NAD - Yamaha G50-112

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Loudog99, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

I’ve been browsing Facebook marketplace for an amp with great clean tones, reverb, and 12”. I only play at home, but have been thinking about looking for some local jams and need a suitable amp.

Found this Yamaha Fifty112 today and picked it up for $100! Seems like these get a lot of love on Jazz forums for their transparent cleans. It’s in great shape and no crackling, popping, etc. Excellent cleans and very useful EQ. Reverb sounds great as well.

I had read that the distortion channel was more of a fuzz tone, but that doesn’t seem to be working. The only thing that’s seemingly wrong with the amp. I put a Dano distortion in front of it set to provide slight overdrive/ breakup and it sounds awesome.

Looking forward to getting to know this bad boy. This is my first amp that has anything bigger than an 8” speaker. Seems huge to me and I likely won’t set the volume past 3 for home use.

96073F3B-1BA5-4128-99F6-38A9F750F77F.jpeg

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Congrats, nice amp. You’ll not want go back to amps with small speakers again.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like those!
    Congratulations!

codamedia and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This was my FIRST amp ( along with FIRST electric) I bought new in 1976!
    Took it to College, stolen ( along with guitar!) after College Band house Halloween Party gig in 1980.
    So a few years later, when I had the $$ ( newlyweds) I bought a used G-50 112 as my SECOND amp!
    ( LATER. I discovered Fender tube amps!)

Edit: I've always thought the amp looked so cool- think it would be neat to stick a tube amp Identical to say, the Vibrato channel of a Deluxe Reverb inside!

5. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I just finished writing this in another thread.... but it belongs here as well.

In my late teens (early 80's) I snuck into a club to watch a well known Canadian cover band named "Click". The guitar player nailed every tone of every song... from Rush to Journey, Sprinsteen to Zeppelin. I didn't see any amps so during the break I talked to the guitar player and learned he was using a Yamaha G100 2x12 which is just the bigger brother of your amp. As a Hiwatt user at the time, I was humbled!

Those are great sounding amps... enjoy!

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yamaha makes great stuff, for cheap.
    It’s very dependable, good sounding, and intuitive to use.
    You can often get it for almost nothin’ used.
    Lenny Breau played through the bigger version of your amp on his GIT clinic.

codamedia and JayFreddy like this.
  7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Those are great amps, a secret weapon on more than a few studios stuffed W/ high end gear. At the time they came out they were aimed a pro players, in fact IIRC Tommy Tedsico used one of that series W/ the Wrecking Crew. I worked on a shop at the time, no one came in looking for a “ tube amp” in fact we often took old tweeds ( usually painted black) in trade on new SS stuff, this is when there were local gigs every night of the week and people wanted reliable and loud, and most players knew how to get “their sound” out of any quality amp. Some amp lines had tubes, some were SS and some were hybrids none were cheap and we sold everything, we put on the floor.

tidalcast and codamedia like this.
  8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I got a G50 112 ii last year super cheap. It was nasty, abused, and chopped down to a head. Not quite the same amp as you because it has a parametric eq but I cleaned it up and is a very good sounding amp. The overdrive/distortion isn't something I'd ever use regularly, but clean with my Vox Tonelab is really great. I use as a backup to tube amp at gigs.
    Have a good time with it, an hang on to it.

20180910_195949.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    JayFreddy likes this.
  9. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

Thanks all. I played around with it some more last night. Definitely a steal for $100 and in terms of filling my need for a “real” amp with great clean tone and reverb. The reverb is a bit noisy if I tap the cabinet when it’s above 4-5. Assume that’s normal since there are literal springs inside the tank?

Gonna put my Zoom G1ON through it tonight to see how it sounds with a bit of compression and several overdrive patches. Should be a nice clean platform for that. I’m also curious to hear my Joyo American Sound through it.

tidalcast likes this.
  10. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Those are good little amps. SCROE !

RedRock likes this.
  11. grant53

grant53 TDPRI Member

When I saw Les Paul at Iridium, his guitar player Lou Pallo was using one of those (Les Had a Tech 21).

RedRock likes this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How heavy is it? I seem to recall they were kinda like the Tardis - like they had more mass than seemed possible for the size . . .

13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

They had two bass combos in that range one was a 1x15 w/ a folded horn that was roughly the size of a V4b cab, a beast of a combo, of course my H.S. bought one to replace a Ampeg B-15 that some one "borrowed" & blew the tranny out of. Why they didn't get the '15 fixed >.< ( it was stil in production) the 1x12 is a lift, but no worse than a PV Bandit.

14. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

It’s pretty hefty, I would venture to guess 30-35 lbs.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh. That's not bad.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Yamaha G50 1-12 many years ago, it was pretty light as I recall. Good clean tones and very nice reverb. They made GII and GIII versions, all are great amps that sound good.

RedRock likes this.
  17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Good choice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.