1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD Vox Night Train 15C1-CL

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by xland, Sep 12, 2015.

1. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Let me start with a little background. I normally play through my Super Champ x2 and use the clean channel w/Boss BD-2 or the Deluxe Reverb and Vox models. I found that I was spending more and more time using the Vox clean and crunch settings that I made with the Fuse software. I was really liking them a lot.

So I have been spending time over the last couple of weeks researching the Vox AC10 and Vox Night Train amps. I was able to play through a AC10 at a local guitar shop and I just loved the way it sounded. But that being said I was not making any definite plans to buy anything in the near future, I was just kicking the tires on a few options.

Well, I came across a used Vox Night Train 15C1-CL (Limited Edition) in "Excellent Condition" for 50% off the retail price on GCs website. This was too good of a deal for me to pass up. I'm pretty sure that it was priced incorrectly because it was priced the same as a used "regular" NT15C1 combo in "Great Condition" and their price difference when new is $200. But from what I can gather, the only real difference is the classic look of the limited edition.

Anyway, so here we are, it arrived and when I took it out of the box it was in pristine shape, not a scratch or even a smudge on it. It's in perfect condition, it's like I had taken out of the original box for the very first time.

So how does it sound? Well, absolutely beautiful clear and crisp cleans and loads of glorious classic rock crunch, pure Vox goodness. It comes with a 12" Celestion Greenback which is perfect for this amp, the same speaker as the AC15. Lots of tone options with the EQ, 2-channels, the Thick switch (bypasses EQ and adds gain) and the Dark switch (tames high frequencies).

I found that I prefer the Bright channel with the Dark switch engaged and I was able to dial up a tone that made my Blacktop Tele sound like I had always hoped it would sound. It has never sounded nearly as good through any of my other amps as it does through the NT. Then I plugged in my Epiphone JB Goldtop and as I strummed the guitar for the first time I think that I heard angels sing. Just amazing!! And my Strat just eats it up.

I know that I am still in the Honeymoon stage but I am really thrilled with how it sounds. It's my first "real" tube amp and I couldn't be happier and I feel like I got a great deal on it as well.

Attached Files:

2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

HNuAD!

Voxes do have their own thing going. I have two Lil' Night Trains, one is my first amp and an AC15C1. They've been tweaked to my liking, tubes, speakers, etc... I'm lovin' them.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have one of the original chrome Night Train heads.

Your amp looks fantastic. Looks great. Should be able to do anything. Sounds like you got a great deal. Congratulations!

4. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Thanks!! I spent another 90 minutes again tonight just noodling through it with my Strat and LP and it sounded great. Not that I need any additional reasons to pick up the guitar but this amp inspires me to play, I'm really enjoying it.

5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good looking amp. I still want a 'Lil Night Train amp.

Congrats and enjoy.

6. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I'm looking at this amp as well. My local GC has the black night train combo on sale for $399. I was looking at the AC10 or AC4-12.

The NT can cop a traditional Vox clean tone?

7. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on an AMAZING amp! I have one and I've been in love with it ever since it came home! I have and have had a lot of good gear to play around with, but once I bought this one, I pretty much stopped looking around for different amp options.

Keep playing and I hope you like yours as much as I like mine!

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Looks great, the classic Vox look is nice, congrats! I played a black model and could see it working for my small gig needs, I am a fan of the brand. Congrats!!

9. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I tried the Nt15 @ GC. Was not for me.

10. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Looks like the G2 circuit. Very versatile.

I have the head and I like using different cabinets with it as needs or taste dictate. It should cover lots of territory from Fendery cleans to raunchy RnR. The high gain guys may not like it too much.

-tINY

11. ambar_de_kotu

ambar_de_kotu Tele-Meister

HNAD!!! Voxes are great. I just purchased an AC10C1 and I cannot stop playing. What an amp!!

12. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm a bit of an Alnico Blue (Dog/Pup) fan with my Vox Amps Lil' Night Train NT2H and AC15C1). The Night Train G2 Series is supposed to go from the jangly clean to pretty high gain levels. With the new TONECVLT Series Speakers from Weber, a new tonal possibility could be coming. Reading through the already existing Grey Wolf might be a really good choice to go with the Night Train amps, for clean or high gain. If not the Grey Wolf, the Silver Wolf, with it's warmer/darker tone, might be the speaker for great versatility.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.