1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD well last week 1968 Fender Drip Edge Silverface Bassman

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rcboals, Apr 10, 2021.

1. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

I never had a bassman in my 71 years of existance. So, I have to find out what is so great about a no frills 50 watt straight up Fender amp. After a week I am finding out it is a sweet amp, loves pedals and is way way way loud if needed. The story on this is, I bought it from Billy O's Dynamite music in Indiana. He said a personal friend of his owned and decided to black face cosmetic up and put it in a 1x12 combo. First thought was I'll pass as I have bought amps that were mucked with in a very amateur way, and ended up being an unpleasant purchase. After speaking with Billy the owner and being assured the amp was in excellent shape and a small simple mod to boost the mids on the normal channel was done by Danny Nashkoff. So, I bought it with the included JD Newell blond 112 blond cab and the new black face plate. I also got the original head cab and the original silver face plate as well. Fired it up and it played and sounded very good. I did need to replace a couple microphonic 12AX7. Oppened it up and it appears it is all stock no new obvious parts that I could see. So, I don't know what the small mod entailed and I don't care it sounds great. All the transformers are dated code 1967 so this one was an early 68 and I think before CBS did whatever changes to the 68 amps they did. Any way so far so good. I don't think I could go wrong with this one. My RCB Twangmaster V The Barn Burner Tele really like this bassman amp as do my other guitars as well. :) Speaker is a 4 Ohm Jensen C12K 100 Watt yes, it sounds like a Fender amp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

A beautiful amp and the blue caps seem to all be there. This must be an early ‘68 with the original BF circuit.

The filter caps look original, I would have them replaced, check bias, and play the thing.

I also love the look of the combo. Nice find and congratulations.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    radiocaster and AlbertaGriff like this.
  3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Looks great!

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Modded, but not serviced, so that's fun :D

Get it serviced and you'll be good for another 20 years without having to worry about it.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Nice!
    I did the same thing to a SF Bassman once except it was a 1 x 15 Newell blonde cab with a D130. Helluva an amp!

-I'd get those filter caps replaced real soon.
    -Check those 470 ohm resistors on the power tube sockets. I've replaced those on 3 Bassman's over the years , they tend to fail. I use 2 watt metal Oxide there.
    -That looks clean and yes early circuit.

6. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

In my old age I am becoming more in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp. :) This thing sounds great, it is quiet at idle and working just the way it should. I'm just going to play the heck out of it.

7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Normally I'd agree, but "working" doesn't mean "will work tomorrow" and also means "could take out a part that actually has value when something goes wrong." You're welcome to do what you like, of course.

ce24 and radiocaster like this.
  8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

The only time I've seen a filter cap blow up was in a late '67 Bassman. I was trying it out before buying. Poof - a big cloud of white smoke and all of a sudden I'm worried about transformers. Luckily neither of them blew, but it was a more costly tech bill than if I'd had the caps replaced prior to one bursting.

But it's your amp! Enjoy!

Torren61 likes this.
  9. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

That had to be a thrill a poof and white smoke would have made jump. Lucky it happened when just trying it out. :) Looking mine over magnifying glass for bad or cracked solder joints and the famous tried and true chopstick tap tap thump test. There are no weird noises or any signs of leakage or rupture on any of the caps or transformers. These old bassman amps are in great supply kind of like StanleyTools Hand planes. Fender made enough of them to supply any guitar player that wants one. If patient you can pick them up depending on condition for anywhere from $400.00 to $1,000. I figure why spend $250.00 + or - to prevent a problem when there is no sign of having one. If she blows, not a great financial loss. Probably worth more in salvage vintage working parts. We are so fortunate now to be able to purchase great sounding modern amps for well under $1500.00. I think the market for these "vintage" amps is for a dying breed of buyer like me. The main draw for people like me is the nostalgia factor and reliving my youth. :) My body will soon be 72 years old in June but a good portion of my brain is still only 14 years old. :) Rock and Roll Today, Stay Young Forever

W.L.Weller and RodeoTex like this.
  10. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That looks great!

I put a 60s Bassman into a 2x10" cab 20 or so years ago. I still have it and it sounds really good (and always works ;)).

SF_bassman1.png

11. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dbl post.

12. AlbertaGriff

Yeah the amp sounded awesome before the puff of smoke.

Like I said, it's your amp... but let me just ask, if you bought a 1968 Telecaster with original strings, would you change those?

13. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Replacing the filter caps doesn't affect the tone and is always a great idea on a vintage amp. It's an industry standard thing because of the damage that can occur if they fail and being that old, they are likely to fail. It should cost less than $250 to have a tech do the work and, if you know how to bleed off the stored voltage and you know how to solder, you can replace those yourself and the total cost should be less that $75 and take about a half hour. Not replacing those caps is consider risky and foolish by people much smarter than me. :D

14. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Not really a fair comparison A 68 tele in good shape would be at a minimum $5000 up to $10,000 not $500.00 to $1,000 There are so many "vintage" Bassman amps around to be had. Like Will Rogers said, "no matter what they are saying they are talking about money." Not enough money involved here or any real shortage of 60's bassman amps.

15. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Right behind you sir! Turned 66 last week! Still a teenager at heart!
    My $.02,
    Gene

rcboals likes this.
  16. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Good advice and comment Thank you. If or when I do need to replace the caps I will do it myself. Isn't youtube great? From the videos I have watched it is a very simple precedure, if you can solder well. :) I have done a ton of guitar wiring mods including custom harnesses, and lots of soldering over the last twenty years. Nothing to speak of with amp work except replacing a tube socket and adding a three prong cord. It's amazing how much better you get at soldering with practice. :) Draining the caps is a no-brainer and super easy to do especially on these old Fender amps and it is a smart simple safe thing to do. I have been playing this amp non-stop for over a week with my guitar and running my IPOD through it for hours. I will keep my ears open for any weird goofy sounds. My reluctance to just jump in and replace the old caps with new is that everything looks and sounds so good, no leaking or discolorations, no weird snap crackle pops, egg or bacon frying noise. And just the fact that Danny Ashkoff is a very reputable builder and amp tech who went over it and did a minor mod for mids on the normal channel for the prior owner. I can't see what he did inside for the mod so it must have been real simple. I have owned several old 50's 60's amps in my day and the guts of this one is the clean of clean. If it were a classic car its condition would be considered concourse class.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

having it serviced and replacing caps now

You are right and I am wrong doing all that now

getting it serviced now you are right I was wrong

GUESS I AM NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN :) TAKING YOUR ADVICE AND GETTING IT SERVICED

You are right I am getting it serviced and done

Yes it is my amp and after all the advice from people like you that have been there done that. I am taking your and their good sensible advice. Thank you for not saying something like "don't be an old fool" :) It is in the shop being serviced now new caps etc.

You and everone else is right and I am wrong in my thinking. It is in the shop now getting anything it needs. THANK YOU FOR YOUR GOOD ADVICE

AlbertaGriff, Torren61 and corliss1 like this.
  18. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

YOU CAN STILL TEACH AN OLD DOG. :oops: :confused: Thanks to everytone who commented with advice on service and taking care of this amp properly. After thinking it over and realizing my thinking was wrong. I am getting it taken care of should have it back next week.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    AlbertaGriff and Torren61 like this.
  19. AlbertaGriff

Great!

As my amp tech would say "You'll have a brand new old amp". It will last for years!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.