NAD: Yet another silverface Champ ('71)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by geetarfreek82, Jul 28, 2011.

1. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

I got this little beauty today in a trade along with some custom wound P90's (coming later for my '71 Gibson SG-200) in exchange for my Tele Deluxe RI.... I simply was not playing her much anymore. Anyway, she was very filthy and in dire need of a bit of tlc. It had been converted to tweed specs, which did not sound very good with this amp... It was very farty on the low end and way too distorted. I actually thought the speaker was blown, initially.

Soooo, I scrubbed the crap out of it and then took a peek in the chassis... There were 3 capacitors and 2 resistors that were lifted, and the tone controls were completely removed from the circuit. Using my pristine '78 Champ as a guide, I went about the task of putting her back to stock. Man what an improvement! All of the flab was gone and I got all of the clean headroom back (my favorite attribute of these amps). It sounds a bit warmer with a little less midrange than my '78 Champ, and it sounds amazing when I daisy chain the two Champs together. I'm a very happy man at the moment! :)

Here are the pics, starting with how dirty she was when I got her, and then post scrubbing alongside my other Champ...

Attached Files:

2. GuitarObsession

GuitarObsession Tele-Meister

Wow! She looks perfect! Nice work man! Enjoy that amp!

3. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Nice cleanup. I love daisy chaining these amps together. I do it with my Vibro-Champs, it really fills the room at a reasonable volume level. Congrats and have fun with the pair!

4. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

What is the proper proceedure to scrub the grill cloth without damaging it. I have a 64 bandmaster head cab that the cloth looks a little yellow-ish. I took it off once and sprayed it with a mild soap and rinsed it in the shower. It was a little cleaner, but not much. Yours looks great. What did you do?

5. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Nice, I am curious to know what you did too. I have tried to clean mt MMB amp. Wally always told me to use dish soap, and use the bubbles (foam) and a toothbrush, and scrub gently. It works, but sems to take forever...I am open to any ideas.

6. Laylas Daddy

Laylas Daddy Banned

Very Nice!!!

7. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Nice work!

8. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Looks great, nice little amps!

9. edgetone

edgetone TDPRI Member

Oxyclean works really well.

Attached Files:

10. geetarfreek82

I bought some stuff at a local dollar store (the Family Dollar) called Mean Green... It's very similar to Simple Green or CLR but is a bit less harsh. I drench the grill cloth with this stuff and then scrub it with a soft bristle scrub brush. Then I take it outside and spray it off with a hose that has a strong stream attachment. After it's clean, I pat it down with a towel and then dry it with the wife's hair dryer lol. My '78 Champ had some discoloration on the grill cloth as well, but ever since I cleaned it it looks like it was made yesterday.

For the tolex I put some dish liquid, windex and water in a bucket and use the scrub brush, dry it with a towel, and then finish with Fender Vinyl Cleaner and Protectant.

Here's the before and after pics of the '78....

Attached Files:

11. geetarfreek82

I actually messed up and touched the Fender logo when I had some Mean Green on my hands and the black paint came off... It bugged the crap out of me so I sprayed the whole thing with black paint (until the entire logo was black), then took a double sided sponge soaked with nail polish remover and gently rubbed the paint off of the top of the letters. I wiped it down with a cloth and the sprayed it with Nitro sanding sealer and again cleaned off the letters with the nail polish remover. It looks perfect, I'm so glad I was able to fix this mistake... That's what you get when you rush things!

12. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Geetarfreek82, thanks very much for the cleaning guidance. My '77 SF Champ could really use it.

13. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Great find. I actually had 3 vibro champs and 2 champs at one time. I had 3 of them going at once with a splitter from my guitar. 2 vibro champs on the end and the champ in the middle. Very ethereal sounding with the trems going.

My wife made me put shelves in the hall closet to store them in. I eventually ran out of room with my GAS purchases and rotated 4 of them out. Very addictive little amp.

I use spray carpet cleaner (actually my kirby vacuum has a spray foam attachment) spray it on let sit for a few minutes, rub gently with a damp cloth. I used a big grout sponge once and got little pieces in the cloth. Vacuumed off when it dried and it looked great. Nice and sparkly again.

14. geetarfreek82

Yeah, the real trick with this silver metal grill cloth is that after you clean it you HAVE TO make sure it's dry or it will start turning brown again with rust pretty quickly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.