1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: would you send this PRRI back?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JamesAM, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

How much should an amp cost before a large smear of adhesive gets caught by QC?

SRHmusic likes this.
  2. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

We all have different perspectives on things.
    For me, musical equipment is merely a means to an end - making music. I don't allow myself to get hung up about cosmetics in any way, as I am looking for the right mojo in everything I buy. I have a forest green Strat that I hate the look of - I hate the color green - but it is the single best Strat I have ever encountered in my life, so I don't care. Things are only worth what you think they are worth.

RomanS likes this.
  3. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I just don't care about such things. Plus, I am very much a do-it-yourself kind of guy, most everything I own has been modified to suit me if I see fit, so if the glue bothered me, I'd remove it. Plus, like most, I didn't see anything in those pics to begin with.

RomanS and Mexitele Blues like this.
  4. Mexitele Blues

I agree, if you know how to take care of something like this, it's not a huge deal.

If I were buying new, a small QC issue like this wouldn't phase me a bit. I might even be able to negotiate a small discount. But if I were selling new, you bet I'd want to catch it before some dad rocker like myself asks for a discount.

But, things like this make me wonder what else slips out the factory door.

JamesAM, SRHmusic and Wally like this.
  5. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

A strat that isn’t your preferred color is not the same as sloppy workmanship on a brand new $1000 product right off the line. It’s also not the same as buying a used amp where the expectation is that it’s been roughed up a bit. My vox has dings all in the tolex and it’s missing some rear panel screws. I’m cool with that- the expectation was that it was used and wouldn’t be perfect.

Glad you’re cool with the glue, and thanks for your perspective. If I was building cabs, I wouldn’t have let that out of my shop, especially because it’s as easy as wiping it off with some solvent (or just putting glue on the right way in the first place) before sending it out.

with all that said, I’m also mindful of the current state of the planet, and understand that folks who take a big risk to go into a factory to work at the moment might have other things on their mind. That’s one of the reasons why I asked the question, which I probably should have made explicit in my first post.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Boreas likes this.
  6. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

So virtuous and above us mooks that understand musical equipment is for making music AND want to make sure we make sound decisions on the purchase and sale of gear. Hint: those are not mutually exclusive.
    If its just about the TOOANNZZZ, i have a great sounding amp to sell you for 100K, since it doesn't matter to you and it's just about the music.

JamesAM likes this.
  7. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

You know, it's not like the handle was mounted on the side or the grille was upside down or anything. That level of concern for QC for a mass-produced product seems very excessive to me. How many PRRIs are produced by Fender in a year? And one has a mostly imperceptible glue smear? I'd call that overwhelming success, to be honest.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  8. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

This was my main worry- if some glue that’s super easy to remedy got past qc, what’s to stop a bad ribbon connector or cold joint from getting past too. Luckily it’s all fine and I probably held the amp to a higher standard than I should have- If I was sourcing a cab myself to build a Princeton (which was what I initially wanted to do but don’t have the time) I might have been more inclined to send that one back to mojotone or whoever (edit: I was going to say Mather but Mather never would have let rogue glue out the door).

anyway, it’s all good for now.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  9. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I understand that the overwhelming majority of dudes on guitar boards are dad rockers who are in it for very different reasons, most of which have nothing to do with music. That's fine, to each his own. Sorry to have caused your panties to bunch up.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  10. Mexitele Blues

Having worked in QC for a furniture manufacturer, it's my experience that most consumers' expectations rise with price, regardless of production numbers. With as many PRRIs as Fender has built, I imagine they have the process ironed out pretty well and this is not representative of the norm, but rather a simple human error.

11. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Yep. Got my 5e3 for $500. I had to rebuild it due to buzzing from a sloppy board and sub-optimal ground scheme. I didn’t complain or question it because it was what it was: a used amp that I got for a bargain from a mystery builder. Plus it was fun to work on.

If it was a 57 deluxe I bought off the line, whose custom shop premium fender charges $2 grand for, it would have been a different story.

Maybe I should have had different expectations going in, but it’s all good.

12. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

In an objective sense, OP is not wrong. It's his cash, gear, and requirements. I might also want perfection after paying retail for a new Fender RI amp.

But I don't think I've owned any tolex that's truly clean, certainly not after a couple years, and my amps only travel to jams a few times a year. Even if mine didn't leave the house, I'd probably expect some shrinkage, a millimeter or two of adhesive exposed along the seams, etc., after some time. Basically, I think silly to apply furniture standards to a guitar amp.

13. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Is that a hand wired Vox?

JamesAM likes this.
  14. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

It is.

15. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Had the same on my blues junior, one corner the tolex was tiles upthree inches along the seam put it down to a Monday morning amp, it affected nothing so I lived with it

16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I bought my Super Champ X2 from Sweetwater where it was a demo because of some Tolex glue schmutz. Eight years later I got curious about it and found it to be water-based cement that I wiped off with a damp rag.

17. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

I’ve got tears and scars on every amp I own. So I am not qualified to opine.

I would live with it.

18. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

I'm still not understanding, help me out. REAL musicians like yourself are okay overpaying for gear? Another hint: condition has to do with value (what you pay or charge), even if the TOAAANZZZ for you REAL musicians are there in a given piece of gear. I'm starting to see why REAL musicians are often living on their girlfriend's couch, lol.

19. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

And btw, in the OPs situation, i would probably just keep it as i am not very meticulous and would consider that minor enough not to affect value, but it's not my money.
    Just trying to point out the stupidity of not considering price/value/resale when dealing with gear. If OP noticed, a potential buyer might too, and if you can get a perfect example for the same price and it's worth the hassle, taking that into consideration and making a good economic choice doesn't mean you aren't about the music. That has always been an idiotic straw man.

JamesAM likes this.
  20. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Should you return it, I'm afraid you will likely find its replacement having a more bothersome flaw. Sit a beer on it, play it, enjoy it, scratch it!

JamesAM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.