[NAD] ZT Lunchbox; small amp, big sound

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tidalcast, Aug 31, 2019.

1. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

4B235945-3B09-414E-ABB5-335A69A42114.jpeg Started jamming with my fiancée at her music school, and as much as I like my Peavey and Traynor amps, hauling them up and down three flights of stairs to play gets old(older building, no elevator). So I went out and found this ZT Lunchbox, and it sounds great on its own and even better through a 112 cab I have for gigs. Now I just need the thin patch cables to show up so I can wire the board up right and I’m golden. Tele on my back, board and cables in a briefcase, and amp in the other hand.

nojazzhere, sntsvt, RodeoTex and 3 others like this.
  2. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

That's tempting....but does it really stand against a drummer?

nojazzhere and tidalcast like this.
  3. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

Yup! I’d likely bring along a 112 cab for some sound reinforcement and bass response for a show, but this thing is a great clean platform and loud like whoa all on its own!

wulfenganck likes this.
  4. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Definitely hangs with a drummer. I brought mine to a jam once and the drummer couldn’t believe it. He loved that that thing! I mean, I had it cranked, and the tone cranked, but it sounded fantastic and was easily heard by everyone.

tidalcast likes this.
  5. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Depends on the drummer …

6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I think the main issue is sound distribution in a larger space, as the physical movement of air is limited. But in most normal spaces, these small amps work pretty well. I think you really do lose the deep bottom if that's part of your sound, but if you're looking at more midrange and treble sounds, these purpose-designed units -- which are not the dink/cheapie tiny amps of old -- are great. I'm glad they're catching on because the volume range within which they work is what I really like for simple, non-miked performances.

tidalcast likes this.
  7. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

I think you do lose a bit of the low end on just the built in speaker(though not as much as one might think, the amps are really well designed), but an extension cab fixes that real quick.

8. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

It is a lovely amp but if you have to bring an extension cab. it makes more sense to buy something like the Electro Harmonix 44 magnum for example to me.

On the other hand if it's enough on its own it's a big deal because of its portability.

Like other amps with small speaker that i've tried when you kick on some drive pedals i'm always disappointed with what i'm hearing.

I think that the perfect compromise is an amp with a 10" speaker, 6,5" are too small to me.

rickthescot likes this.
  9. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

My board sounds killer through it, including my boost and my Ultimate Drive. I’d have no problem rocking it on its own, but since I play in a duo, I want a little more air moving, hence bringing an extension cab for shows.

10. Thin white duke

The good thing about it is that you can have both the amp and the extension cab. working at the same time if i remember well, like the Dv Mark Little Jazz that i had.
    Not every amp can do that.

tidalcast likes this.
  11. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

A bonus I hadn’t even really considered, but a solid one.

This amp rocks. And I am really, really liking the clean sound on it.

12. Thin white duke

I play with two amps very often and by using the Zt plus a cab together you certainly will have a bigger sound, with a duo that i also have with just one guitar it's a good thing, especially when i don't play through the P.A.

tidalcast likes this.
  13. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

I do love running two amps in a duo(or just in general), though often when I’m doing that I’ll run completely different amps to really get a nice blend of sound. I’m going to have to play around with an external cab some more with this!

Thin white duke likes this.
  14. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

+1 on the Lunchbox! I use it for rehearsals with the drummer (lots of stairs involved) and bring it to all my shows as my backup whenever I play electric. It saved the day once when my deluxe Reverb blew a rectifier tube on the gig. I have heard that the new ZT Lunchbox with reverb is even better, but have not had the chance to play one yet.

tidalcast likes this.
  15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I have the Jr. which has been a great little practice and grab and go amp for a few years. Like it's big brother it is a great pedal platform and sounds good mic'ed up for recording also. These days I mostly have it hooked up to my turn table for listening to vinyl and it does that really well too!

16. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I've said many times that I love the lunchbox, and I hardly use anything else. I don't even hook it up to a cab. It's not perfect, especially for pristine cleans at high volume, but external eq can help with that. I also find that, while the lows are not bad at all, for a little speaker, they are still lacking somewhat. In a full band situation, this seems kinda OK -- not competing with the bass/lower frequencies.

tidalcast and middy like this.
  17. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

Sadly this amp had to get returned, as its noise floor when it got to live levels was just unusable. Tried it in multiple buildings, straight to the amp or with my board, nothing. Soon as it was loud enough to handle drums, it was too loud when idle. Returned it, went down the road to a friend’s store in Manchester, and walked out with a Blackstar HT-5(10 inch speaker version) for less than I had into the ZT. I think I’m going to be happy with this trade up.

18. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Does the HT-5 have as much volume?

19. Thin white duke

Sorry man, it's been a quick honeymoon, it happened to me many times, no big deal....;););)

tidalcast likes this.
  20. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

It doesn’t have quite as much volume, but it’s still plenty loud enough for me. And if I needed it louder, it has external speaker jacks.

Haha, I was so bummed. As I told my fiancée, the ZT really would have been an ideal solution, if not for that noise.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.