NAD - Yamaha G100 210 II

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SheldonP, Sep 16, 2021.

1. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

I need another amp like I need another hole in my head, but I couldn't resist. A guy I know is moving and clearing out gear he won't have room for anymore. Picked this little gem up for $125. It's a little rough around the edges cosmetically, but not beat up by any means. The pots are a bit scratchy and it needs cleaning up inside and out. I'll yank the chassis in the next couple of days and give it the once over.

G100 210 back (2).jpg

G100 210 back (1).jpg

My brother had the 4X10 version of this amp many moons ago and I remember really liking the sound, but hating the weight. This little gem weighs about 30 lbs and sounds even better than I remember. Super nice reverb and the master volume channel doesn't get into the "swarm of angry bees" tone until it's almost dimed. I think it's going to live in my rehearsal room.

2. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

You did good. Vintage Yami SS's are wonderful.

PhredE, Mowgli and SheldonP like this.
  3. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Afflicted

Wow, with the original speakers!

I bought the 2x12 version and an Echoplex for $100. Catch was they had both been partially submerged in storm surge waters. The speakers didn't survive the water but the amp did. I liked the amp enough to buy a head version of the G100ii also. I'm not a user of the "drive" channel per se, but I am absolutely a user of the built-in parametric EQ. It's why I don't mind having the head + the chassis from the 212 version hanging around, I figure if it ever comes down to it, I'll be able to cobble together one working center-detent pot for the EQ circuit out of the 2 I have.

4. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

Yeah, I generally use pedals for distortion, but it does get a really nice semi-broken up “clean” tone. I totally concur that para EQ works great.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    PhredE and W.L.Weller like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good stuff, congratulations!

SheldonP likes this.
  6. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

+1 on Yamaha making some really nice speakers. I bet it sounds great.

SheldonP likes this.
  7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I had a small 30 watt 1-12 version of that amp years ago, it sounded great , they are great sounding amps period, much less for being SS. Not too keen on the OD channel but pedals sound great through the clean channel

PhredE likes this.
  8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats.

SheldonP likes this.
  9. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I can't remember if mine was a 210 or 212 but I agree about the weight. I got it free because it wouldn't switch on after being stored for a while and the owner was going to put it in a skip (dumpster). Five minutes to clean a corroded fuse holder and it lived! You could get some great sounds out of it with a bit of tweaking.
    Sold it for £80.00 in 2013 because I was moving long distance to a small apartment.

SheldonP likes this.
  10. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

I gig with a G50II on tilt back legs. Just a killer,loud,high headroom clean tone [more fendery than a JC-120] and the long pan accutroncs reverb sounds as good as a Twin. I put a Jensen N12K in it and its still a HEAVY combo!
    Also just bought a G100II head for 70 euros as the pots were scratchy and only one input jack works. DEAL!
    Did Yamaha ever make II series 2x12 or 2x10 cabinets? I've only seen 4x12's.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    PhredE, Mowgli and SheldonP like this.
  11. czech-one-2

Oh, while I'm here I might as well ask. The only problem with my G100II head is the low input jack doesn't work, only the high. I took a look at it and the pcb that the jacks are mounted to is a wreck. Looks to have been repaired a couple times by a solder monkey.The rest of the amp is mint and untouched. I want to use 2x switchcraft jacks but cant quite figure out how to get them both to work. Its still the 'high' jack that works and no low. Any ideas how to accomplish this? Do I need one mono and one stereo switchcraft jack? Shorting jacks? I'm puzzled and unfortunately I need a wiring diagram...
    Here's the schematic with the input pcb board [JK Board] wiring:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  12. Fred Perez

Fred Perez TDPRI Member

I am waiting for a G100-115 ii, they send it to me from another city, very cheap and in a more than acceptable condition for the price paid.

SheldonP and czech-one-2 like this.
  13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

OP: congrats on a cool find!

I really regret, and regret again, passing up a G50-I 1 x 12 combo I had a shot at several years ago. I loved its clean sound, and its distortion was weird enough to be fun for something. Not quite overdrive, not quite fuzz...sort of thin snarly garage rock dirt...?

I ended up getting a Peavey Special 150, and I like its clean sound too but its distortion channel sounds like somebody undersampled the entire hair metal genre at an 8-bit resolution.

SheldonP, czech-one-2 and PhredE like this.
  14. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Used to have the G100-112 long ago.. I miss it :(

SheldonP likes this.
  15. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Holic

My buddy has had a GA50112 for years. Great amps. That got me into looking for used cheap Yamahas. Mainly for band practice space amps. I use pedals as well for my dirt anyway.

I recently got a 1982 Yamaha JX series JX55 in cool brown tolex. Works great.

And found my son, who at 20, is already an amazing guitarist, a mid 80's era VX Series VX25 for $20 all beat up. Cleaned it up, got rid of the cheesy black plastic corners and replaced with chrome. Looks and sounds great for his small bedroom!

SheldonP likes this.
  16. Mowgli

Mowgli Tele-Meister

Felt fortunate to stumble across and snagged for $115 & $80 each two (2) great sounding G50 mkii, each with their original speakers (which sound great for clean jazz, country, pop, rock). GREAT AMPS for clean tones.

One comment - I can't help but wonder if Paul Rivera makes one of, if not the, best sounding spring reverbs ever. I have played Rivera amps and their reverbs were great. The Rivera-era Fenders have great reverb. And these Yamaha G50 & G100 mkii amps have great reverb. Coincidence???

SheldonP, czech-one-2 and PhredE like this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

My first 2 guitar amps...

( new in 1976 and maybe 1982? #1 was stolen in '80, College...)

...were Yamaha G50-112's similar to this one
    I think they sounded pretty good then, but that was 40+ years ago, can't really remember.

Would not mind trying one out ( stock, in Good condition) today, and listen-
    download (1).jpeg

SheldonP likes this.
  18. czech-one-2

I've owned many solid state amps over the years, Peavey,Roland, Randall, Yamaha. I gotts say, the spring reverb on the old Yamaha's and Randall's are as good as any onboard spring I've ever heard. Just deep and almost surfy levels of spring with very little hum, unlike my MusicMan spring reverbs.

Mowgli and SheldonP like this.
  19. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Holic

I've got the same amp! I use it with just a hint of the drive turned on. Think Roy Buchanan playing Lonesome Fugitive.

SheldonP and Chiogtr4x like this.
  20. johnb

johnb Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.