuguese Mountain Biker (Water Dog) mostly thinks of herself, meat killing bunnies, and trail runs. The Lab who didn't exactly like a dog my mother had did see him as a pack member and rescued him from a larger dog attacking him. It was very interesting to see that.

Yes cognitive thinking but with current dog it's stuff like moving furniture for her convenience and taking advantage of forgetful teenage cooks in the kitchen. It's stuff like - you know, you can just jump on the table or counter but why not arrange a chair to make it easier.

We love dogs but wow does some extra cognition mean a so not for beginners dog.

Greggorios, Bluego1 and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Really something to see when their rescue/protect instincts kick in. I had a lab/chow mix that was sweet as the day is long until the day she thought another canine was closing me too aggressively and --bam-- she was nothing but fur and razor blades...the other didn't know what hit him, only that he was down, on his back with his throat exposed.

Bluego1 likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Last night our new dog Alex, well, he's been here almost thirteen months now, decided his bed wasn't in the right place. He grabbed ahold of it with his teeth and drug it about ten feet to a spot he liked better, climbed into it, and said, this is where I want my bed now. I booted him out of the bed, and took it back to where WE want it. He sulked. Alex is kind of a strange dog, it's not like he thinks of himself as a dog, he seems to think he's like a dog employee, and at the end of day, he clocks out, and he's on his own time.

8. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I remember a few years ago now, Tufnell (Golden Retriever) dropped his tennis ball down a ~10m steep bank into a stream. He picked his way slowly down the bank, searched around and found his ball and then stood out in the stream to show me.

I could then hear him try and find a way up the bank. This way and that way I heard him scrabbling, until I saw him emerge and look at me... without his ball! He tuned round, went back down the bank, and came straight back up the same way... with his ball!!

He must have left his ball at the foot of the bank while he found his way... knowing that was safer and better and that he could go back and get it. The cognitive ability and "IF-THEN" thought process that this involves is very, very impressive. Imagine how old a child would have to be to think in this forward/future pattern.

This doesn't stop him eating any old cr@p he comes across and being the most infuriatingly daft hound at times, tho'.

9. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

Wow, that ones a fast thinker eh?

Bluego1 likes this.
  10. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Cats too! Our cat loves cheese. We have a dinner party every Thursday Night. Our cat is a notorious beggar for cheese. We put the cheese out early to warm up. She used to start begging when she saw it hit the table. Over time, she has learned that the real indicator is when she sees the cheese knife go out. So now she doesn't bother to get off the couch till she sees that cheese knife, even though the cheese may have been out there for an hour or two by then.

stevemc, Bluego1 and Greggorios like this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow! Quite a video, thanks.

We have a 17 year old Maltese who is almost totally blind and deaf. For 17 years she's incredible despite her age and ailments. She still has a relatively happy and pain free life but occasionally will get confused, forget where things are in the house and get stuck behind a door or a piece of furniture. Enter new puppy, Kodi, now 8 months old. He's a very observant, smart little guy. Of course Kodi thinks she's "Mommy" and is in this world solely to entertain him and accommodate his "teething". He's "on her" all of the time while she patiently let's him play, up to a point.

Kodi must have watched me "free her" from behind a door, furniture, etc. The other morning while brushing my teeth he came into the bathroom and clearly was agitated about something. He ran in and out of the bathroom a couple times. Sure enough, I followed him to a bedroom where old Miss Muffet was stuck behind a chair. He looks up at me and wags his tail. Job done.

Watching these 2 interact is a real joy. The little guy clearly has breathed some new life into old Miss Muffet.
    :)

12. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Great story. And that last part is so true, too. I’ve got a very smart Lab; he’s almost a “tool user” and I think he really wants thumbs because he’s so good at holding things in his huge paws - but then he’ll do something dumb and dog-like to bring us back to reality.

Bluego1, Greggorios and stormsedge like this.
  13. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Not sure what I just saw, but I'll bet the big one ate the little one.

Chunkocaster, Bones and Bluego1 like this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Ours thinks he's on house arrest, always on a leash if he goes outside.

Neighbor's dog is on a perimeter shocker.

"must have been misbehaving at the shelter"

Toto'sDad and Bluego1 like this.
  15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ours did sort of the same thing with the couch. He drug us off somewhere else and then just took it over. We've been sulking for about a year.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nothing dragged by Harley. He just squeezes between my wife and me :confused:

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Oh and helluva scoop in that gif!

Bluego1 likes this.
  18. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Did he eat the small dog or did he rescue the small dog from getting hit?

Chunkocaster and Bluego1 like this.
  19. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking this was mom rescuing a pup.

Bluego1 likes this.
  20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Good dog!

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.