NAD - Vox Amplug 2 :)

Heartbreaker_Esq

TDPRI Member
Ad Free Member
1674647408193.png

Ok, so obviously I'm playing around a little by marking this as NAD. But honestly I'm surprised at how good this thing sounds, and how much fun I'm having with it. I have headphones with a pretty long cord, so I've even been able to stick it at the end of my pedalboard so I can play with everything. But it's also great to just plug-and-play on its own.

I mostly bought it ($40) as a way to test out a guitar I was going to buy on Craigslist, but I find myself reaching for it a lot now. And my wife appreciates the drop in decibels too.

Attachments

• IMG-3874.jpg
    IMG-3874.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I use one like that the same way: to play my guitar when I'm away from the amp, as a boost at the end of one or more pedals to play with headphones, or to test out guitars that I'm interested in buying when remote from power.

I'll suggest getting or making up a very short extension cable so that you don't have that unit plugged directly into the guitar or even the pedals. Over time the "plug" will loosen no matter how careful you are with it.

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
I got one a few months ago, have been using the bass version for years. I had a gift card to my local guitar store and had them order the “blues” specifically, the gain options, delay and reverb were all appealing.

I really like it! I pretty much just leave it on the medium gain, short delay. I use it often

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
I have the same one (Blues/tweed) plus the little speaker cabinet they make for it. It gets used mostly for practicing on the back patio when I don't want to annoy the neighbors. One thing about the tiny speaker cab - if you play with any overdrive at all, it needs either a brand new 9-volt battery in the speaker unit or a wall adapter. Anything less leads to the signal disintegrating into nothing when there's a call for more than minimal power. The Amplug + headphones don't have that problem. It's a function/failing of the speaker unit.

Last edited:

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
There's a link embedded in the word "this" - it goes here:

Ah, thanks. TDPRI, for reasons I can't understand, makes links a lighter text in a less visible font and removes the industry standard underline from them. Polar opposite of good web design, but, "whatever".

In a catch-22 or irony, their forum software also embeds Amazon links in "Media" tags... and those don't make it through an ad blocker. So I can't see your link in the re-post. But I looked at it on my phone, where there's no blocker and it was there. That problem has been reported multiple times but neither this forum or any of the sister forums seem to want to fix it as it is apparently tied into their click-revenue process in some weird way.

BUT, rant over, that cable would work. You don't actually need TRS since the connection from guitar to amp is two wire TS. So you could use something that's just 1/4" male to female.

I prefer a short cable and I just hook it over the strap like you might do with a wireless transmitter. You can get 6", 12", 18" although you might have to look a bit. Also, you might want a right angle male plug if you're playing a LP, etc as you can sit down with them plugged in. But with a Tele, straight plug is the way to go unless you flip your jack button to be an out-ie or can find a right angle that will work.

Here's a 18" right angle that might work on a Tele as it has a deep plug. But it's molded so expect a years at best before it stops working right. At least they come in two packs, LOL.

Link to cable is here!

Octorfunk

Tele-Holic
I've used them for years, the AC30 unit is pretty spot-on. Do any of you guys find them overly bassy though? Maybe it was the headphones I was using, but there seemed to always a bit of low-end mud that I could never completely dial out.

That shouldn't be viewed as a dealbreaker though, I played with these live going to the PA from a little 3.5mm direct box.

The effects are pretty useful as well; great useable delay/reverb.