NAD Winfield Custom Head

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Strato50, May 19, 2020.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Did some trading with Mr Thomas. He put this together in a Typhoon 2 chassis and cab. It’s pretty unique. Has a EZ81 Rectifier tube. Two 6cm6 power tubes. I’m running a NOS Jan 5751 in V1 and a 12AX7 for a PI. The little 6cm6’s sound like 6V6s. I’d never heard of them. It’s a killer amp very well made and Winnie is such a cool guy. I’ve wanted to try one of his amps for a long time. This is a real treat. It’s got that Blackface tone going on. The breakup is nice to... it roars! I’m running it with an Avatar 212 with a Hellatone speakers. Sounds huge. Out live I would use a 112 cab with a ET65 or single vintage 30. Thanks again Winnie for the great amp more to come on it.

Attached Files:

2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm sure you know, with the dwindling supply of NOS standard tubes usually found in our favorite amps, a growing number of amp builders are designing amps around tubes that were not typically used in guitar amplifiers. THOSE tubes are still around and easier to find and therefore cheaper. Otis is an amp builder that uses other tubes than the standard EL84, 6V6, 6L6 or EL34 power tubes. The tube layout for his amps is a pair of 6CZ5’s, 6SL7’s and a 5Y3 rectifier tube.

Congrats on your NAD!

Strato50 likes this.
  3. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Glad you like it. A 6CM6 is esentially a 6V6 in a 9 pin bottle. They are still plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

The Tele should arrive today.

MickM likes this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Cool! Winfield has been on my list of amps to try. They seem like a great value.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.