1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NAD: Vox MV 50 clean

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by skerwo, Mar 28, 2019.

1. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Yesterday I got this used Vox MV 50 clean amplifier. It´s really tiny, also on top of my tiny 1x10 cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But this little thing sounds huge! I´m very satisfied. It delivers real good clean sounds somewhere between Fender and Vox. The highs are more voxy to my ears. Volume past 12 o´clock gives a nice compression and with humbuckers you´ll get the first grid to the sound, but all the way it stays clean very long, especially with singlecoils. The tone stack is very effectiv, with my hss t-caster I´m around the middle positions of treble and bass, maybe treble a little bit more for the sparkling tone. The flat-deep-switch on the backside works very well, use it for lower volumes and turn it off with higher volumes or turn down the bass knob. To my ears it´s really noticeable.

The MV 50 loves my pedalboard. I´m using a clone of the Analogman KoT and some delay, perfect match. When needed the amp is really loud. In my 1x10 cab works an eminence ramrod speaker, a more british sounding loud speaker with 8 ohms so the amp delivers 25 watts. More than enough for rehearsals or club gigs.

But it´s also perfect for home use because of its built-in attenuator. It allows to reduce the output to 1/10 and 1/100 of the origin. 1/10 is too loud for a living room situation with a lot of neighbours but 1/100 works perfect for that. And for the real quiet thing you got the line/phones jack with speaker simulation which sounds ok but not that good like the tone with a good cab.

Conclusion:
    No, it´s not the Fender DR or Vox AC 30 killer. Also my Tweed Super amp really shines over the MV 50. But for the small money it delivers good sounds with no weight and some practicable functions. You don´t need a built-in reverb or a fx loop because you can run every pedal in front of the MV 50 clean. I like this little thing very much and I´m sure that I´ll use it for some small club gigs and also for home practice.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Congrats - it’s a handy little tool. I keep one in my bag for backup. Definitely plays well with pedal boards.

skerwo likes this.
  3. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Meanwhile I have to choose between the Vox MV50 and the EHX Magnum 44 as backup for my Tweed Super amp. I tend to the Vox.

guitarmikey likes this.
  4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Nice problem to have!

5. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Do not choose, run them in stereo! I have the M44 and the MV50 AC and I am so keen to get that stereo sound...

skerwo likes this.
  6. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

guitarmikey likes this.
  7. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Here some sounds with my MV50 clean. Recorded with Samsung Galaxy S7 directly to YouTube.

apocapsile and guitarmikey like this.
  8. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Played my MV50 a few days ago for an audition with a new band I´m going to join in. Small pedalboard with a clone of the KoT, TC Spark booster and BOSS DD-3, 1x10 cab with an Eminence Ramrod.

It´s a 4 piece band, bass, drums, two guitars. The rehearsal was real quiet, very good drummer that can play powerful also without hitting the set like a fool. The other guitarplayer played a 4x12 Orange cab with an Orange TH30, he also had a very good quiet sound with this stack.

So I played the MV50 with the attenuator in the 1/10 position and volume up half way. More than loud enough and I got good feedback for the sound of this mini-stack. I´m very happy with this little amp and with the new band. We´re playing mostly southern rock, country, classic rock stuff mixed with some own songs, f.e. Blackberry Smoke tunes like Six ways to sunday. Two good singers and I´m going to fill in for the back vocals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.