NAD Vox MV50

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cntry666, May 9, 2017.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

So I've been waiting for this to come out, need a good practice amp for rehearsal and hated lugging my Ampeg Reverberocket head and cab. Well I don't even know where to start. Playing in a punk rock trio I need an amp that can fill a lot of space.
    I plugged it in at home and was very loud. Could it keep up with a drummer? Um yeah! My drummer hits hard and plugged into a 2x12 it kept up. Deep switch feature was nice. Wasn't too fuzzy. I like a Billy Gibbons kind of tone. It's not a metal like tone, fairly smooth and vintage. So while I'll never give up all my tube amps this was a good buy at $199. It's definitely not a toy.

IMG_0181.JPG

2. Rob TeleMan

Rob TeleMan Tele-Meister

I'm curious to know the dimensions of the amp, including to the top of the carry handle.

3. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I bet the handle would unscrew from the inside very easily. After that I bet one of these would fit in a guitar case...

4. Rob TeleMan

Rob TeleMan Tele-Meister

I'm interested in the Clean version, but would definitely want to remove that handle. Anyone tried yet?

bparnell57 likes this.
  5. Rob TeleMan

Rob TeleMan Tele-Meister

I have a question, too, for the OP: is the adaptor plug from the transformer a right angle plug?

LGOberean likes this.
  6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Glad to see this thread. I've been curious about this one. I've got amps for home/practice covered, but I'd really be interested in gigging with it. Is this just a rehearsal space amp for you, or do you see gigging with it?

Oh, and though you spoke of never giving up your tube amps, technically you haven't even with this. It's a hybrid, and a different type of tube, but I think that qualifies.

According to the specs on the page for this on the Vox site...

Dimensions (W x D x H): 135mm x 100mm x 75mm/5.31” x 3.94” x 2.95”

7. Rob TeleMan

Rob TeleMan Tele-Meister

I have to assume that the height of 2.95" must not include the handle.

8. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Nope - includes the handle :)

Played one today (the AC version) for about half an hour at the local GC. Closest cab was a Peavey VK 4x12, so that's what I plugged into :/

Damn! :eek:

This little thing is KILLER, and all Vox tone. From the Voxy, jangly cleans to the Voxy grind, there is nothing bad about it. The tone control has a wide sweep, and the amp cleans up nicely on higher gains with the guitar volume.

I WILL be picking one up very soon.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

10. LGOberean

Good to hear. That's the model I'm most interested in, although the Clean might be nice to have, too. I wouldn't have much use for the Rock version.

cbh5150 and BrianF like this.
  11. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

I may have to acquire them all ;) - The demos of the clean version sound great, too, and the ones I've heard on the rock version lean toward Marshall, but the gain is not over-the-top.

Seriously, Vox is gonna sell a manure-load of these things.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

Yeah, I could easily see me buying both the AC and the Clean. When I said I wouldn't have much use for the Rock version, I didn't mean that vids of it sounded bad to my ears, but just that I would never play that style at a gig, so it wouldn't be a worthwhile investment for me. It might be fun to have at home when I'm in a mood to play "drive the pets from the room" music. But I don't think I'd spend 200 bucks for strictly home use.

I do not currently have a speaker cab; currently, all my amps are combos. So I'd be looking at adding a cab to the package. And while that 1x8" Vox cab (BC108) looks cute and sounds good in demo vids, I would want a 1x12" cab to run into. But it seems that the Vox BC112 cab is unavailable. Sweetwater, GC/MF don't have it. I've found a couple of lesser known (to me?) online sources that have just 1 left in stock. Does anybody know what's up with this?

And I hope you're right and that these MV50s do sell well.

cbh5150 likes this.
  13. LGOberean

I have a question. The rear panel of the Clean model shows a 3-position switch labeled "Attenuator," with the three positions being further labeled "Full," "1/10" and "1/100." I assume that means 50 watts, 5 watts and half a watt. On the other hand, on the rear panel of the AC model and the Rock model, the switch in the same position reads "Impedance," with each position labeled "4", "8" and "16." So are we talking about two different functions on the rear panels of these respective models? Is the Clean an attenuator but on the AC and Rock models a switch for impedance matching? Or does the switch on these two models also serve as an attenuator?

Attached Files:

14. jonny munksville

jonny munksville Tele-Meister

I'm really excited about these:

• valve front end/pseudo power amp with a class D clean output

• single channel design.

• demos sound great

Concerns:

• I want clean headroom - but apparently I'll need a 4ohm cab for that. It seems 4ohm cabs are rare.

• they should've left off the level meter and given us some more controls

I wonder - in the absence of a combo version, is the Vox AV series essentially the same circuit but with full-size valve and class A/B power amp? Does it essentially sound the same?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.